richarDISNEY

Any new waves/material???

Good morning!

Other than the SSD next year, have we heard any rumblings of any new material for SW:A?

It seems like FFG is not really supporting this game anymore.  Even their re-prints take fffffffooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................

1 hour ago, richarDISNEY said:

Good morning!

Other than the SSD next year, have we heard any rumblings of any new material for SW:A?

It seems like FFG is not really supporting this game anymore.  Even their re-prints take fffffffooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................

Well, I guess you’ve learned about the secret content we aren’t openly discussing...   If there were any inkling of other releases it would be the talk of the forum. 😉

Edited by The Jabbawookie

1 hour ago, richarDISNEY said:

Good morning!

Just epic format and the newest prize support for tournaments.  Nothing else at the moment.

2 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Rebellions are built on hope!

For me hope has turned to a feeling anger (I guess I really am an imperial at heart) or rather neglect. Not because there is no Armada news (I am used to that by now) but because all the other big Star Wars properties are getting almost flooded with expansions and articles recently. I used to not care when I saw a new Legion or X Wing article on the website but by now this has turned into kind of a sad feeling. "Again a new Legion expansion" *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I know this is irrational and I understand what is going on at FFG. X-Wing just got a new edition and Legion "just" launched. But with every new expansion they get I as an Armada player just feel more and more neglected. 😔

Edited by LordCola

2 hours ago, xero989 said:

January...optimistic ...wave 8 soon.

( I don't think this removes anything from context, it just kills me that this game is going to hit a year without a release)

2 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Rebellions are built on hope!

This rebellion is developing cancer

1 hour ago, LordCola said:

For me hope has turned to a feeling anger (I guess I really am an imperial at heart) and neglect. Not because there is no Armada news (I am used to that by now) but because all the other big Star Wars properties are getting almost flooded with expansions and articles recently. I used to not care when I saw a new Legion or X Wing article on website but by now this has turned into kind of a sad feeling. "Again a new Legion expansion" *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I know this is irrational and I understand what is going on at FFG. X-Wing just got a new edition and Legion "just" launched. But with every new expansion they get I as an Armada player just feel more and more neglected. 😔

not gonna lie, bummed me right tf out when i saw that the new release for Legion is their 22nd in a 6 month period and we're on 27ish at 4 years. 

1 hour ago, dominosfleet said:

( I don't think this removes anything from context, it just kills me that this game is going to hit a year without a release)

This rebellion is developing cancer

not gonna lie, bummed me right tf out when i saw that the new release for Legion is their 22nd in a 6 month period and we're on 27ish at 4 years. 

Eh, I don’t feel the Legion releases are as comprehensive as Armada ones are to justify a 1:1 comparison...  Especiakky since each ship release has provided a fundamental way to change your list each time (Commander).

Just feels like it takes 2-3 Legion releases to be worth an Armada one... Sure, they’re still pumping out quickly, but the disparity doesn’t seem as large for me.

6 hours ago, xero989 said:

I also anticipate that we will hear about wave 8 soon.

Not until after we get the SSD.  FFG isn't going to announce wave 8, which I am guessing will be small/medium ships, before they release their $200 expansion.  It would eat into sales.  Don't get me wrong, I love that we are getting the SSD, but I think it will likely be gimmicky.  I don't expect it to be very competitive in 400 point tournament play and mirror matches will be awful.  I look forward to what is instore fore the non tournament legal ships, that could be fun but mostly the 400 point game is where it is at.

I just hope we get wave 8 before Gencon next year.  My HOPE would be a couple months after we get the SSD so maybe we could have it released at Gencon.  Thats optimistic though.

With X-Wing up to 7 factions ships are going to be pumping out for X-wing to get the smaller/newer factions up to speed.  Legion will probably shift from GCW to Clone wars at some point next year so there will be no slowing for Legion.  The thing with Legion is I know very few folks that play both factions so how many will jump into a new faction?  Hard to say.

I just don't know where FFG's manufacturing capacity is at.  I just fear there isn't much room for Armada at this point, especially as they use the same printers and painters as X-Wing.

3 hours ago, Thrindal said:

Not until after we get the SSD.  FFG isn't going to announce wave 8, which I am guessing will be small/medium ships, before they release their $200 expansion.  It would eat into sales.  Don't get me wrong, I love that we are getting the SSD, but I think it will likely be gimmicky.  I don't expect it to be very competitive in 400 point tournament play and mirror matches will be awful.  I look forward to what is instore fore the non tournament legal ships, that could be fun but mostly the 400 point game is where it is at.

I just hope we get wave 8 before Gencon next year.  My HOPE would be a couple months after we get the SSD so maybe we could have it released at Gencon.  Thats optimistic though.

With X-Wing up to 7 factions ships are going to be pumping out for X-wing to get the smaller/newer factions up to speed.  Legion will probably shift from GCW to Clone wars at some point next year so there will be no slowing for Legion.  The thing with Legion is I know very few folks that play both factions so how many will jump into a new faction?  Hard to say.

I just don't know where FFG's manufacturing capacity is at.  I just fear there isn't much room for Armada at this point, especially as they use the same printers and painters as X-Wing.

That is a dumb idea considering it would be at least 3-4 months out minimum. I mean how does the SSD eat into sales of Rebel only players exactly? :P

We as admirals and commanders are masters of patience and grand strategy. Those little hot shot flyboys and over eager grunts on the ground don't have the patience to wait a year between waves, we do. FFG knows this, thats why we have to wait so long between waves. Its not because FFG prefers the other games, they just know we have the patience to wait 😉

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

That is a dumb idea considering it would be at least 3-4 months out minimum. I mean how does the SSD eat into sales of Rebel only players exactly? :P

Not sure how dumb it is actually - I now need to buy 2-4 of every future expansion as soon as it launches for fear of it never being restocked again...

It’s a fair point about x wing now having 7 factions to support. Legion could easily go the same route.

Doesnt seem like it leaves a whole lot of room for Armada. I don’t need armada releases at the speed those games do but 2 waves a year I don’t think is particularly unreasonable, if you intend to keep your fan base engaged & inviting to potential new players.

It kinda seems like it’s only the rampant enthusiasm of existing players is keeping this ship afloat. FFGs engagement strategy (or lack of) seems very risky at best.

I think Armada getting less stuff than Legion in general is actually right. The requirements for model variety and count are just completely different for capital ship and infantry based games. The Legion guys just don't have the amount of per unit customization we get. They make up for it by having more different units to customize on a army level. Also let's not forget that it's cheaper and faster for FFG to produce unassembled and unpainted miniatures.

And X-Wing just started a new edition introducing factions in the process. Those have to brought to equal competitive levels.

I guess we have to wait until those 2 get settled before getting anything new announced. It don't think that will be before Christmas and definetly not directly afterwards when no one buys anything.

15 hours ago, LordCola said:

Don't get me wrong, I know this is irrational and I understand what is going on at FFG. X-Wing just got a new edition and Legion "just" launched. But with every new expansion they get I as an Armada player just feel more and more neglected. 😔

Nope, it's not irrational. It's just rational from a "relative-gains" (political) perspective, rather than "absolute-gains" (economic) perspective. As social beings, we're actually wired to think in relative-gains terms, because we know that there is only so much stuff to go around the group, and we need to maintain our share.

Unfortunately, FFG can disregard us in their own relative-gains struggle against Games Workshop, because we don't eat into GW's pie, while Legion does.

6 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Because with nothing to fill the gaping hole in your desires, you Rebels may succumb to the lure of the Dark Side and give in to your addiction.

1 hour ago, ISD Avenger said:

It’s a fair point about x wing now having 7 factions to support. Legion could easily go the same route.

Doesnt seem like it leaves a whole lot of room for Armada. I don’t need armada releases at the speed those games do but 2 waves a year I don’t think is particularly unreasonable, if you intend to keep your fan base engaged & inviting to potential new players.

It kinda seems like it’s only the rampant enthusiasm of existing players is keeping this ship afloat. FFGs engagement strategy (or lack of) seems very risky at best.

This.

2 releases per year, even small ones, would be eksellent.

What we've got is far less than that.

Anyway, just got into X-wing with the 2.0 release... so yeah, about those 7 factions... might need another shelf in my "home office" soon...

5 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

This.

2 releases per year, even small ones, would be eksellent.

What we've got is far less than that.

Anyway, just got into X-wing with the 2.0 release... so yeah, about those 7 factions... might need another shelf in my "home office" soon...

Honestly, just for personal reasons, I'm kind of content that Armada is a little comatose at the moment. There's so much change in my life that I would not be able to keep up.

I'm also giving X-Wing (1st ed) another look because I have much of the stuff (though few of the expansions from the past 2 years), and it's a good gateway drug for some of the locals who are still enslaved to GW. Furthermore, in my household there are more of the RPG-ing sort of people, with whom I can use the X-Wing (and maybe Armada) stuff to flesh out our WEG D6 RPG experience. I even wrote some rules to have X-Wing provide the visual and tactile gaming aids.

But, I think you're all quite right that Armada's comatoseness is like strangulation for the Armada-playing community.

24 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Furthermore, in my household there are more of the RPG-ing sort of people, with whom I can use the X-Wing (and maybe Armada) stuff to flesh out our WEG D6 RPG experience. I even wrote some rules to have X-Wing provide the visual and tactile gaming aids.

Those WEG D6 RPG are wonderful. They provide so many really good ideas and wonderful adventures that esteem the style of Star Wars films. The only thing I would never use are the rules for vehicles and vehicle-combat which are way too complicated. Make it as simple as role playing rules should be!

2 hours ago, Triangular said:

Those WEG D6 RPG are wonderful. They provide so many really good ideas and wonderful adventures that esteem the style of Star Wars films. The only thing I would never use are the rules for vehicles and vehicle-combat which are way too complicated. Make it as simple as role playing rules should be!

I agree, but I think that as rules for vehicles and vehicle combat go - especially at the time when this game was published - this was pretty much as simple as it got for non-fantasy RPGs.

4 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I agree, but I think that as rules for vehicles and vehicle combat go - especially at the time when this game was published - this was pretty much as simple as it got for non-fantasy RPGs.

Still have my WEG stash...

But we use FFG RPG system last time we play SW RPG. The core system is superb IMO, but the vehicle rules are really not very good. Or poorly explained, I dunno.

Also the actual implementation of talents, and especially force powers, quickly escalated to silly levels. But could be tweaked I suppose.

Point is the WEG rules are at least as good - and more simple.