veiv

R.I.P. Solo? - Original Trilogy Heroes

11 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Well, that’s why I’m here too. You’re not entirely alone.

I just realized after reading my initial message that it could be read with a slightly antagonistic, ‘more fun than thou’ tone—which was not at all my intent! Just wanted to clarify. All I meant was that I’m not a competitive player, so stats matter less to me than character. :)

Nobody at my FLGS even plays Legion (or X-Wing or Armada, for that matter—it’s a sadly GW-centric community), so all of my games are at home with family and friends—so, no mirror matches for us, either.

7 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I don't know what they were thinking putting him in that trench coat :( It has kept me from buying him at all.

I did buy the expansion, but I’ve been proxying in the IA Han mini—the scale is slightly off (more in the proportions than height), but rebased on one of the chunky Legion bases, it’s scarcely noticeable. ANH Han will forever be the most iconic. :)

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I did buy the expansion, but I’ve been proxying in the IA Han mini—the scale is slightly off (more in the proportions than height), but rebased on one of the chunky Legion bases, it’s scarcely noticeable. ANH Han will forever be the most iconic. :)

Not only that but anyone with a little gumption can turn Han in a vest into Han in a long sleeved jacket ESB (or TFA) Han, and Han also appears in a vest in ROTJ... so... vesty Han is best all around option if you can only sculpt one. A trenchcoat is a bit oddly specific. I could see it if I believed FFG intended to sell us lots of different variants on the heroes. But that doesn't seem to be their style, as far as I can tell. However my experience with owning FFG  stuff is limited to IA and Legion.

8 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Darth Maul is typically treated as being aligned with the CIS because of his connection to the Trade Federation in Episode 1. For instance, he's a CIS pilot option for the Sith Infiltrator in X-Wing. I guess they figure more people will buy him because they think he's cool and they want to play with him than will complain that he's not CIS. Otherwise the other options are just to say "you can't have him because lore-nerds will cry" or "here's an entirely new faction composed of literally only Darth Maul and Darth Sidious." They will generally tend towards selling minis to people that want them as opposed to not doing so for canon reasons. Those of us that don't like it (I'm not a huge fan of him being CIS, honestly) can just deal with it and not buy him.

"Typically" is a stretch based on one iteration.  

Especially because the only other way he exists so far in the minis games is as a Scum character:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imperial-assault/products/maul-villain-pack/

You don't need a new faction for Darth Sidious.  He was clearly on the side of the CIS having, ya know, helped create it.  Heck, I'd love to see a double sided card with Sheeve on one side and Sidious on the other.  

But as someone above said, Darth v not Darth.  

2 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Heck, I'd love to see a double sided card with Sheeve on one side and Sidious on the other.

The new ARC-170 see expansion for X-Wing appears to have both a Palpatine and a Darth Sidious crew card that seems line it is a double sided card. Can't confirm but still...

On 11/22/2018 at 11:41 PM, NeonWolf said:

The new ARC-170 see expansion for X-Wing appears to have both a Palpatine and a Darth Sidious crew card that seems line it is a double sided card. Can't confirm but still...

Cannot unsee Palpatine riding on the wing of an ARC-170, BF Heroes-style, flinging lightsabers and lightning to the left, and senatorial paperwork to the right.header_413_battlefield_heroes.jpg

Edited by aniron

Ive played Han several times now, and hes been the sole reason Ive won the game in more than a few . In my last game along with a rebel commando unit he managed to take out veers and a trooper unit and keep soaking hits from an atst for long enough that my other trooper units could back hit the atst into oblivion. He was at 5 wound but he was solid.

31 minutes ago, syrath said:

Ive played Han several times now, and hes been the sole reason Ive won the game in more than a few . In my last game along with a rebel commando unit he managed to take out veers and a trooper unit and keep soaking hits from an atst for long enough that my other trooper units could back hit the atst into oblivion. He was at 5 wound but he was solid.

Played him for the first time yesterday and absolutely loved him. I fully reverse my decision on Han vs. Jyn.

Solo is awesome, just played it today for the first time, his Reckless Diversion command card completely negated the Flamer card of Boba Feet, since Bobas'prey couldn't be attacked because I choosed a farther away trooper unit for my activation. Solo also took lot of shots, he was down to 6 suppression token at end of turn 3! He will be even more awesome with Chewi!

12 hours ago, Xiervak said:

Played him for the first time yesterday and absolutely loved him. I fully reverse my decision on Han vs. Jyn.

Han is unkillable (even if he evantually panics and starts to run into his demise, it's ok)!

3 hours ago, xmarkusx said:

Han is unkillable (even if he evantually panics and starts to run into his demise, it's ok)!

The white dice seem detrimental but it turns out when you get to roll them twice that he is actually fairly durable! I ran him with Leia for the extra dodge tokens too. Looking forward to Chewie coming out!

On 11/22/2018 at 1:49 AM, Zrob314 said:

But please, in what game is he a member of the CIS?

Since these games have ignored the utterly pedantic and useless distinction between "Separatists" and "CIS," you can find Darth Maul in the same faction as Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, Grievous, Destroyer Droids, and the all of the rest in the following games:

Star Wars Miniatures (WotC), Star Wars CCG (Decipher), Star Wars Young Jedi (Decipher), Star Wars TCG (Wotc), Galactic Connexions (Topps), Star Wars Epic Duels (Hasbro), and Star Wars X-Wing (FFG), just to name a few off the top of my head.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Since these games have ignored the utterly pedantic and useless distinction between "Separatists" and "CIS," you can find Darth Maul in the same faction as Nute Gunray, Count Dooku, Grievous, Destroyer Droids, and the all of the rest in the following games:

Star Wars Miniatures (WotC), Star Wars CCG (Decipher), Star Wars Young Jedi (Decipher), Star Wars TCG (Wotc), Galactic Connexions (Topps), Star Wars Epic Duels (Hasbro), and Star Wars X-Wing (FFG), just to name a few off the top of my head.

I meant FFG.  Other publishers and pre-disney licenses have no impact on this game.

So, we're 1:1 on Scum and CIS.  

Good. 

(also Epic Duels didn't have factions, yes DM is shown with two battle droids but again, the battle of Naboo was years before the CIS was formed.)

1 hour ago, Zrob314 said:

I meant FFG.  Other publishers and pre-disney licenses have no impact on this game.

So, we're 1:1 on Scum and CIS.  

Good. 

(also Epic Duels didn't have factions, yes DM is shown with two battle droids but again, the battle of Naboo was years before the CIS was formed.)

Interesting, you did not specify FFG in your op: "But please, in what game is he a member of the CIS?"

So more like, you're just wrong. Enjoy it my friend! 

1 hour ago, Xiervak said:

Interesting, you did not specify FFG in your op: "But please, in what game is he a member of the CIS?"

So more like, you're just wrong. Enjoy it my friend! 

That's a fair criticism, but I was speaking about FFG games, I didn't think I needed to specify that in an FFG forum about FFG games.  But sure, let's do this  

Miniatures: he's Separatist (which as AWSB said earlier we can read as CIS and for the remainder of this post CIS means "CIS or Separatists".) but they stopped publishing this game 4 years before the world knew Maul would be coming back as a crime lord. 

Star Wars CCG: There is no CIS in that.  There's Light Side and Dark Side.  He's also listed as a "Dark Jedi" rather than a Sith.  He also doesn't have a CIS symbol on his cards where that would go, he has his own face.  

Star Wars Young Jedi: Again the CIS isn't in this game because it was published in 1999, a full 3 years before we knew what the CIS was.  

Star Wars TCG: The CIS is also not a faction in this game.  Players choose light side and dark side.  Maul's card does not have any sort of CIS heraldry visible on it.  

Galactic Connexions: Doesn't even have factions near as I can tell.  No one's affiliation is listed on their pog.

Epic Duels: As said earlier, no factions.

Star Wars Living Card Game: Again, light side v dark side.  He is, however, given the Affiliation of "Sith".  CIS is not an affiliation in the game, according to the rule book anyway.

Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion: Maul and the CIS are not in this game, obvi.

Star Wars Destiny: There is only Hero, Villain and Neutral in this game.  Maul is a Villain.  His card is also clearly from the Rebels time period when he is only on his own side.  

X-Wing: Will Be CIS

Imperial Assault: Scum

Does not appear in Armada, Rebellion or Legion at this time. 

So, he's CIS in one game so far, and will be in another one next year.  I'm pretty comfortable with my earlier statement that Maul is not "typically" a CIS character. 

5 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

That's a fair criticism, but I was speaking about FFG games, I didn't think I needed to specify that in an FFG forum about FFG games.  But sure, let's do this  

Miniatures: he's Separatist (which as AWSB said earlier we can read as CIS and for the remainder of this post CIS means "CIS or Separatists".) but they stopped publishing this game 4 years before the world knew Maul would be coming back as a crime lord. 

Star Wars CCG: There is no CIS in that.  There's Light Side and Dark Side.  He's also listed as a "Dark Jedi" rather than a Sith.  He also doesn't have a CIS symbol on his cards where that would go, he has his own face.  

Star Wars Young Jedi: Again the CIS isn't in this game because it was published in 1999, a full 3 years before we knew what the CIS was.  

Star Wars TCG: The CIS is also not a faction in this game.  Players choose light side and dark side.  Maul's card does not have any sort of CIS heraldry visible on it.  

Galactic Connexions: Doesn't even have factions near as I can tell.  No one's affiliation is listed on their pog.

Epic Duels: As said earlier, no factions.

Star Wars Living Card Game: Again, light side v dark side.  He is, however, given the Affiliation of "Sith".  CIS is not an affiliation in the game, according to the rule book anyway.

Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion: Maul and the CIS are not in this game, obvi.

Star Wars Destiny: There is only Hero, Villain and Neutral in this game.  Maul is a Villain.  His card is also clearly from the Rebels time period when he is only on his own side.  

X-Wing: Will Be CIS

Imperial Assault: Scum

Does not appear in Armada, Rebellion or Legion at this time. 

So, he's CIS in one game so far, and will be in another one next year.  I'm pretty comfortable with my earlier statement that Maul is not "typically" a CIS character. 

I'd argue that because the CIS as a whole isn't any many games, that it's not really a fair assessment to say that Maul isn't a typical CIS character. In games that do have the CIS in them, he is listed as affiliated with them.

3 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I'd argue that because the CIS as a whole isn't any many games, that it's not really a fair assessment to say that Maul isn't a typical CIS character. In games that do have the CIS in them, he is listed as affiliated with them.

And I'd say we don't have a large enough sample size to make that inference.  Also some of the games I listed above do have CIS characters, but it is not a separate playable faction.  Maul's cards do not have CIS heraldry in any of the games other than X-wing and SW Miniatures

Look, I really don't care if they make him CIS in legion.  I think it's silly in X-wing because they already have a scum faction that he fits in perfectly in both of his iterations (similar to how I don't think Boba should have an imperial card)  If they make a neutral/scum faction for legion he -should- go in there in both of his iterations, but they probably will put Darth version in CIS and Force User Formerly Known As version of scum.  

15 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

And I'd say we don't have a large enough sample size to make that inference.  Also some of the games I listed above do have CIS characters, but it is not a separate playable faction.  Maul's cards do not have CIS heraldry in any of the games other than X-wing and SW Miniatures

Look, I really don't care if they make him CIS in legion.  I think it's silly in X-wing because they already have a scum faction that he fits in perfectly in both of his iterations (similar to how I don't think Boba should have an imperial card)  If they make a neutral/scum faction for legion he -should- go in there in both of his iterations, but they probably will put Darth version in CIS and Force User Formerly Known As version of scum.  

Boba isn't an Imperial any more in 2.0. Also, Maul is Scum and Darth Maul is CIS. They are allowed to make different version of the character based on different times in that character's life. They wanted to add the Sith infiltrator because people like it and so they added the most famous pilot of that ship to the faction that makes the most sense for him to be in when he flew that ship.Having Darth Maul in the CIS is no different than flying Corran Horn next to Biggs Darklighter.

11 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Boba isn't an Imperial any more in 2.0. Also, Maul is Scum and Darth Maul is CIS. They are allowed to make different version of the character based on different times in that character's life. They wanted to add the Sith infiltrator because people like it and so they added the most famous pilot of that ship to the faction that makes the most sense for him to be in when he flew that ship.Having Darth Maul in the CIS is no different than flying Corran Horn next to Biggs Darklighter.

Sure, I just thought Darth Maul should be Scum is all.

Honestly I've thought for a long time that there should be factionless units that can fight on either side, or that come with pilots of all factions, or pilots of two factions.  

I don't know if that's how they're doing it in 2.0. I'm not really playing X-wing these days.

Edited by Zrob314