veiv

R.I.P. Solo? - Original Trilogy Heroes

Point blank: Does anyone seriously use, or plan on using Han in their list? Particularly with the upcoming release of Jyn, it seems that he will become obsolete. I love this game and will continue to play regardless, but it seems unfortunate that one of the most iconic if not the most iconic Star Wars hero is mediocre at best. Yes, the 2 pip card and pierce 2 etc. are good, but the stats on Jyn seem to eclipse his talents and worth significantly. Can Chewie save him or are we just skipping to Disney? For the rebellion, both Leia & Luke are well rendered in the game but it really appears that Han has got the short end. For the Imperials, Veers & Palpatine seem on point but there is always the debate on Vader. Similarly, do you think that Maul will eclipse Vader etc.?  

Consolation: Rogue One is the best prequel by light years, so could be worse... 

Han has been exellent for me at least, he's been a real pain in the *** to be killed (duck & cover anyone?) and his gunslinger is suprisingly effective. Jyn looks like really good too, but i love the fact that you can play with different setups each match, having variety is nothing but good. I've played more with Luke & Han than Leia at this point overall. Can't wait for more R1 content, cuz i totally agree it's the best prequel (i liked SOLO too, but R1 was siiick)!

8 minutes ago, aniron said:

Maul if/when released would not be Empire but CIS, and likely an operative rather than a commander, so that point is moot.

I see Krennic working very differently than Veers, let alone Vader/Palpatine. 

Maul was never affiliated in any way with the CIS, he'd be scum.

3 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Maul was never affiliated in any way with the CIS, he'd be scum.

Maybe not CIS but certainly the trade federation in EpI.

Methinks the Maul-droid army affiliation is solid enough, whereas he as about as much affiliation with the Empire as he does with the Rebellion. 

How did a post about Han Solos worth turn into a post about Maul??? 🙂

I had the exact same thought about Han when I saw Jyns card. I dont play Han now, I think he will need Chewie to really show his true worth, plan to proxy the them with imp assault miniatures when they come but wont buy them yet (playing on astrict budget).
They are alike in many ways (defence aibilites) but they also are different, I would have loved to see courage 3 on Han, that is something that is missing, so he could take better use of duck and cover and an extra white dice on his attacks so he could peek at 3 dmg.

Will see how it turns out but if I had to choose on or the other right now I would go with Jyn, she feel stronger.

Could both Jyn and Han be a good team, augment each other? Or perhaps all of them, Jyn, Han and Chewie?

Have fun
Landoro

I am not sure Jyn will completely eclipse Han.  Sure she looks good, but I think Han is pretty fun to play and has some great tricks as well.  As others have said, his Gunslinger ability can be pretty good when you can get him up near multiple enemy units.  If you give him Duck & Cover (combined with Low Profile) and Uncanny Luck he tends to survive far longer than one would expect.  I think his command cards are great at messing up an opponents plans.  Reckless Diversion in particular can be a headache for an opponent if you play it right, protecting other units from taking hits/suppression. 

As much as I think Jyn and Han could be an effective combo, I am just not sure it is a good use of the points it would take to get both.  As I see things right now, if I am using Jyn, I will also likely be using one or two units of Pathfinders, to get out there close to the enemy at the very start and start putting pressure on them (and yes, taking pressure as well).  Just that is a good chunk of points, so I will likely use Leia or a generic commander (or no other commander) back with the corps and any support I might be able to fit in, to follow up behind the Pathfinders.  I am sure I will run Han with other types of lists, maybe even with a Pathfinder or two to see how it goes.

Had the same thought about Han too. I've seen Han in action a couple times and just was not wow'd like I thought I would be. But maybe I need to give him more of a chance.

Jyn really does seem like she make Han obsolete. We shall see.

I've had good luck using Solo. His attack isn't much, but it's almost always going to be two hits which you can't avoid. His defense is a lot better than it initially seems with duck and cover. I wish he had courage 3, but we can't have everything. I find that I prefer him over Leia, but that's mostly because I forget about Inspire 2 and take cover 2

Until we see the rest of the cards (command and upgrade) that come with Jyn we won't really know what she does, exactly. Yes, we have an idea that she can be a combat monster for a single turn (like Luke) and she can infiltrate, but she doesn't have the mobility that Luke does, the unit support that Leia does, and the pure shenanigans that Han has. They all do something different, which is good as it lends itself to different playstyles or lists.

Personally I have a good feeling seeing people making comments about not wanting to pick up certain expansions as that means that Legion has grown to a point where players have choices on how to run their armies, even with only two factions.

8 months ago when Legion came out (yes, it's only been 8 months) everyone had to run Luke/Vader and troopers. My, how the times have changed.

Honestly looking at it right now in a vacuum, Jyn is good but she's very (pardon the pun) solo. Until we see her higher level command cards, she gives nothing to say, Pathfinders except being a commander who can deep strike with them for her courage bubble. Otherwise her abilities are about combat efficiency for Jyn alone, and with Danger Sense and Nimble I don't know if she's got the ability to dance toe-to-toe with Vader or Palp n' Redbois in a melee, and her ability to hit at range is going to be very action dependant looks like. 

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I don’t play this game to win—I play it to have fun as a Star Wars fan. I’ll make use of upgrade cards and synergy between units in ways that seem beneficial, but aside from that, stats and special abilities are really the last thing I consider when picking units. Ultimately, I’m just a big kid playing with Star Wars toys. If I’m playing a scenario based on one of the movie (or comic or novel) battles in which Han was involved, I’ll use Han. If I’m playing a one-off line-up-and-shoot-each-other game, I might still choose Han for the same reason I might choose to drink my coffee out of my Han Solo mug that day—I like Han. :)

25 minutes ago, Xiervak said:

Bro do you even Episode 1? Or literally any other Star Wars game that includes Maul?

He is right though, the CIS didn't exist till after Episode 1.  By the time the CIS was around Maul was building a criminal empire.  That being said, until they release a "scum" faction CIS is where I would expect to see him.

Good thoughts all thx; looking forward to see if Chewie & Han can pull it off  -- Agreed that Maul will probably be an operative so prob not the best comparison to Vader. Anyone care to elaborate on favorite tactics with Han?

Maybe worth another thread, but as an aside it will be interesting to see how FFG treats Anakin relative to Luke and Vader. My guess is an Imperial mirror of Luke to some extent. Speed 2 move, jump 1, saber attack ~ 2red, 2 black, 2 white, pierce 2? Salut  

3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I don’t play this game to win—I play it to have fun as a Star Wars fan. 

Well, that’s why I’m here too. You’re not entirely alone.

I may not be “historically screen accurate” all the time but I do the best I can with having fun with my theoretical imperial units. When we have game night at home, we don’t do mirror matches on purpose - pairing up Rebel and imperial players. Obviously at FLGS we don’t have that but we still have fun. The FFG GC crowd is pretty laid back. 

8 hours ago, Xiervak said:

Bro do you even Episode 1? Or literally any other Star Wars game that includes Maul?

Probably more times than you did (I worked at a movie theater in 99)

The CIS didn't come into being until after Maul had been bisected.  

But please, in what game is he a member of the CIS?

Do you even episode 2?

4 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Probably more times than you did (I worked at a movie theater in 99)

The CIS didn't come into being until after Maul had been bisected.  

But please, in what game is he a member of the CIS?

Do you even episode 2?

Darth Maul is typically treated as being aligned with the CIS because of his connection to the Trade Federation in Episode 1. For instance, he's a CIS pilot option for the Sith Infiltrator in X-Wing. I guess they figure more people will buy him because they think he's cool and they want to play with him than will complain that he's not CIS. Otherwise the other options are just to say "you can't have him because lore-nerds will cry" or "here's an entirely new faction composed of literally only Darth Maul and Darth Sidious." They will generally tend towards selling minis to people that want them as opposed to not doing so for canon reasons. Those of us that don't like it (I'm not a huge fan of him being CIS, honestly) can just deal with it and not buy him.