tsuruki

Best and worst cards.

2 hours ago, Suttkus said:

Library Access is terrible!  Everytime I play it, I draw nothing but out-of-house cards I can't use and would have drawn at the end of my turn anyway!  I have drawn exactly ONE card I could actually use with Library access in about twenty games!  I think the luck gods hate me.  : - )

Not using a card correctly does not make it a bad card. :)   

13 hours ago, Suttkus said:

Library Access is terrible!  Everytime I play it, I draw nothing but out-of-house cards I can't use and would have drawn at the end of my turn anyway!  I have drawn exactly ONE card I could actually use with Library access in about twenty games!  I think the luck gods hate me.  : - )

Since you can always count your discard, archives, in play and in hand, you should always know how much Logos is left in your deck... Playing the card when the odds of drawing Logos are really low is probably not always the best time to play it.

3 hours ago, Krashwire said:

Since you can always count your discard, archives, in play and in hand, you should always know how much Logos is left in your deck... Playing the card when the odds of drawing Logos are really low is probably not always the best time to play it.

Of course. If he is only getting one card after playing library access, he is using it horribly wrong. I dont play it until i have at least 3 other logos in hand. However, if you combine it with some mothers, and some cards that allow you to draw cards like library of babble and Doc, and you have archived some logos cards, You can setup a blowout turn with this card. A hammer makes a terrible bottle opener. But sure is great if u need to put a nail in something!!!   

Just now, msieder said:

Of course. If he is only getting one card after playing library access, he is using it horribly wrong. I dont play it until i have at least 3 other logos in hand. However, if you combine it with some mothers, and some cards that allow you to draw cards like library of babble and Doc, and you have archived some logos cards, You can setup a blowout turn with this card. A hammer makes a terrible bottle opener. But sure is great if u need to put a nail in something!!!   

And then you are left over with a hand full of non logos cards, which will give you a back to back blowout turn in another house. Great card. 

4 minutes ago, msieder said:

And then you are left over with a hand full of non logos cards, which will give you a back to back blowout turn in another house. Great card. 

Logged in to the wrong account, or just didn't feel like editing?

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

18 minutes ago, Palpster said:

I love it when my opponents save up for their big Library Access turns. Restringuntus shuts them down hard every time 😂

Sure, that broken card is gonna mess up a lot of people plans...  

Starting to hate ammonia clouds. They clog up every mars deck that would other wise be good, provide no aember, and sometimes it does not even sweep your opponents board and risks you sweeping your own because of just some of the awkward times you can draw it and everything else in your deck. Even if you do sweep their board unless you managed to get one of your other mars creatures (which again most of the decks that have amonia clouds seem to only have like 4 it feels like) they will just get ahead of oyu by resetting their board.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, Suttkus said:

In fairness, you need to plan for the turn you'll be using Library Access.  Thin your deck of non-Logos as much as possible by playing non-Logos cards.  Save your Library Access turn until you have 4+ logos cards in hand and know that a disproportionate amount of your remaining deck is Logos.  You'll typically end up with a lot of Logos on the board and a handful of cards setting you up nicely for the next turn.  Half the time, I'll just pick Logos again and reap for a ton of aember.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:55 PM, msieder said:

Sure, that broken card is gonna mess up a lot of people plans...  

It's a single power creature.  How exactly is that broken?  It's annoying because it might cost you a turn, but if you can't handle a single power creature, you probably have bigger issues.

5 hours ago, KrisWall said:

It's a single power creature.  How exactly is that broken?  It's annoying because it might cost you a turn, but if you can't handle a single power creature, you probably have bigger issues.

I recently saw a permanent lockout using Restringuntus plus a few commons:  Control the Weak, Dominator Bauble, Witch of the Eye.  If you have the Witch in play and the rest in your hand (or in play), you can choose Dis and then your opponent never gets to choose a house for the rest of the game.  Works with Novu Archaeologist instead of the Witch, too.

Restringuntus is an annoyance by itself, but it can definitely play into poweful combos.

Bad Penny has so many ways she can be great. Very far from the worst card in the game.  

Worst card: EMP Blast

Always an anti-synergy card (since it stuns the creatures it comes with) and more often than not, hurts you just as much if not more than your opponent just to try and play it for amber.

Too many "best" cards to pick though.

15 hours ago, kerbarian said:

I recently saw a permanent lockout using Restringuntus plus a few commons:  Control the Weak, Dominator Bauble, Witch of the Eye.  If you have the Witch in play and the rest in your hand (or in play), you can choose Dis and then your opponent never gets to choose a house for the rest of the game.  Works with Novu Archaeologist instead of the Witch, too.

Restringuntus is an annoyance by itself, but it can definitely play into poweful combos.

Gotcha.  So, it's potentially problematic, but still requires that you have a deck with those cards.  Since it's so hard to get a deck with those cards for the average player, it's not REALLY a major problem.  Just super annoying when you run across it.

Among the best:  Shadow Self - mentioned above.  Miasma - prevent your opponent from using that amber to forge at the start of their turn.  Bait and Switch - mentioned above.  Mantle of the Zealot ("This creature gains, "You may use this creature as if it belonged to the active house."") - unlike Experimental Therapy, which also stuns and exhausts the given creature, the mantled creature does not belong to every house (only the active one (and the one it actually belongs to)) and cannot be so easily shut down with things like Blinding Light (which is also a fantastic card).  Dominator Bauble (artifact "Action:  Use a friendly creature.") is possibly the most uniformly good artifact.  Martian Hounds ("Play:  Choose a creature.  For each damaged creature, give the chosen creature two +1 power counters.") - wow.

Nexus is a little more situational - your opponent needs to have an artifact with an action you can use - but it does allow you to prevent them from using that artifact for as long as you can, and he works as a threat to delay them playing their artifacts for fear of your using them.

Worst:  Speed Sigil ("Play:  The first creature played each turn enters play ready.") worries me.  I don't like my opponent getting carte blanche to bum-rush me.  One Last Job ("Play:  Purge each friendly Shadows creature.  Steal 1[A] for each creature purged this way.") is surely too costly to be worthwhile.

Biomatrix Backup.  It's your opponent's choice to put this into your archives if they kill them.  However, it has been pointed out to me that you can drop this onto one of your characters (say a low HP Chuff Ape) and then attack with that creature.  Upon its death (by your hand) it may be placed into your archives and not discard pile.  It's at least better than I first thought.  That said, mixed with other Martian cards like Uxlyx the Zookeeper, Sample Collection, & Mass Abduction, Biomatrix Backup becomes worse than useless, and actually becomes a threat.  Similar problem with Invasion Portal.  If, for some reason, your opponent can play Biomatrix Backup on you while you're archiving their cards (for instance because they're also Martian), they can force any of your creatures they can kill into your archives as a hostage.

Edited by Duciris
Formating

On 11/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, Revert said:

Best: Key Charge: Play: Lose 1[A]. If you do, you may forge a key at current cost.

it is way too easy for Untamed to get 7 Amber.

Worst: Key Abduction: Play: Return each Mars creature to its owners hand. Then, you may forge a key at +9[A] current cost reduced by 1[A] for each card in your hand.

Playing this first with no Mars creatures will cost you 10 Amber. No Mars creature has a good play effect, and several of them have bad ones. If you started with 6 Amber, you would have forged. Playing a card for 1 Amber increase the cost by the same amount. Mars has very few 2+ Amber cards that don't hurt this card in some way. This all means that this card only works with very specific other combos pieces, or if you have 3 or more Mars creatures on the board from earlier turns that your opponent was nice enough not to kill, and you started the turn with a good amount of Amber, and replaying those creatures isn't going to hurt more than it helps (or it is the final key). Keeping in mind that deck lists are public information, so your opponent will be looking for this.

There is a card that allows you to choose a house and you can pull EVERY card from that house back into your hand from the discard pile. This would allow you to have all of your mars creatures in your had at one time and you can play that card to get an at cost key in the middle of your turn if your opponent relies on steals/captures/etc.

P.S. also super broken with the untamed artifact that would allow you to dig into your discard pile and put that card back into your hand (hard to pull off but you could in theory have 2/3 of your deck in your hand at one time lol)

Edited by Space Modulator

I pretty much despise any card that hurts my creatures along with my opponents. Those cards seem like they will do more to hurt to me than my opponent. I've rarely been able to use them to my benefit and most of the time they just clog up my hand until I get the chance to discard them.

Best card is more difficult to pick. One of my favorites is Hand of Dis. Destroy a creature that is not on a flank. This card has allowed me to easily remove several creatures before they could become too big of a threat. 

13 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Worst: Ulyx the zookeeper. Okay He may not be the worst, but you use him to get rid of your opponent's best creature...and now you can't acces your archives without giving it back.

I love the Zookeeper.  He'd be terrible in archive heavy decks (notably Logos & Dis), but if you have no need for your archives, he's hilarious.  Pairs well with Sample Collection and Mass Abduction (both Martian cards) although he's opposed to Biomatrix Backup & Invasion Portal.  I like the idea of one of the houses being well outside the standard norm of deck behavior.

9 hours ago, Duciris said:

I love the Zookeeper.  He'd be terrible in archive heavy decks (notably Logos & Dis),

Gues what type of deck mine is in? ;)

Some of my decks enjoy self sabotaging themselves: Like the only deck that has the (Untamned) Common Cold in it, is the one that 's also full of martians. (Thank god it's a "may" ability.)

On 12/20/2018 at 7:54 AM, Duciris said:

Among the best:  Shadow Self - mentioned above.  Miasma - prevent your opponent from using that amber to forge at the start of their turn.  Bait and Switch - mentioned above.  Mantle of the Zealot ("This creature gains, "You may use this creature as if it belonged to the active house."") - unlike Experimental Therapy, which also stuns and exhausts the given creature, the mantled creature does not belong to every house (only the active one (and the one it actually belongs to)) and cannot be so easily shut down with things like Blinding Light (which is also a fantastic card).  Dominator Bauble (artifact "Action:  Use a friendly creature.") is possibly the most uniformly good artifact.  Martian Hounds ("Play:  Choose a creature.  For each damaged creature, give the chosen creature two +1 power counters.") - wow.

Nexus is a little more situational - your opponent needs to have an artifact with an action you can use - but it does allow you to prevent them from using that artifact for as long as you can, and he works as a threat to delay them playing their artifacts for fear of your using them.

Worst:  Speed Sigil ("Play:  The first creature played each turn enters play ready.") worries me.  I don't like my opponent getting carte blanche to bum-rush me.  One Last Job ("Play:  Purge each friendly Shadows creature.  Steal 1[A] for each creature purged this way.") is surely too costly to be worthwhile.

Biomatrix Backup.  It's your opponent's choice to put this into your archives if they kill them.  However, it has been pointed out to me that you can drop this onto one of your characters (say a low HP Chuff Ape) and then attack with that creature.  Upon its death (by your hand) it may be placed into your archives and not discard pile.  It's at least better than I first thought.  That said, mixed with other Martian cards like Uxlyx the Zookeeper, Sample Collection, & Mass Abduction, Biomatrix Backup becomes worse than useless, and actually becomes a threat.  Similar problem with Invasion Portal.  If, for some reason, your opponent can play Biomatrix Backup on you while you're archiving their cards (for instance because they're also Martian), they can force any of your creatures they can kill into your archives as a hostage.

Funny enough for me is that I have a deck with 3 biomatrix, a zookeeper a Chuff ape and 2 Dust Imps. The best way I have found to use these is actually to feed the ape. Place it on something with a play or destroy effect then kill that thing with the chuff ape to archive it. In addition you can put it on extremely key cards and if you have archived a couple of their cards with Zookeeper they may actually put it in your archive and then YOU get to decide when to give them their mixed bag back and get your synergy all at once or to just leave their stuff there, but it does give you the power. Just the fact that it gives me 1 aember has been good enough for me sometimes, it can sometimes make a card a threat they didnt think of as a threat.... (deck also has Eater of Dead and Yxilio blaster so purging in addition to archiving their cards, it is super fun to watch their best 5 or so creatures get purged or archived)