Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

Four Horsemen - Is Anyone Playing Them?

I've seen a few registered decks, but otherwise it seems like everyone is just posting them on eBay at $100+.  Is anyone actually playing with them?  Are they worth it?

They look like fun to me, but not as much as the ridiculous Niffle deck pulled by @Dave Cordeiro and posted over in the Rule of Six clarification question topic:

I played against a Horesemen deck at a launch party.  They're good cards, but two of them have an ability that only triggers when they're played.  Plus they're creatures, and so vulnerable to anything that affects creatures.  I think people are going nuts more for the rarity than for their actual power. 

42 minutes ago, Leganfuh said:

I play a horsemen deck. It's fun nur I can't retrace the hype around them. But it's likely that I am not good enough to use theire full potential.

It’s not you. While the Horsemen are good but their not game breaking, even together. First off they only have 5 power with no armor in the house whose specialty is armor. Death only recurs when played, so play it early and its just a 5 power creature, hold it back and its wasting a spot in your hand for other options. War enables your off-house creatures to exclusively fight, if they have non-fight abilities they can’t be used because they have to fight. Also if all you have is on house creatures that ability does nothing. Famine is ok but if your opponent has no creatures or only creatures with 6 or higher power, most Brobnar, it will have to kill itself or even another horsemen. Pestilence is ok but starts to hurting any non hoursemen creatures you have that where providing free abilities.

@Dave Cordeiro 😂 That doesn’t even count cause that deck of your is the nuts good.

I wonder if the Horsemen is just scratching the itch the collectors have. It's a new random game with rarity among the cards. Okay so what is the most collectible thing? Oh these cards are rare and tie together... They MUST be mine.

A store owner opened a few decks to teach the game with and it had some eight horsemen? I wonder if he pulled the trigger on selling that deck online.

The Horsemen  are a familiar theme that resonates with people. They are inherently rare because of the very nature of KeyForge. They are perceived as powerful. Everything you need to cause a frenzy on eBay for a card game.

This is ok though. Eventually, the good Horsemen decks in the hands of skilled players will earn the wins and reputation they deserve as will the bad Horsemen decks. People will come to realize there are both good and bad Horsemen decks and you need to be a skilled player to win with one at the highest levels. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:31 PM, Starbane said:

The Horsemen  are a familiar theme that resonates with people. They are inherently rare because of the very nature of KeyForge.

They really aren't that rare. A guy I know has gotten two and we had 4 turn up at the launch event. I go to three differing gaming stores to play games and each has at two or three players with a horseman deck.

Edited by sabrjay

Don't know.. they seem like a big part of the Sanctum house, taking up four card slots.

I doubt RG would create a game that feels so internally balanced, at least card-wise, and then screw up on a major Sanctum theme like the horsemen. I feel a lot of playtesting was put into this game. 

Without any competitive data, people tend to jump the hypetrain. I mean, day two or something after release people were posting things like "ok this game is dumb it's either you have horsemen or your deck sucks/you lose" which I feel is a ludicrous statement.

At this point people really don't know what is really powerful and what is not, there are also a lot of ways to deal with creatures. I also feel certain artifacts are much more powerful than creatures could ever be (but I am probably totally wrong). 

7 hours ago, Slipstreams said:

I feel a lot of playtesting was put into this game.

Doubtful. FFG manages too many different games to be able to give any one of them a fair shake in development. I mean, have you seen the rules? The card templating? Pretty much bog standard for a new FFG product, not sure why the cards themselves should be any different. We’ll count ourselves blessed if something analogous to an Imperial Officer never materializes, but for now, at least, I’m certain we don’t have to worry overmuch about the horsemen. 

At my launch party, I joked with the person opposite me to switch our unopened decks. He opened a Horseman deck and I opened a dumpster fire of a Dis/Logos/Brobnar deck. Still, he only got into 4th place, and when my deck worked, it was fun to play. 

Honestly, my FLGS still has unopened Archon decks on the shelf, so I'd rather just blind-buy 'em instead of spending $100 for one.

I wonder what part was Richard Garfield's work and which turned out to be FFG's. 
RG playtested this game with a whole team before FFG jumped on to create it, I'm sure?

I'm not too fond of FFG myself either, but from a card-to-card balance perspective, the game feels pretty balanced. 

Agree though, nothing to worry about Horsemen. They're not that good. 

Edited by Slipstreams

Looking at the horsemen again. Theyre just decent combat critters, a fight of 5 and no armor makes them inferior to most other sanctum knights as far as combat goes. Horseman of War is good if your deck has many beefy things in another faction. Pestilence is good at hampering elves and faeries. Famine is very solid but prone to murdering himself, especially against a Brobnar matchup. Death multiplies the power of the other Horsemen, but sucks if you draw him before the others.