sirfrancisdubois

Jyn Erso and Pathfinders Article Up

31 minutes ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

I think this is the first five figure unit (and you only get five if you use Pao, Bistan, or a Personnel figure)... Interesting.

First five figure unit?? Scout troopers (and I assume commandos), the base is 4 and then adding a heavy gives 5 for a max of 5 minis. Theres 7 total in the box to allow you to run a two man strike team along with the scouts.

Looks to be the same with Pathfinders, total of 6 minis. Base of 4 with two heavy options and you can take one. No extra personnel mini. So 5 mini max per unit.

Edited by Jman444

20 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Dunno about physically tougher, Han and Leia are both 6 Wounds, and Veers is 5 but with better armor. Jyn has more courage, but I think that's a bit more mechanical, or it could be chalked up to her kind of naivete or more zealous training with Saw - she's willing to risk more to succeed. 

Yeah, I'm going with your latter-most argument... Saw's a crazy dude and he was trained by Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Captain Rex. And I think Saw says that she was the best soldier he'd ever had or seen, which is pretty high praise for someone with his extra-military experience.

2 hours ago, Katarn said:

I'm not 100% convinced on Jyn being a more inspirational leader than Leia and physically tougher than Han, Leia or Veers.  She seems a bit more Mary Sue than the average character.

But that's just background, she probably fits into the game quite well for the points.  Courage 3 will help with the pathfinders' dauntless skill.

To be fair, she did inspire a handful of rebels to embark on a suicide mission for the rebellion, and she was a guerrilla fighter from a very young age.

2 hours ago, FSD said:

Everybody forgets Commandos are 5 because people only run the Strike Teams. 😂

I play 2 strike teams plus I use a full unit as an elite rebel trooper squad, throwing it in as a reserve or using it along with Solos reckless diversion and digging them both in under light cover while my other units go grab objectives.

7 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Seems fair. I also expect he will keep Quick Thinking. 

But he definitely is a guy who goes out and does things in person. Sure, he does it with a cadre of spec ops guards, but he personally went to Galen's farm, showed up on Scariff, etc. I never got around to reading Catalyst but doesn't he also wander around during the Clone Wars to get the research for Stardust started?

In Catalyst he arranges and leads a pretty dangerous rescue operation to get Galen and his wife. He certainly has combat and operations experience, and he's a pretty crafty guy. I'm hoping he'll be a more non-traditional commander (as compared to Veers). 

6 hours ago, Katarn said:

I'm not 100% convinced on Jyn being a more inspirational leader than Leia and physically tougher than Han, Leia or Veers.  She seems a bit more Mary Sue than the average character.

But that's just background, she probably fits into the game quite well for the points.  Courage 3 will help with the pathfinders' dauntless skill.

More Mary Sue than the other Star Wars characters? Compared to Luke, Anikin and Rey? Seriously? Jyn Erso is probably the least Mary Sue Star Wars lead.

2 hours ago, Jake the Hutt said:

More Mary Sue than the other Star Wars characters? Compared to Luke, Anikin and Rey? Seriously? Jyn Erso is probably the least Mary Sue Star Wars lead.

I meant in terms of the game as opposed to the movies.  And to be fair, Luke messes up.  A lot. Anakin also gets a fair number of bits chopped off of him.

You're right though, if they stick to the movies, once Rey gets here I'm sure she'll be a super-stealth-jedi-pilot-technician-leader-of-the-free-worlds.  She's very silly.

1 hour ago, Katarn said:

I meant in terms of the game as opposed to the movies.  And to be fair, Luke messes up.  A lot. Anakin also gets a fair number of bits chopped off of him.

You're right though, if they stick to the movies, once Rey gets here I'm sure she'll be a super-stealth-jedi-pilot-technician-leader-of-the-free-worlds.  She's very silly.

Mary Sues do tend to survive past the age of 21.

4 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Seems more like 2 than 3. Could just be the paint.

Left- handed soldier might be a Weequay. I kind of see the ridges in the sculpt. Of course, the painter gave him Caucasian skin on the arms so maybe it’s a bushy beard. 

16 minutes ago, FSD said:

Left- handed soldier might be a Weequay. I kind of see the ridges in the sculpt. Of course, the painter gave him Caucasian skin on the arms so maybe it’s a bushy beard. 

They look like goggles and a beard to me.

7 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

I'm just hoping Krennic and deathtroopers either bring along some great attack tech, or  a little defensive tech for the empire to use. 

That would be neat, and make sense  with Krennic's background in research and development. 

I have mixed feelings about this release. But generally I love it! 

I love the new abilities and the characters, Jyn is an awsome character, if they had fleshed her out more and given her more heroic action to perform in the movie she could have become a great character. She does compete with Han as a "light" hero, they have differences but are very similiar, I think that Jyn is a little bit more powerful but both together could also work well.

I would have like to see the pathfinders as a corps unit instead of Special forces, I thought of them as more "Heavy troopers"  than infiltrators, perhaps red defence and speed 1 was my guess (also guessed 2 whites at range 3).
Now they compete with the commandos and wookies instead. We have 4 special forces units but only 2 corps. I love using elite units so I am sad I cant have all the cool toys to play with.

Would have loved to see the "weapon" upgrade on the generic commander but otherwise I think it looks supercool and also like the reconfig mechanic, not sure how much it will be used since you have to recover to use it, exhaust weapons are not used at all basicly and recover is not used very much as an action in itself in my experience. Going to be interesting to how much this will be used.

The other abilities lok very interesting and good. Like quick thinking on Jyn.

Will wait for the reveal article before deciding if I buy them.

2 minutes ago, landoro said:

We have 4 special forces units but only 2 corps.

I can only assume you're counting the Commando Unit and the Commando Strike Team as 2 separate Spec-Ops, because otherwise the Pathfinders are the third Spec-Ops option available.