Merellin

How do you avoid buying every faction..?

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that swarm factions tend to be more expensive to get into compared to the others, so I would recommend choosing one faction that you can swarm in. You don't need to be able to fly a Howl/Sloan tie swarm (imp), and a drea swarm (scum), and a Vulture droid swarm(sep). It will help manage the damage a little. Also, if you decide to play two factions, I recommend going for two that have different play styles.

Rebels tend to focus on helping each other and spreading damage between them. Generally you are looking at 3-4 pilots with a few upgrades on each, or one giant turret with a couple cheap wingmen. By the end of the game you should have three very damaged, but very much alive ships desperately trying to kill the remaining enemies before they drop.

Imperials are either a giant block of tie fighters, or a handful of highly maneuverable and high initiative aces that are unbeatable, until you make the slightest mistake (or roll three blank green dice), then you are left with three smoking piles of rubble.

Scum plays by the code that you can beat anyone so long as you don't let them fight back properly. Token stealing, tractor tokens, the most consistent ion dealers AND stress control. They finish it all off by jamming their ships right next to the enemy and blowing them sky high.

We don't know much about the remaining factions but we can make the guess that resistance will have their ships be more independent than rebels. first order will be tougher but more expensive versions of their imperial counterparts. Separatists will fly a mini swarm of droids with an ace equipped with one of the new tactical relays. Republic ships will fly with a "leader" in the center providing buffs to the wing mates, while some Jedi whiz around being generally annoying

Edited by Toph

7 minutes ago, Toph said:

Scum plays by the code that you can beat anyone so long as you don't let them fight back properly.

This is exactly why I hate Scum.  A game for two people shouldn't have an entire faction dedicated to preventing the opponent from playing the game at all.

Just now, JJ48 said:

This is exactly why I hate Scum.  A game for two people shouldn't have an entire faction dedicated to preventing the opponent from playing the game at all.

I won't argue with you that Quadjumpers and Palob are both under-costed for the control they provide. And Boba with Han gunner is a bit strong/tough for his cost as well. But if the faction was costed properly I wouldn't hate it. 

Well, I started by converting the big three factions because I was already most of the way there.

When it was known Resistance and First Order were their own identities, I dropped Resistance ASAP because the only pilot I liked was Poe and of all the factions they are the one I like the least fluff wise. I traded the t70s I had from 1.0 for FO stuff to fill a conversion box.

I won’t buy into the prequels. I love them thematically but I can’t justify the expense. Realistically, I’m going to probably stop most buying after what I own is converted. Then I’ll wait on it and see which faction or two I’ll buy new stuff for. Scum is almost a certainty for me. I have to pick a backup between the others. Though for now with conversion kits, I have so much content to play through that I haven’t done yet I may not need to buy for some time.

Edited by ScummyRebel

1 hour ago, ForceM said:

A wise man once said(ish):

When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Play X-Wing with a piece of bread!

But a man CAN live on A-Wings alone. Looks like I've been doing this wrong ;) 

1 hour ago, Skitchx said:

I didn't in 1e.  But if a $30 ARC is any indication of what is to come, I will be forced to stick with the three original factions and probably build out Resistance and eventually FO.

Small = $20

Medium = $30

Large = $40

I know it kind of sucks when ARCs were $20 originally, but we really didn’t have any reason to believe they would do anything but this, ever since we had the prices for wave one of 2e. (The fact that you can get Lando’s falcon for ~$30 online right now is encouraging, admittedly. And if that was only $40 to begin with, considering it has an extra ship, it does mean there’s potentially some flex room... but I wouldn’t count on it.)

Edited by SpiderMana

I never bought into Scum, only Empire and Rebels, then Resistance and First Order. Only needed one converson kit for the two OT factions, and I will get the conversion kits for the ST factions, then I'm just going to buy a few more ships to fill out my conversion kits, then I far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty much done collecting. My 4 factions will be complete.

But I'm buying the Raider before i'm done. 

Echoing what others have said, you just gotta make the decision not to buy into everything. I went all-in on Imperial and First Order, and nearly so on Rebel and Resistance (passed on the YT-2400 and Resistance bomber because I don't like their looks). I picked up the Z-95/Y-Wing Scum set and a couple of other S&V ships, but stopped when I determined I didn't like flying that faction.

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Scum can be annoying, but nothing in X-wing is as bad as control gets in some games. I used to play MTG and one of my friends loved to run decks that basically dictated how their opponents played... or if they were allowed to at all. 

Edited by Hippie Moosen

4 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Scum can be annoying, but nothing in X-wing is as bad as control gets in some games. I used to play MTG and one of my friends loved to run decks that basically dictated how their opponents played... or if they were allowed to at all. 

Oh, yeah.  In card games, control decks basically turn the game into, "If I draw the correct cards, you lose; it just may take you a few turns to realize it."  Some control elements may be necessary, but if your entire deck/list is purposed to prevent the opponent from even playing, you may as well just play solitaire at that point.

I'm finding it pretty easy - I don't like most of the separatists ships, and so far the sequel ships are mostly just like the original trilogy's, so I'm not really interested in those factions.

So for me I'll just collect the ones I think look nice, which is Rebel, Empire, Scum (for Slave 1) and Republic.

22 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

I either play every faction or I eat. I cannot afford both.

In our circle whoever wins the fewest games of an evening is slaughtered and eaten by the rest of the players, and their toys divvied up.  It helps in two ways!

Edited by mazz0

u could buddy up with a friend and lend each other what u need that is cross faction. depends on them wanting to play one faction that is diff to urs and u both need to like the others faction too.

scum + imperials would work but other combinations are doable as well.

I personally did the unthinkable and sold my Imperials and Scum (I originally had all 3 conversion kits but return those 2). 

I figured I'd focus on one (since it's all new content) and once all the new factions are out, I could decide which others I'd want to play. 

I still have like 8 tie fighters for sale... :D

Edited by Danath