Merellin

How do you avoid buying every faction..?

So.. Question to all the veterans.. How do you manage to avoid buying every single faction..? Cus I'm new and I just cant decide what side I want to play and want stuff from every side.. xD I like the TIE variants the best, But every faction has ships I realy like the looks of so it is realy hard to pick a single faction..

We didn't. I'd wager that the majority (Krayt over/under anyone?) of us have purchased all of all three of the 1.0 factions (mostly due to the fact that many upgrades were only available in certain ships in factions you weren't interested in), and at least one conversion kit to bring them into 2.0... I think that wave 2.2 is when we'll see people not pursuing other factions, then when wave 2.x hits (CIS and GR), you'll really see people not mix around anymore. Personally, I've upgraded all 3 current factions to 2.0, and have flown Empire all but once. I haven't even punched out my scum dials yet.

Best choice is to go slow. Look up some youtube play videos, see how the different ships fly and the playstyles of the various factions. See if a local store has a gaming group and whether someone can teach/lend you some ships to try out. 

9 minutes ago, Merellin said:

So.. Question to all the veterans.. How do you manage to avoid buying every single faction..? Cus I'm new and I just cant decide what side I want to play and want stuff from every side.. xD I like the TIE variants the best, But every faction has ships I realy like the looks of so it is realy hard to pick a single faction..

My method? I keep investing in new factions until I run out of money. So right now my budget-induced self-control is limiting me to ~4-5 factions. :P

But I’m seriousness, @Ikka‘s suggestion is a good one. Start with just one faction and then see if other people will let you borrow ships to try out other factions. Also just playing games against other factions will give you a feel for them and which ones you want to invest in. 

Also, by limiting yourself to one faction now and telling yourself you might invest in other factions later, it allows to to wait until you find someone selling offf their used collection for cheap sometime down the road, so you can jump into new factions without spending quite as much money as you would otherwise. Plus it spreads the damage to your wallet out a bit. ;)

I have been trying to watch a lot of videos and battle reports of X-Wing 2.0 and I realy like the game from the one match I played so far. I bought 4 X-Wings for a simple list I tinkerd (Luke, Wedge and 2 Red Squadron Veterans I think.. The app said it was exactly 200 points) and I'm using that untill I'v decided what faction to realy build into.

But deciding what faction I should pick to actualy work on I struggle with so much and I want like.. Everything... xD The ships are just so cool!

In 1.0 you didn't, you bought them all.

It's not clear yet if it's going to be possible to avoid going across all 7 to get essential upgrades in 2.0.  I'm going to try and settle on 3 or 4 factions... quite possibly just ignoring all the Wave 3 factions entirely.

While I've bought Scum in 2nd, I haven't bought the conversion kit. I'm not sure I'll buy First Order at all, at least at first (shielded TIEs are not enough to entice me and I never got around to buying other stuff for FO in 1st).

That said, there's no way I won't be buying the Clone Wars era factions completely. I love all of those ships and the faction packs look like a good deal.

A lack of time to play all the different combinations and a robust local scene means that my Imperials (and soon, F/O but mostly due to the 1.0 faction overlap) always have someone to fight against. I personally have no interest in prequel factions, Scum or Rebels though I do have ships from each faction due to trades, need for 1.0 cards, etc.

Edited by impspy

I only got into the game a couple years ago, so I only had the couple Scum ships with overlap into other factions (since that was my friend’s main faction I didn’t bother), and about half the imperial stuff (while my friend had the other half—worked out pretty well to split a conversion kit).

Since 2.0 began, I’ve filled out my rebel conversion kit pretty nicely, prepared to fill out the Resistance kit, sold the FO and Scum stuff...

And now I’m preparing to drop upwards of $300 in the early spring 😅

I will probably stop buying scum now that I'm fully converted. I just have such little interest in them. I only had Scum ships in 1.0 because I wanted the upgrades. I won't buy in to CIS, but my locals are calling me out on it... I will prove them wrong.

My focus will be on the 3 R's of glue. Rebel, Resistance, and Republic....

even tho the biggest glue eating happens when you fly redline. 

2 hours ago, Merellin said:

Get to know people, help each other out. Simple

The best way to avoid buying into everything is thinking about diminishing returns.

You will probably get 90% of the fun buying perhaps 30% of the content (2 complete factions). Spending that last 70% will bring you the reminder 10% of enjoyment. That's not a great deal.

The way I see it, spend that 30% and if you indeed have the other 70% to spend, then diversify in other board/miniature games. There is plenty of good stuff besides X-Wing within the Star Wars universe and outside.

In 1.0 I collected nearly everything, the Tantive and Raider being the only exceptions.  For 2.0 I'm going to limit myself to three factions or less, but I haven't figured out what two factions beyond Scum that I want to keep/collect for.  At first I was going to keep collecting for the five I already had ships for but I can see that it's going to get very expensive and I don't have the time to play with all of these things.  I'd have to have three or four X-Wing nights a week to use 50-60 percent of all that stuff.

I'm hoping that as my five year old son gets older he will want to come with me and play some Xwing and get some more use out of all this stuff.