Sign in to follow this  
StGemma

LotRLCG Steam Version to be like tabletop version upon release?

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this has been asked, but, does anyone know if the Steam version of the game will be just like the tabletop version when they finish and release it (I thought I read that somewhere)? If anyone could point me in the right direction for the answer, that would be great too. Thank you so much! God bless.

Additionally, it would almost certainly not be cost-effective to make a one-to-one adaptation of the physical game. There are far too many fiddly rules, wonky interactions, etc. It would be a development nightmare.

1 hour ago, Seosaidh said:

Additionally, it would almost certainly not be cost-effective to make a one-to-one adaptation of the physical game. There are far too many fiddly rules, wonky interactions, etc. It would be a development nightmare.

But they done something similar with OCTGN, and that's free. Surely a group dedicated solely to that could pull it off?

In OCTGN you have to do everything yourself save for shuffling, so in the end it is like playing the tabletop game, just without a table and you do not need to search your cards from the binder. But you can play with someone from the other side of the Earth.

12 minutes ago, Amicus Draconis said:

In OCTGN you have to do everything yourself save for shuffling, so in the end it is like playing the tabletop game, just without a table and you do not need to search your cards from the binder. But you can play with someone from the other side of the Earth.

But surely a dedicated group of software developers could achieve this. Magic Duals is fairly complex I would assume and it's free.

I do agree that LOTR has some very complicated rules though.

Edited by Stewart777

4 hours ago, Stewart777 said:

But surely a dedicated group of software developers could achieve this. Magic Duals is fairly complex I would assume and it's free.

I do agree that LOTR has some very complicated rules though.

It's the age old problem. Yes technically almost everything can be done given enough time, manpower and other resources.
Practically there needs to be a large enough market potential for any company to even consider doing it. Magic has a lot more players so you can spend a lot more and still break-even. Free-to-play also has a business model behind it.

On 11/20/2018 at 6:14 AM, Hannibal_pjv said:

Yeah... It is faster to make simplifield version and even in this version there Are bugs... more complex... more bugs.

So no, it will be completely different than the tabletop to the end of the product life span.

Thank you all for your answers. Oh well, it is what it is.