Sign in to follow this  
FractalMind

Question Regarding Fater Mateo with Olive McBride

Suppose you're playing Mateo and you've already used his trigger to convert a Tentacle to an Elder Sign earlier in the scenario. Now consider this situation: you pull an Elder Sign, Elder Thing, and the Tentacle using McBride's trigger? We toss out the Tentacle of course, but what happens if the Elder Thing is also an auto-fail? 

Hey, Mateo has put on a few pounds but there's no need to be hurtful.  =p.

In answer to your question, if you pull 2 tokens that auto-fail off of McBride (because of scenario special tokens or something like that)  then the check automatically fails,  as you will have to resolve one of them.    Even with Mateo's Elder Sign ability, Auto-failure trumps Auto-success I'm afraid.

22 hours ago, awp832 said:

Hey, Mateo has put on a few pounds but there's no need to be hurtful.  =p.

In answer to your question, if you pull 2 tokens that auto-fail off of McBride (because of scenario special tokens or something like that)  then the check automatically fails,  as you will have to resolve one of them.    Even with Mateo's Elder Sign ability, Auto-failure trumps Auto-success I'm afraid.

Where in the RR can I find that auto-fail trumps auto-success?

1 hour ago, FractalMind said:

Where in the RR can I find that auto-fail trumps auto-success?

You won't.  It was clarified by the developer in an email request when Olive McBride.  It may have found its way into the FAQ, but I forget if its there yest or still pending.  Take a look there.

5 hours ago, Jobu said:

It may have found its way into the FAQ, but I forget if its there yest or still pending.  Take a look there.

It is on page 8 of the current FAQ: "If a skill test both automatically succeeds and automatically fails, the automatic failure takes precedence, and the test automatically fails."