Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 11/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, 2P51 said:

I've got a good idea for a Star Wars campaign session 1 kick off, just nothing after that...

This is how I GM nowadays. I come up with a fun intro, have an idea for the final session, let the player actions fill the space between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroggyGolem said:

This is how I GM nowadays. I come up with a fun intro, have an idea for the final session, let the player actions fill the space between.

I take that a step further and have my NPCs have their own agendas, and I craft a few select settings that will hopefully be recurrent.  Otherwise I keep everything else as bullet points and easily-reskinned resources so I can follow where the story leads us.  But I sure don't let sour things like vacuum-resistant space princesses ruin my good time!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I watched HappyDaze go through is not so happy with Star Wars phase.

He did try to just push his way through the pain but it really and adversely affected his gaming so the break is a good idea when the vitriol gets to be that intense.

To be honest, it may not be over yet.  <shrug>

I did pick up the reins and I hope I'm doing well enough.  Time will tell.

I was very happy for the time that HappyDaze spent GM'ing because he knows and understands the FFG rules very well.  He helped me identify some glaring issues and I was able to make needed modifications that helped with the planned longevity of this campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of had the opposite problem earlier this year. I ended up getting a lot of ideas from the Last Jedi and my players were intrigued enough by the themes and concepts in the movie. We ended up starting a second campaign just to explore the concepts in the movie, particularly in regards to the Force and the Jedi Order. 

At the same time I ended up having quite a few people came to me interested in playing a game in the universe, finally getting Star Wars after being put off by the prequels. Foolishly I accepted and started another campaign for them.

Needless to say it was a lot of work and I got a bit burned out GMing. At one point i was GMing 5 nights a week. Luckily some of the players took up the torch which helped me get back to a more manageable level. 

Although the most conceptually muddled of the Disney films there was enough inspiration in seeing Solo's take on the criminal underbelly that an Edge of the Empire game kind if spontaneously put itself together. I've made it once s fortnight to avoid burn out this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LithiumBlossom said:

I kind of had the opposite problem earlier this year. I ended up getting a lot of ideas from the Last Jedi and my players were intrigued enough by the themes and concepts in the movie. We ended up starting a second campaign just to explore the concepts in the movie, particularly in regards to the Force and the Jedi Order. 

At the same time I ended up having quite a few people came to me interested in playing a game in the universe, finally getting Star Wars after being put off by the prequels. Foolishly I accepted and started another campaign for them.

Needless to say it was a lot of work and I got a bit burned out GMing. At one point i was GMing 5 nights a week. Luckily some of the players took up the torch which helped me get back to a more manageable level. 

Although the most conceptually muddled of the Disney films there was enough inspiration in seeing Solo's take on the criminal underbelly that an Edge of the Empire game kind if spontaneously put itself together. I've made it once s fortnight to avoid burn out this time.  

You sir are a champ!

I’ve found it’s hard enough to come up with material for one campaign every couple of weeks, can’t even imagine that work load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 8:23 PM, Desslok said:

Well, that seems a bit drastic. A bit like burning nike shoes in response to POLITICAL TRAUMA X. The company doesn't care, they have your money. The relationship is over, as far as they're concerned.

Also, Disney will be making these movies until the sun grows cold. Some will be good, some will be terrible, some will be awesome, some will be dog poop with nuggets of corn embedded in it. Watch what you like, skip what you don't. Seems simple to me.

Or like that Warhammer Battle/WH40K player who torched his entire army after Games Moneyshop went over to Age of Shytemar... drastic, they have your money.. they don't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know the OP or the GM being discussed, so with that being said from my position waaaay on this side of the internet the GM’s (re)actions come off as behavior that continues to allow constructive and meaningful criticism of “Nu-Star Wars” to be easily dismissed as simple toxic fanbase nonsense.

The proverbially boisterous stomping of feet and “throwing away” of materials under the Star Wars license comes off more as  “look at me, look at why this upsets ME!” than any kind of meaningful method of constructive criticism. The ditching of the RPG, where the GM and players can take any era in Star Wars in any direction they want to, simply  adds double stitching to the temper tantrum shroud cast over this form of protest. 

And I get it, believe me. It took me some time to wrap my head around the idea that the new Star Wars stuff isn’t being made for me. This is also something my friends have had to come to terms with, which has congealed into creative brainstorming as to how the new movies could be better, something that might end up presented on a table with some paper and dice in the near future where we can CONSTRUCTIVELY utilize our thoughts and feelings on the matter instead of just pouting and complaining. As with most things, there’s a good story in the new movies somewhere, good roleplayers can find it.

Edited by Flavorabledeez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

And I get it, believe me. It took me some time to wrap my head around the idea that the new Star Wars stuff isn’t being made for me. This is also something my friends have had to come to terms with, which has congealed into creative brainstorming as to how the new movies could be better, something that might end up presented on a table with some paper and dice in the near future where we can CONSTRUCTIVELY utilize our thoughts and feelings on the matter instead of just pouting and complaining. As with most things, there’s a good story in the new movies somewhere, good roleplayers can find it.

This is it, and it occurred to me when reading your post that it's somewhat how I felt watching Episode 1.  In the original Star Wars movie, George went out of his way to not put any slang or phrases that would date the movie, it was and still is mostly a timeless film that also seemed to draw in people of all ages without focusing on one particular group.  Episode 1 deviated from that and focused on entertaining the younger crowd.   While this may have worked for the prequels in getting a whole new fanbase, I think that fanbase expected the same to be true with the latest trilogy and it's not happening. 

Now, I know this isn't the case for everyone who hates the latest movies but I think it has something to do with it.  There's another factor in that it is impossible to please everyone.  The quote "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time" can easily work replacing "fool" with "please".  Stories change as writers change, there is another discussion that was going on in the forums talking about the Star Wars books and how some people hated them, some loved them.  It' turns out to be the same question of taste but it's made more evident with the movies as they are what started the whole thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, ExpandingUniverse said:

It had to happen to someone I guess... our SW GM has lost all hope and now absolutely HATES SW - this is NOT a comedy/parody post if those that know my usual replies or PMs think, this is SERIOUS.

After ep8 & SOLO our GM gradually got annoyed at what Disleen have done to canon. He's selling (probably sold by the time I post this) all his FFG SW rpg stuff, just keeping the d6 core rules, he gave all his SW comics to a charity shop - people were queuing the next morning after word got around. He gave me the SW Monopoly Collector's Edition, which will be much played and looked after, me and my wife will be dragging that out over Chrimbo :D

He's keeping the board games but really seems depressed about it all... I've just accepted current trends and now realise that I am no longer the target audience, I still enjoy the original trilogy, prequels and R1. The FFG stuff is OCD'ed on my shelf in alphabetical order, Core - Adventures - setting splat - career splat.

Oh well.... maybe he'll come back around one day and regret getting rid of all his stuff... dunno ?

He's an idiot and he's acting like a spoiled little princess.

Why on earth should whatever Disney is doing to Star Wars now have any effect on whether or not he enjoys his old SW comics, monopoly or FFG RPG's?

I vehemently hated (and still pretty much loathe) the Prequels, but it didn't make me burn all my old star wars toys or RPG's, and it certainly didn't stop me from loving Star Wars in general.

I just ignored that setting, pretty much.

If he doesn't like the new stuff, he should just ignore the new stuff. It ain't that hard, really.

I'm honestly sick and tired of all this whiny entitled bull that's going around in the SW fandom right now.
Most of the fans don't mind the new stuff. Many of them love the new stuff, in fact.
But some who don't are throwing hissy-fits and spewing hatred in any place they can find, fully expecting everyone else to agree with them, and those pricks just need to shut the **** up and grow the **** up.


*Sorry for all the swearing, but I'm fed up with this crap*

Edited by OddballE8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is. . . you're allowed to like the new stuff even if everyone else tells you you can't because it sucks.

You're also allowed to not like the new stuff even if everyone else tells you it's all the best thing to happen to Star Wars since before Episode IV was Episode IV.

It's really prevalent in the Star Wars fandom, but there's a real push these days, with internet accessibility and everyone with decent editing software and a YouTube channel able to cram their opinions down everyone else's throats, that there's a "consensus" about what's good and what's not, and if you like what consensus says is bad or hate what consensus says is good then you're stupid.  But there is no consensus.  It's an illusion.  What's masquerading as consensus is what I like to call the "vocal minority" making a big enough noise to drown most everyone else out.  It's the concept of someone being "better off being a big noise in a small room."  Interesting, the internet is such a huge room you'd think they'd have a harder time being heard, but that's not the case.

A great example, for me, is the DCEU.  I liked Man of Steel more than I was "allowed" to by "consensus", and while it's still not my favorite take on Superman, I get what they were trying to do.  I actually avoided Batman V Superman because by then "consensus" had poisoned me against it.  And to be fair, I did not enjoy it all that much, though I may give it a second go.  Then "consensus" told me Wonder Woman was the most amazing movie to ever movie, and I finally watched and. . . well, it was better than BVS, but I still have no desire to own it and watch it over and over again like my Marvel movies (and on that point, I hate Thor:  Ragnarok with a fiery vengeance, yet apparently "consensus" is that it's the best movie to ever movie since Wonder Woman, go figure).  I mean, just based on the feeling of enjoyment I had watching them, I'm more likely to watch Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern again than I am to rewatch DCEU films at this point.  So many other people are out there giving you their opinions it's getting really, really difficult to form your own anymore.  It seeps in and alters your thinking, subtly, insidiously, so that you aren't even really aware your opinion has been corrupted.

What you really need to do is sit back, think about why you feel about a film the way you do, pick it apart and analyze it, and see if everything holds up.  I had a great time watching Thor:  Ragnarok in theaters (though even on first viewing, some things bothered me intensely, like the casual dispatching of the Warriors Three to absolutely zero fanfare).  By the time I got home from the theater, having thought about and picked apart the film, I hated it.  Subsequent viewings have only reinforced that hatred.  While I can appreciate the things that work about the film more on their own as well, overall my complaints have become serious enough that I may not watch it again (certainly not as I often as I do other Marvel films).  Star Wars is much the same way.  A lot of the knee-jerk complaints that get bandied about by the haters are actually established elements of the franchise, just presented in new ways.

And when I say "pick it apart," I don't mean spot all the plot holes. . . or rather, I don't mean just that.  I mean, if you notice a plot hole, ask if it's really a plot hole, or does it actually make sense A) given what we already know about this universe, B) explained by a smaller note earlier that wasn't immediately obvious as a Chekhov's Gun, or C) explicable with some basic logic and a few minutes' thought (what TvTropes calls "FridgeBrilliance.")  Above all, think about how you felt watching the movie.  Were you entertained?  If so, movie did its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the OP's GM is feeling like that, then that it his problem to deal with and it's not my place to tell him how he should feel.

In my opinion, I'm in agreement with @OddballE8, I don't understand how 2 films can undermine his enjoyment of 4 to 7 other films and countless Star Wars media to the point he almost literally starts throwing his toys out of the pram. That being said I am truly in the minority of people who are not difficult to please when it comes to Star Wars, I loved the OT, somewhat like the prequels, and I like the sequels (but believed that Ep 7 was a very 'safe' movie while Ep 8 was a breath of something new to the saga) and I like the standalone films.

Is Solo a pointless movie we don't need? Sure...but it was great fun. Should we limit ourselves to only films we need. I don't think we should, the point of a movie is to entertain and it entertained me.

I too am pretty sick with the attitude of "I don't like this, therefore it is bad, therefore Disney and Kennedy must BURN rabble rabble rabble..." As @ErikModi said, it's okay not to like something and if you don't like something acknowledge it, and either move on or deal with it. Don't try to make Star Wars what you want it to be because frankly it's bigger than one person and there are people who enjoy the films as they are.

This is getting greatly off topic though...

It sounds like the guy might be burned out in general, which can happen, it's hardly a unique phenomenon, but selling stuff to the extent he has does border on extreme. For me, I selectively ignore or adapt canon or legends material as I please. As someone who was brought up on the Legends material (or EU) there's a lot of stuff I like to include alongside canon material. There's also a lot of stuff that I think to be complete trash that's come from both Legends and canon (but mostly legends) that I pretty much just straight up ignore because guess what, that's my prerogative as the GM.

Edited by Ebak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OddballE8 said:


I'm honestly sick and tired of all this whiny entitled bull that's going around in the SW fandom right now.
Most of the fans don't mind the new stuff. Many of them love the new stuff, in fact.
But some who don't are throwing hissy-fits and spewing hatred in any place they can find, fully expecting everyone else to agree with them, and those pricks just need to shut the **** up and grow the **** up.


*Sorry for all the swearing, but I'm fed up with this crap*

So you having a hissy-fit over the hissy-fits others are having is somehow better? The next step is someone being fed up with you being fed up and the cycle continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what I did to rehab Star Wars for myself was to just sit and watch Star Wars and Empire.  Them and some of my favorite TCW episodes and I had washed 8 out of my brain.  Maybe the OP should suggest something like that for his GM.  

I still do need  some new content I enjoy to inspire me GMing the setting again though.  Really hoping for the new shows.  I liked Solo but it struck me as the campaign/session every GM has already run.

Edited by 2P51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

I know what I did to rehab Star Wars for myself was to just sit and watch Star Wars and Empire.  Them and some of my favorite TCW episodes and I had washed 8 out of my brain.  Maybe the OP should suggest something like that for his GM.  

I still do need to some new content to inspire me GMing the setting again though.  Really hoping for the new shows.  I liked Solo but it struck me as the campaign/session every GM has already run.

 

I'm so very glad I never bothered with 7 or 8. 

 

I'm working on setting up a situation for my players. I provide the situation, what they do with it is up to them. I've been trying to watch some old movies like "A Fistful of Dollars", "For A Few Dollars More", "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly", as well as series' like Cowboy Bebop or Rebels, to give me some ideas about possible events that they can react to or set in motion themselves, NPC's, that kind of thing.

 

But I keep getting distracted by War Thunder. I finally got a destroyer that's worth something for the US. The German and Soviet boats are so bad that I barely ever bother to play them. 

 

And when I'm not distracted by War Thunder, I get distracted reading Star Wars stuff online for ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should ignore the garbage Disney is making like I do; Yes

But that most of the fans don't mind the new stuff (I interpret this as liking the movies or in answer to the other people saying there's great stuff about these movies)? no ******* way

If I would truly speak my mind about this...the movies and the people loving that, I would be ban forever from this website.

From my experience, I've spoken to a lot of people, everyone playing computer games from work, from multiple group of friends, from contacts, old school reunion, sub contractors from work, sport teammates and the general consensus is that they profoundly hated "The Last Jedi".  The Force Awaken was at best "ok" giving some hope for better movies to come, Rogue One was the closest to the old star wars and Solo was "ok" as long as you didn't care much about Star Wars...  Were talking over 50 people from different places, different background and no one loved the new trilogy... not one person

These people have a busy life, we're no longer in high school with spare time....so they are not the kind of people that are going to tell the tale about it on forums or giving bad reviews... so if I need to be the voice for all of them, then I'll be that...… but what's going to happen is that they will no longer rush to the theater to see Star Wars...because it no longer is...

So if they would have called this StarBulshit instead of Star Wars, then you would be able to enjoy this movie like the Skyscraper movie....that have no significance at all, that you don't expect anything and that you know it's going to be totally unrealistic and you're just there for some action entertaining stuff.  But when you dare call this Star Wars, you expect something realistic within the boundaries that was defined by M. Lucas in the first place... meaning yes they are some unrealistic stuff but they are contained within rules that allows these stories to be...

So yeah, I'm tired of people without any conviction defending these movies... Star Wars movies should be able to compete with other great movies such Lord of the Rings, Harry Potters, Indiana Jones (and I would even add National Treasure from Disney to the list) and other awesome action/adventure movies.... not trying to compete with Skyscraper...

 

So you know what Disney should do, they should do like Mike Hannigan and rename their franchise to Crap Bag

 

Edited by Mefyrx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaannd that's exactly what I'm talking about.

You're allowed to like the new films no matter what anyone else says.  You're allowed to dislike the new films no matter what anyone else says.

But you don't need to tell anyone else that they're stupid, or flat-out wrong, or deserve to be banned because their opinion differs from yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ErikModi said:

Aaaannd that's exactly what I'm talking about.

You're allowed to like the new films no matter what anyone else says.  You're allowed to dislike the new films no matter what anyone else says.

But you don't need to tell anyone else that they're stupid, or flat-out wrong, or deserve to be banned because their opinion differs from yours.

True and that is why I've written my previous post in a manner where I'm not attacking anyone but I'm leaving my though about it....., anyway, it feels like a minority of people are trying to defend Disney's movies and that Disney is living in their own bubble thinking they are doing great stuff... but truly in a hurry to grab their 4 billion back from fans regardless of the content provided...

It's by expressing your discontent about these movies, that sometime other people who weren't going to say anything about it are seeing that they aren't alone thinking these were crap...

I mean, people had to gang up on The Last Jedi's rating to lowered it because Disney had clearly bought up 10 ratings by the crates on these review websites to lure people into the theater....whether they paid the site directly or paid you know these people with thousands of fake account ready to leave a feedback for the right price....you've seen movies about that already...those aren't far fetch

When you listen to these people in charge at Disney stating that the Last Jedi was the best movie since Empire Strike Back (most likely to be consider the best movie that M. Lucas did) ….they clearly have their head up their own asses...

I've never saw the movie and never will.... I've informed myself (after hating profoundly the force awaken....just thinking about the fact that the Millennium Falcon was standing there ready to take off by a character that ends up piloting it better than Han Solo after few seconds still makes me want to vomit) reading all the spoilers and I know all about the story... I know all about the flaws...and my friends whos the most forgiven person about movies hated it....he said and I quote "there are a few great scene, but the many  scenes that are bad are soo bad that they spoil the entire movie.  It was soo bad, that the room was without any sound leaving people mouth opened in aberration (about the creature that would be a thousand time worse than Jar Jar Bing)".   Just the fact that they made Luke throw his lightsaber away like a used pen... more than likely Disney's way of saying that the old Star Wars are the garbage of another generation..... is an abomination in itself...its taking a big dump on the franchise

And you know what, I loved the first two trilogy, even though many people had said that they didn't like the prequel...those same people that didn't like the Hobbits...that didn't like the first chapter of the Lord of the Ring where nothing would happen.... I loved those because they define the background of those universe...and in the prequel, you had all these great actors shaping the world.....  Of course it wasn't perfect, you have a minus 1 from jumping off the airspeeder 1 mile down....-10 for Jar Jar bing, but overall, they are just a few things like this

Loved Rogue One (even though it took me 6 months to agree to see it and that was because u know those approx. 50 people...the general consensus is that it fitted with the other Star Wars....and they were right)

The problem with movies today is that some people think, the better the special effects, the better the movie....and they couldn't be more wrong.  Special effect are suppose to enhanced great stories and used wisely just like the movie Sicario.

I understand that everyone has an opinion, I was talking with one of those sub contractor the other day, and he hated Rogue One as well … while I liked it.... and in some ways there was tension just talking about like walking on the edge of the line....he was talking about forcing people from different culture into the movie.... while I didn't feel like it was pushed in there..... overall, I understand that everyone cannot be happy about it...but when the general consensus is that everybody hated it from a wide pool of people around you....then you're not the outsider anymore...

Edited by Mefyrx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ebak said:

If the OP's GM is feeling like that, then that it his problem to deal with and it's not my place to tell him how he should feel.

In my opinion, I'm in agreement with @OddballE8, I don't understand how 2 films can undermine his enjoyment of 4 to 7 other films and countless Star Wars media to the point he almost literally starts throwing his toys out of the pram. That being said I am truly in the minority of people who are not difficult to please when it comes to Star Wars, I loved the OT, somewhat like the prequels, and I like the sequels (but believed that Ep 7 was a very 'safe' movie while Ep 8 was a breath of something new to the saga) and I like the standalone films.

Is Solo a pointless movie we don't need? Sure...but it was great fun. Should we limit ourselves to only films we need. I don't think we should, the point of a movie is to entertain and it entertained me.

I too am pretty sick with the attitude of "I don't like this, therefore it is bad, therefore Disney and Kennedy must BURN rabble rabble rabble..." As @ErikModi said, it's okay not to like something and if you don't like something acknowledge it, and either move on or deal with it. Don't try to make Star Wars what you want it to be because frankly it's bigger than one person and there are people who enjoy the films as they are.

This is getting greatly off topic though...

It sounds like the guy might be burned out in general, which can happen, it's hardly a unique phenomenon, but selling stuff to the extent he has does border on extreme. For me, I selectively ignore or adapt canon or legends material as I please. As someone who was brought up on the Legends material (or EU) there's a lot of stuff I like to include alongside canon material. There's also a lot of stuff that I think to be complete trash that's come from both Legends and canon (but mostly legends) that I pretty much just straight up ignore because guess what, that's my prerogative as the GM.

TBH I liked parts of Solo.... not all of it, the train heist being the main bit for me off the top of my head. I agree with the other posts here.. why let 2 or 3 new films ruin the previous canon set by Lucas? I'll still watch R1 & 1-6 till the day I die... I may even insist on ep4 opening music to play as they lower my body to get it burned to ash. At least once a week a pull out one of the splats to re-read or the Atlas/book of Sith/locations/vehicles and nerd out in the spare room (which will soon have a banner attached on the door - 'Star Wars Room')

Stuff the new canon anyway.. we have enough d6/d20 and legends novels to nick stuff from anyway..

It will be interesting to see the box office takings for ep 9.1 and what the plot will be. I've avoided any plot leaks, or those 'This is what I think will be in the next movie' Youtube vids. TBH I was p***** with ep7, went to see 8 after the snazzy trailers - AGAIN - and recommendation from a work colleague... oh well. Lesson learned/learnt 🤺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will always go see something with Star Wars on the title. I've even endured the Holiday special. I think people who boycotted Solo, and presumably those that Boycott Episode 9 will do themselves a disservice, at least see if you like the movie or not before you criticise it.

If you don't actually experience it for yourself, then you basically tell me that your opinion isn't worth anything. However, this is starting to veer into discussion about the films themselves and not the topic of the thread.

Edited by Ebak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in such a polarized time. It sometimes feels like tribalism has infected every part of our culture. When it comes to art, storytelling, and entertainment in general, enjoyment will always be subjective. As one example, watching 'The Big Bang Theory' (undeniably one of the most successful sitcoms in TV history) makes me want to tear the flesh from my body.

@ExpandingUniverse, bummer about your GM. Hope he found some catharsis in giving away/selling his collection. There is definitely emotional value in cleansing what one can physically control.

Do him a favor and run something totally different. '10 Candles' or the 'Tearable RPG' might be a good palette cleanser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 3:18 AM, Mefyrx said:

If I would truly speak my mind about this...the movies and the people loving that, I would be ban forever from this website.

You know, telling someone "I'm not going to call you an a-hole, because I wouldn't get away with it" isn't really different from calling someone an a-hole. But, hey at least you're accidentally honest about it.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:18 AM, Mefyrx said:

From my experience, I've spoken to a lot of people, everyone playing computer games from work, from multiple group of friends, from contacts, old school reunion, sub contractors from work, sport teammates and the general consensus is that they profoundly hated "The Last Jedi".  The Force Awaken was at best "ok" giving some hope for better movies to come, Rogue One was the closest to the old star wars and Solo was "ok" as long as you didn't care much about Star Wars...  Were talking over 50 people from different places, different background and no one loved the new trilogy... not one person

These people have a busy life, we're no longer in high school with spare time....so they are not the kind of people that are going to tell the tale about it on forums or giving bad reviews... so if I need to be the voice for all of them, then I'll be that...… but what's going to happen is that they will no longer rush to the theater to see Star Wars...because it no longer is...

I find it hilarious that you think this is a balanced sample size. It also seems to mean that you to haven't talked to a single person that liked it and considered things from their perspective.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:35 AM, Mefyrx said:

True and that is why I've written my previous post in a manner where I'm not attacking anyone but I'm leaving my though about it....

Again, that's not really better.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:35 AM, Mefyrx said:

I mean, people had to gang up on The Last Jedi's rating to lowered it because Disney had clearly bought up 10 ratings by the crates on these review websites to lure people into the theater....whether they paid the site directly or paid you know these people with thousands of fake account ready to leave a feedback for the right price....you've seen movies about that already...those aren't far fetch

Have you ever considered even the remote possibility that it could be the other way around? You're perfectly willing to accept that a lot of people who hated the movie aren't going to bother going online and spew hate about it, but have you considered that the same could be true for a lot of the people that loved it? I mean, I haven't really crunched the numbers but if you look at the parts of internet where people opine about culture, I think it's fairly safe to say that it's more popular to rage about stuff than gushing about it. And if we're going to go down the rabbit hole of fake accounts, there has at least been some evidence to it going the other way, but I haven't really seen anything apart from pure speculation supporting your preferred version of it.

So, yeah. In this case, it is a little far fetched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@penpenpen hit the nail right on the head. There are several confirmed articles about fake "troll" accounts and spam bots that were used to artificially lower TLJ's Rotten Tomatoes score, and on Twitter. By contrast it's score on CinemaScore was an "A", just as TFA did. This is because CinemaScore polls viewers directly at the theater immediately after they leave the movie. As a result, it can't be artificially inflated or lowered. This shows that the movie wasn't nearly as "universally hated" as some people claim. I have not seen a single report or article about Disney "artificially raising" TLJ's scores anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...