Sign in to follow this  
WonderWAAAGH

Rulebook Updated 11/16

I have a creature that has the card Biomatrix Backup (CoTA 208) attached. Its my opponent’s turn and they use one of their creatures to attack and destroy my creature. What happens?

Since it is your opponent’s turn and they are the active player, they will get to make all decisions for all cards. In this case Biomatx Backup has the word “may”, meaning that the effect is optional. Thus if your creature is destroyed with the upgrade on it during your opponent’s turn, your opponent will decide whether the card is put into your archives or not.

I don't know how much that will affect things but Yikes, I have been doing it wrong....

Biomatrix Backup, according to Richard Garfeild, had a typo, but rather than trying to correct the card they simply interpreted the typo with the current rules.  Makes Biomatrix Backup way, way less powerful and very situational. 

11 minutes ago, dperello said:

Biomatrix Backup, according to Richard Garfeild, had a typo, but rather than trying to correct the card they simply interpreted the typo with the current rules.  Makes Biomatrix Backup way, way less powerful and very situational. 

Fighting with it on your turn is 'very' situational?

5 minutes ago, dperello said:

I'll keep that info in my back pocket for big events, but there's no way I'm holding my opponents to that ruling at store-level.

I have to say, this ruling seems really bad to me. This goes entirely against how the card reads - the card lets "you" make the choice, i.e. the owner of the card (exactly how every other instance of "you" is used in the game). It makes no sense at all for the opponent to make that choice instead of "you". It's completely counter-intuitive - I guarantee that nobody has played that card that way before this very moment, and nobody who doesn't read that clarification at the end of the document will EVER play the card that way on their own.

In every single card game, "you" refers to the controller of the card. Making a blanket rule that "all optional effects are chosen by the active player despite what the text on the card actually says" is a really hamfisted way of fixing the card if they printed it wrong. Just let people resolve the card the way it's printed, or errata it to not be optional, at least, so that people will USUALLY play it correctly even if they miss the FAQ.

Edited by Dgreen
Better wording!

18 minutes ago, JorduSpeaks said:

I'll keep that info in my back pocket for big events, but there's no way I'm holding my opponents to that ruling at store-level.

To be honest it clarifies the whole rule on Active Player, so cards like special delivery and bad penny will now be up to the active player to sort out. I missed this rule but when you look it is there, p9 for active player and even turn sequence on p4.

Just now, Amanal said:

To be honest it clarifies the whole rule on Active Player, so cards like special delivery and bad penny will now be up to the active player to sort out. I missed this rule but when you look it is there, p9 for active player and even turn sequence on p4.

The ruling specifically says "Unless otherwise specified by the ability". Biomatrix Backup "specifies" that "You" you make the choice, referring to the controller of the creature, so I would think it would fall under being "otherwise specified", or, in other words, still be up to the decision of the controller of the creature. To me, this FAQ clarification is actually incorrectly clarifying what should happen.

6 minutes ago, Amanal said:

To clarify, Bad Penny's ability is not optional, so in your example the only decision made by the active player is resolving the timing conflict.

2 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Fighting with it on your turn is 'very' situational?

I actually think it is, but mainly because it is Mars. Almost all of Mars's creatures that are good at fighting either enter play stunned or are good due to a fight ability. You don't get to use fight abilities if you are destroyed, and if a card that enters play stunned goes to your archive, then you still need to call Mars 2 more times in addition to the Mars call you made this turn before you can use it. 

If you play it not on a Mars creature, then you either used a card that let you play outside the active house, or you are super telegraphing your next move, and you are giving your opponent the opportunity to counter it. 

This card was already questionably good to me due to the Mars theme of adding opposing creatures to your archives. Now decks with that theme and biomatrix are basically giving the opponent a free opportunity to purge.

Edited by Revert

41 minutes ago, RedMageStatscowski said:

That feels so weird that the opponent makes decisions for your card.

It does, but to be fair, most abilities that can be triggered on your opponent's turn ate not optional.

While I'm happy that they've updated the rules somewhat, there are still numerous open questions that I had hoped would be covered.

As for rules changes, I hope they consider a way to avoid total lockout (even just Restringus combined with a hand of all the same house could cause this on turn 1). Maybe allowing players to discard their entire hand if they skip their entire turn (including key forging).

I really hope they errata “Biomatrix Backup” and remove the “may” on that card,  as it definitely isn’t how the card was intended to work.

Also, it’s creating unnessasary confusion about “you”, with quite a few players now thinking that “you” refers to the active player during “destroyed” effects. (not the case). 

The biomatrix backup example is probably the first time in a card driven game where your opponent get to choose for abilities on cards controlled by you. I don't like it.

Also about Pitlord + Restringuntus: declare "no house" means to just skip all your turns without even draw. It's just sitting there and watching you opponent win. I found it a very poor rulings case as in any game it shouldn't be allowed to create a situation where a player simply plays alone. It's not fun, for anyone.

Hope they'll rethink and fix it.

10 hours ago, Amanal said:

Such as?

Mostly contradictory destroyed type issues (card goes to hand when destroyed vs. is purged when destroyed). It's not clear if you resolve both with active player choosing the order (meaning which effect will ultimately occur), or if one takes precedence, or if one effect occuring may prevent the second effect as it wouldn't be in play even though destroyed effects should still occur. There are several threads on this and as far as I can tell there's no obvious answer as yet.

9 hours ago, Amanal said:

Such as?

Overlord Greking vs any card that goes somewhere specific after being destroyed. (As mentioned above.)

Do all cards stack or only cards with a "+" symbol.  Grey Monk compared to Witch of the Wilds or Phase Shift.

Master plan and effects that let you use your opponent's Artifacts.

Several Mars cards that let you use, "Other Mars creatures," and the effects of doing so.

Does a Play effect trigger if a card is destroyed as it enters play.  Autocannon and Neutron Shark for example.

Exactly when Neutron Shark's effect stops working when it is destoyed.  Does the whole effect fire or is it cut off the instant it leaves play?

There's more, but you get the idea. :)