Sign in to follow this  
MWhelehan

Best Combinations?

One of the things I love about this game (especially during this new phase) is the unexpected combinations that can happen. But sometimes I look at a new deck and I ask, "which of these combinations can CONSISTENTLY work well?" I know that the Four Horsemen is a pretty amazing combination of cards, but what are some other consistent combos in your decks?

Right now I'm liking this one:

Hunting Witch on the board, House Shadow: Bad Penny, Seeking Needle (sacrifice Bad Penny), play Bad Penny again.

Just going to use an actual combo one of my decks has that I love.
House Bronbar, play 2 headhunters, play two ganger chieftan and ready headhunters, attack +2 amber, play wardrummer to return them to hand, repeat +2 amber. Even better if you just start with the headhunters and play double blood money in the deck then it's a total gain of 6 amber with 20 damage flying at your opponents board.

When you in a situation where opponent plays a big round of creatures and has a large board presence (and especially where you have some damaged creatures)

House Brobnar - Loot the Bodies followed up by Coward's End.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:34 PM, TwitchyBait said:

Just going to use an actual combo one of my decks has that I love.
House Bronbar, play 2 headhunters, play two ganger chieftan and ready headhunters, attack +2 amber, play wardrummer to return them to hand, repeat +2 amber. Even better if you just start with the headhunters and play double blood money in the deck then it's a total gain of 6 amber with 20 damage flying at your opponents board.

You know that’s an illegal play, right? Breaking the rule of 6 on your headhunters.

I have a deck with John Smith and a mavrick Mimic + I got the one Shadows artifact that lets you put your first creature out ready. Put out John ready then out the mimic. reap with john ready mimic, reap with mimic and use john's reap, repeat four more times. Then I watch them get distroyed the next turn.

I have a deck with Annihilation Ritual, 2x Arise! and 2x Champion's Challenge.  That one is great fun.

Early Game:

• Play Annihilation Ritual.
  • Discard creatures from hand to discard pile (they do not get purged).
  • Gain aember from action and artifact cards.

Late Game

• Play Champion's Challenge once my opponent has a solid creature board state, purging all but one.
  • Play Arise! and lay down a solid board state of my own.
  • Reap, Reap, Reap my way to victory while my opponent's deck is creature starved.

Works pretty consistently, although you REALLY have to prepare by discarding creatures and not playing them.  Early game can be a little dicey, but if you make it to the Champion's Challenge, it's probably a win.

Library Access, a typical amount of Logos creatures (ideally also an established board with other faction creatures), Phase Shift, and Total Recall. I used it once and it was one if those great 'huh, that is actually a nice option' moments KeyForge tends to have. No reliable killer combo, but one of the more creative ways to extend your LA.

51 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

I have a deck with Annihilation Ritual, 2x Arise! and 2x Champion's Challenge.  That one is great fun.

Early Game:

• Play Annihilation Ritual.
  • Discard creatures from hand to discard pile (they do not get purged).
  • Gain aember from action and artifact cards.

Late Game

• Play Champion's Challenge once my opponent has a solid creature board state, purging all but one.
  • Play Arise! and lay down a solid board state of my own.
  • Reap, Reap, Reap my way to victory while my opponent's deck is creature starved.

Works pretty consistently, although you REALLY have to prepare by discarding creatures and not playing them.  Early game can be a little dicey, but if you make it to the Champion's Challenge, it's probably a win.

I have a deck with Annihilation Ritual, Gateway to Dis, Coward's End, and not quite as useful here but still something depending on opponent, Hebe the Huge. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work and I might have to borrow this strategy. The downside is, I only have 13 creatures in the deck. One of them is Tolas, so I can also hopefully set up a big clear turn.

That said, how often do your opponent's keep dropping creatures when you drop none? Seems like the obvious answer to seeing an opponent not willing to play creatures is to keep your board small in case of a clear.

Just now, CaptainIxidor said:

I have a deck with Annihilation Ritual, Gateway to Dis, Coward's End, and not quite as useful here but still something depending on opponent, Hebe the Huge. I've been trying to figure out how to make it work and I might have to borrow this strategy. The downside is, I only have 13 creatures in the deck. One of them is Tolas, so I can also hopefully set up a big clear turn.

That said, how often do your opponent's keep dropping creatures when you drop none? Seems like the obvious answer to seeing an opponent not willing to play creatures is to keep your board small in case of a clear.

I have yet to see an opponent play conservatively when I'm discarding creatures.  For me, that would be a huge red flag.  There is clearly a combo coming if a player is discarding creatures instead of playing them.  Then again, Annihilation Ritual is a card that fundamentally changes the game's dynamic.  Discarding a creature instead of playing it to see it purged isn't necessarily that odd.

I will say that I played AGAINST an Annihilation Ritual deck once and took the same tactic.  I discarded creatures from my hand and tried to kill his through other means.  Halfway through the game, I was able to start playing creatures without being too worried about having them purged from combat.  I think the key is to realize that Annihilation Ritual games can be slow and grindy.  It doesn't matter if your opponent gets an early lead if you shut him down and then slowly gain aember and forge keys.