Taiowaa

jyn and new troops

25 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

I really hope not. The big selling point of Pathfinders isn't Hoth hats, it's the newer Czerka combat helmets. A 4/2 split helmets to hats, or 3 helmets, 2 hats, and a bare head would be my hope. Or failing that, all Czerka. If they want to do Echo Base troopers better they do them as their own box.

Very easily could be! In which case I'll buy zero sets of them, so for me it's a win no matter what. Either I get my Hoth guys or I don't spend money.  At this point I have all the Legion I want until the assorted Hoth-compatible sets roll out (wookies/operatives) and/or Ewoks/new Hoth stuff get released.

All-helmets is highly unlikely given the box art.

6 hours ago, Thevshi said:

Someone quoted the more detailed write ups back on the first page (another person provided a link to a European site that posted about the two and has a more detailed write up if you click for each of the two expansions).

Well, if they are special forces and in all-Hoth gear, you could still get one set to give you a special forces option in Hoth gear?

That's an excellent point! I could use 3 in that case!

2 hours ago, Tubb said:

I really hope that when they develop the looks for their clone wars era armies they inspire in episodes from the prequels and not clone wars animated toons. Just because the final result would be cartoony, similar to what has happened with Imperial Assault minis inspired in rebels series... ezra, sabine, kanan... they all look way too cartoony compared to other IA minis.

I agree, I think a consistent aesthetic would look better. I think they did a decent job of it in the art for the Star Wars RPG, so hopefully they use that art for inspiration of any characters from animated series. 

14 hours ago, player2801864 said:

Neat. If you put in https://fantastyflightgames/en/product/  and then the SWL33 after the slash the link redirects to image.png.38c15a72f8d27a5b0eb896b2e92be908.png

Link pls. This isnt working for me

16 hours ago, aniron said:

Dooku and Maul aren't that bad though, are they? And Jango? 

Jango and Maul are pretty much only ok things around the whole era. Dunno where they came up with count Doo(c)ku(la) and Giervous too, never digged them though hehe.

19 hours ago, TerranCmdr said:

Nice! Krennic and Death troopers are definitely a must for me. (SWL34 spits out Death Troopers)

Not quite working for me. Do you have direct links?

I just hope that the factions maintain their identities and they do not go down the path where all the factions have the same stuff like in X-Wing near the end of 1.0.  Each faction should be unique and have certain strengths.  I think the clone wars will add a horde style army and an army that has a lot of powerful people and smaller numbers, which will bring even more diversity to the game, and make it more entertaining and fun.

3 hours ago, Jabby said:

Not quite working for me. Do you have direct links?

I couldn't get it to work at first, but later it did. A direct link would be kinda pointless since it is a 404, the thing is that if you type that in and press enter the website will change the URL for you as specified above.

7 hours ago, poke450 said:

I just hope that the factions maintain their identities and they do not go down the path where all the factions have the same stuff like in X-Wing near the end of 1.0.  Each faction should be unique and have certain strengths.  I think the clone wars will add a horde style army and an army that has a lot of powerful people and smaller numbers, which will bring even more diversity to the game, and make it more entertaining and fun.

I don't like how it's shaping up, they are sorta similar and their differences feel "wrong". What with the superior numbers the rebels frequently field.

7 hours ago, poke450 said:

Excellent post.  They are feeling a bit similar at this point?

2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I don't like how it's shaping up, they are sorta similar and their differences feel "wrong". What with the superior numbers the rebels frequently field.

I am sorry I have not understood you. You mean IN game rebels are superior numbers? Because in the whole star wars story the idea is that a SMALL group of freedom fighters fight against the ENDLESS legions of imperial might. This is true always...

- Some x-wing fighters against a formidable space station.

- Lots of TIE fighters against few rebel starfighters

- Some commandos against "a legion of finest soldiers" in Endor

- Rebel base being evacuated in Hoth because of overwhelming imperial superiority...

So if I have understood, you mean that imperials are still too expensive, they should be clearly more numbers than rebels.

Edited by Tubb

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I didnt really think about that until now, I wonder what the reasoning is behind having the rebels be so much cheaper that they can usually field more units than the Imps... At least the Royal Guards and Wookies cost the same.

58 minutes ago, Jman444 said:

I didnt really think about that until now, I wonder what the reasoning is behind having the rebels be so much cheaper that they can usually field more units than the Imps... At least the Royal Guards and Wookies cost the same.

Game balance. The Empire is better equipped (red defence) and therefore harder to kill. Defences, abilities, and shooting all factor in to pricing each individual model. So red defence dice, white shooting to range 3, move 2, and precise work out to 11 points per model instead of the rebel's 10. A one to comparison of the Empire's units typically shows them as harder to kill, which makes it harder to remove them from objectives.

If you combined hard to kill with large numbers of troops vs easy to kill smaller numbers, the Rebels would likely loose "balanced" missions the majority of the time. The only times I've seen the smaller, easier to kill force win games consistently is in unbalanced objectives, like hold a single objective for 6 turns in entrenched positions.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:34 PM, Yodhrin said:

I really hope not. The big selling point of Pathfinders isn't Hoth hats, it's the newer Czerka combat helmets.

"Wait, don't be fooled!  She's still the same, just with a stupid new hat!" - Lisa Simpson

"Yea... but she's got a NEW HAT!" -  Mr Smithers
"I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!" - crazed mob of girls

Funny. I recall a time when you were lucky to have 2 or 3 types of models for a troop type, and that was because you could repose an arm or head. If these are standard foot troops or special ops bring 'em on! I really like Rogue One and the grunt-like troops and their rag=tag look. I hope the little reptilian trooper is in the unit! 

I mean we finally got out Star Wars miniatures troop er based game.  Good

Awesome Models   Good

Variety in Troops.  Good

Complaining about what we have and whats  coming  Bad 

FFG is doing a wizard job of getting quality materials out to us.

15 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Game balance.

Yes we know but, it goes against the story background that's been around for 30 years. The gaming trope of swarms vs fewer better troops is usually not how real life, nor the Star Wars movies, plays out. Usually if you can afford more guys you can afford better and more of everything. This doesn't always mean you'll win though, and didn't mean victory for the galactic empire.

I would have vastly preferred under-equipped, outnumbered rebels who were compensated with various turn-zero advantages, or stat line increases other than guns and numbers. Rebels could have been given better morale for example.

Instead of what amounts to more of the same approach to game balance that's been going on for decades now.

18 hours ago, Tubb said:

I am sorry I have not understood you. You mean IN game rebels are superior numbers?

Yes.  I wish in Legion the rebels were outnumbered, and had more limited access to heavy weapons and other special items than imperials, just like in the background/movies. I like my rebels to be outnumbered and outgunned. But in the game they didn't write the armies that way at all. It can be done. They just didn't.

Edited by TauntaunScout

49 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

"Wait, don't be fooled!  She's still the same, just with a stupid new hat!" - Lisa Simpson

The toys are the whole point. If I didn't get motivated by the details of/on the toys I'd be playing Heroscape or Forbidden Island. Not having a squad of corps rebels available in uniforms like on ESB is weird, considering all things. I said I hoped the "pathfinders" would have been pumped up corps troops with all their gear being stuff seen on both Hoth and Scariff so as to kill two birds but... FFG doesn't seem to care about economy of releases in that way. Or we wouldn't have had Endor style rebels be released twice over.

32 minutes ago, Dark Don said:

Funny. I recall a time when you were lucky to have 2 or 3 types of models for a troop type, and that was because you could repose an arm or head.

Yes. People have far more choices overall nowadays and I'm not convinced it makes them any happier. Paint used to be the only way to differentiate some things.

I mean we finally got out Star Wars miniatures troop er based game.  Good

There's been one since 1990. Defunct since 1998 but easily playable by any motivated pair of Star Wars fans. A big part of what sucked me into Legion was that I happened to be revisiting a lot of old projects for it when Legion came out.

Complaining about what we have and whats  coming  Bad 

I'm not complaining I'm just not buying them.

FFG is doing a wizard job of getting quality materials out to us.

Pretty much. People act like this game 1) is all FFG has to do and 2) has been around a lot longer than it has.

25 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

The toys are the whole point. If I didn't get motivated by the details of/on the toys I'd be playing Heroscape or Forbidden Island. Not having a squad of corps rebels available in uniforms like on ESB is weird, considering all things. I said I hoped the "pathfinders" would have been pumped up corps troops with all their gear being stuff seen on both Hoth and Scariff so as to kill two birds but... FFG doesn't seem to care about economy of releases in that way. Or we wouldn't have had Endor style rebels be released twice over.

Yes. People have far more choices overall nowadays and I'm not convinced it makes them any happier. Paint used to be the only way to differentiate some things.

There's been one since 1990. Defunct since 1998 but easily playable by any motivated pair of Star Wars fans. A big part of what sucked me into Legion was that I happened to be revisiting a lot of old projects for it when Legion came out.

I'm not complaining I'm just not buying them.

Pretty much. People act like this game 1) is all FFG has to do and 2) has been around a lot longer than it has.

Yeah I recall the the old miniature game from (West End was it?) and the others that came with the cards, the kids and I had a great time with those. Couple guys even took 40K rules and made a Star Wars game. 

However, this set is an honestly good game thats loyal to the setting with some quality models.

And your right people wont be happy, they never are but that was my point. Its just like the fans of the whole franchise...ugh, wont even get into that mess. 

Im hoping for generic upgrade cards to make normal units "unique", maybe that will help the insatiable. 

20 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

This is definitely something I agree seems to currently be an issue. I felt the same way with Armada also, which had battles which did not seem to be reflected in the films. In my mind, the rebels should be more often outnumbered than not. This could have been done by giving rebels substantial leadership and command buffs, greater morale, and more tricks up their sleeve. I think it is possible that we could part way there in this game, as the Pathfinder description at least suggests that some rebel units might be able to deploy (or reinforce in a later turn) in or from the enemy deployment zone. Hopefully, they do not give the Empire such tricks.

That said, I very much enjoy the game when I get the chance to play it, and like the direction the releases are going in.