DirewolfSiren

Rules Question: Skirmish

Just want to make sure I understand this ability.

Skirmish: When a creature with the skirmish keyword is used to fight, it take no damage from the opposing creature when the damage from the fight is dealt.  This applies only to damage that would be dealt by the opposing creature's power, not by damage that is dealt by keywords or other card abilities.

Does skirmish apply when a creature is attacked, ie. defending?  Which would mean there's never any point in attacking a creature with skirmish (unless you had an ability that would do something.)  Or does it only apply to attacking creatures with the keyword?

Yes, when the skirmish creature is declared attacking it suffers no damage from the opposing creature. 

No, when it's attacked it still takes damage. Evasive is the opposite of skirmish, and thus protects it from one attack a turn while 'defending'. Neither protect from damages from other sources.

8 hours ago, niarBaD said:

Yes, when the skirmish creature is declared attacking it suffers no damage from the opposing creature. 

No, when it's attacked it still takes damage. Evasive is the opposite of skirmish, and thus protects it from one attack a turn while 'defending'. Neither protect from damages from other sources.

Strictly speaking, evasive prevents the first damage from any source. Which prevented me Punching something dead.

3 hours ago, Polaritie said:

Strictly speaking, evasive prevents the first damage from any source. Which prevented me Punching something dead.

That is not correct, elusive triggers the first time a creature is attacked. The action card punch is not an attack. You should have been able to punch that something dead.

8 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

That is not correct, elusive triggers the first time a creature is attacked. The action card punch is not an attack. You should have been able to punch that something dead.

Infact, Punching something dead is how one of my decks deals with Evasive quite often ;)

16 hours ago, Polaritie said:

From the rulebook: Elusive only stops damage that would be dealt by each creature’s power; damage dealt by keywords or other abilities still applies.

So if the attacking creature has Assault it would damage an elusive creature too.  It's just the damage from a creatures power that fails to hit.

But according to the rules, both creatures are fighting. So I understand that both creatures are attacking. So if my creature with Skirmish is attacked, it is technically used to fight, thus it wouldn't take any damage.

The thing is that the terms "attacked" "attacking" isn't very clear for me, specially when the rules say that both creatures are fighting.

12 hours ago, Gus77 said:

But according to the rules, both creatures are fighting. So I understand that both creatures are attacking. So if my creature with Skirmish is attacked, it is technically used to fight, thus it wouldn't take any damage.

The thing is that the terms "attacked" "attacking" isn't very clear for me, specially when the rules say that both creatures are fighting.

Are you saying an Elusive Creature attacks a Skirmish Creature?
They both take damage, Skirmish doesn't work on Def, Elusive doesn't work on Off

Are you saying a Skirmish or really ANY creature attacks an Elusive Creature?
Neither take damage (on the first attack) from power.

13 hours ago, Gus77 said:

Attacking = The active players creatures
Attacked = The inactive players creatures

On 12/11/2018 at 11:00 PM, Gus77 said:

SKIRMISH When a creature with the skirmish keyword is used to fight, it takes no damage from the opposing creature when the damage from the fight is dealt. This applies only to damage that would be dealt by the opposing creature’s power, not by damage that is dealt by keywords or other card abilities.

the confusion is in the wording of "used to fight"

"used" and "fight" are keywords in keyforge.

FIGHT Any ready creature of the active house may fight. When a creature is used to fight, its controller chooses one eligible creature controlled by the opponent as the target of the attack. Each of the two creatures deals an amount of damage equal to its power (the value to the left of the card’s title) to the other creature. All of this damage is dealt simultaneously. After the fight resolves, if the creature that is being used to fight survives, all “Fight:” abilities the creature has, if it has any, resolve. A creature cannot fight if there is no enemy creature that can be chosen as the target of the attack.

using of a creature is something an active player can do with the creature.  when a skirmish creature is attacked by the enemy it is certainly fighting that creature but it was not "used" ,per the game definition of using, to fight.  clearly implying a need to activate that function of the card.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:06 AM, niarBaD said:

Elusive is not the opposite of Skirmish.

No damage at all is dealt to either creature when a creature fights an Elusive target for the first time on a turn.