Bakura83

Battledroids. How many, how much?

How many battle droids max are you expecting in one squad?  How expensive in points do you think they’ll be?  Should the be roughly equivalent to existing squads or do you think they should be in greater numbers but less reliable?  

I’d prefer the later - the Legion Equivalent of Skaven.

I'd love to see a mass of models,  but I suspect it will be in the interests of costs to see similar size squads, so that the droid army isn't the most expensive one for the equivalent size army. 

9 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

How many battle droids max are you expecting in one squad?  How expensive in points do you think they’ll be?  Should the be roughly equivalent to existing squads or do you think they should be in greater numbers but less reliable?  

I’d prefer the later - the Legion Equivalent of Skaven.

Working assumption: White defense die, no surge, Armor, white attack dice, no surge, immune to panic/suppression (no courage value)

I’d say a max of 8 models, starts at 6? (Or 10, start with 8). 8 points per model (48 start; or 6 points, 48 start for the larger group)

39 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Working assumption: White defense die, no surge, Armor, white attack dice, no surge, immune to panic/suppression (no courage value)

I’d say a max of 8 models, starts at 6? (Or 10, start with 8). 8 points per model (48 start; or 6 points, 48 start for the larger group)

For courage I’d say they should have a panic value but they don’t increase cover with supression since you see them flee but never take cover

20 minutes ago, Jabby said:

For courage I’d say they should have a panic value but they don’t increase cover with supression since you see them flee but never take cover

You might need to rewatch TPM with the hallway battle before the throne room.

Battle droids ducking in cover, and even pressing back against pillars to for cover, and such.

Granted they don’t use it WELL, but they do use it ?

If we're talking about the generic battle droids, then if they are similar in size to existing squads now, I think they should be very cheap and relatively weak. They're basically cannon fodder that will soak up wounds to help the heavier hitters like super battle droids, droidekas, dwarf spider droids, etc survive longer. But I wouldn't mind them being similarly priced in points as the current corps units if there was more models per unit. 6 would be a good start and then you'd have your extra droid, and two heavies. Maybe here, there could be an option of adding two extra generics with only one heavy option. Droids could really be a fun way for them to totally change things up.

19 minutes ago, Jabby said:

I like that idea, in the movies and shows, they pretty much hold formation and walk straight into blaster fire until they're about to be overwhelmed and lose -then they retreat. So no cover is cool. From this, I could see another mechanic maybe being one where they would not lose an action from being suppressed as long as they have a full squad, only when they start taking wounds will it effect them. Because if they dont gain cover from suppression, then they should at least not lose an action somehow.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

You might need to rewatch TPM with the hallway battle before the throne room.

Battle droids ducking in cover, and even pressing back against pillars to for cover, and such.

Granted they don’t use it WELL, but they do use it ?

True, but Im assuming he meant they dont generally look for cover during full scale battles. i.e. Naboo, Kashyyk, etc.

4 hours ago, Jman444 said:

If we're talking about the generic battle droids, then if they are similar in size to existing squads now, I think they should be very cheap and relatively weak. They're basically cannon fodder that will soak up wounds to help the heavier hitters like super battle droids, droidekas, dwarf spider droids, etc survive longer. But I wouldn't mind them being similarly priced in points as the current corps units if there was more models per unit. 6 would be a good start and then you'd have your extra droid, and two heavies. Maybe here, there could be an option of adding two extra generics with only one heavy option. Droids could really be a fun way for them to totally change things up.

I like that idea, in the movies and shows, they pretty much hold formation and walk straight into blaster fire until they're about to be overwhelmed and lose -then they retreat. So no cover is cool. From this, I could see another mechanic maybe being one where they would not lose an action from being suppressed as long as they have a full squad, only when they start taking wounds will it effect them. Because if they dont gain cover from suppression, then they should at least not lose an action somehow.

True, but Im assuming he meant they dont generally look for cover during full scale battles. i.e. Naboo, Kashyyk, etc.

I agree that droids have the biggest potential for shaking up the game, but given the likely white defense dice it's unlikely they will be taking suppression without also taking a wound or two. I think it would be interesting if they were immune to Suppressive and/or Mind Trick though. 

5 hours ago, Derrault said:

This is how I imagined them too. Ineffective in combat but large in number. Immune to panic but can still be suppressed.

3 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Did I miss an announcement from FFG? I know XWing is getting some Clone Wars love, have they said the same for Legion?

They made pretty much the same announcement at the same time for Legion.

Horde style droids would be sweeeeet! With the rule/stat set does it fit is the question? I haven't thought of anything that would make it OP, other than just having so much HP that the enemy can't put out enough damage to destroy enough minis. Being that the game is based off unit leaders, you just need that one mini for objectives, that would be the only worry I suppose. My guess is that they will be 6 minis to start plus a heavy? 

3 minutes ago, lukecook said:

Horde style droids would be sweeeeet! With the rule/stat set does it fit is the question? I haven't thought of anything that would make it OP, other than just having so much HP that the enemy can't put out enough damage to destroy enough minis. Being that the game is based off unit leaders, you just need that one mini for objectives, that would be the only worry I suppose. My guess is that they will be 6 minis to start plus a heavy? 

On the flip side, with the larger unit size it will be more difficult to find enough cover to fit a full squad of droids behind

8 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I agree that droids have the biggest potential for shaking up the game, but given the likely white defense dice it's unlikely they will be taking suppression without also taking a wound or two. I think it would be interesting if they were immune to Suppressive and/or Mind Trick though. 

For mind trick it could just be that the jedi are scrambling their circuits like in BF2 with Rey

I would like berween 10 and 15!!!

I know it is unlikely, but it should be at least a number that dwarves the rest of armies, as droids are clearly the horde army of useless and disposable soldiers. It is said in Kamino that clones are creative and are simply better than droids, and we constantly see jedi and clones destroying waves of stupid droids.

Perhaps theur stupidity is also their advantage... should they be immune to supression?

Perhaps their advantage could be communication between units, what if a unit can receive orders when it is near a friendly unit near a commander instead of the commander itself? That would create "order bubbles" or "chains of command" that would be a significant advantage...

Edited by Tubb

13 minutes ago, Tubb said:

Perhaps their advantage could be communication between units, what if a unit can receive orders when it is near a friendly unit near a commander instead of the commander itself? That would create "order bubbles" or "chains of command" that would be a significant advantage...

Thats also a cool idea, I could see it being a little too strong and basically a built in long range comms so to benefit from that "chain of command" and be fair, perhaps each unit in succession would have to be range 1 or 2 from each other... Or maybe droids have "integrated comms" where they can automatically take orders from range 4?

Like X-Wing has done, I think offering a "programming" upgrade slot could be a cool way to integrate a lot of what is being discussed.

14 minutes ago, Jman444 said:

Thats also a cool idea, I could see it being a little too strong and basically a built in long range comms so to benefit from that "chain of command" and be fair, perhaps each unit in succession would have to be range 1 or 2 from each other... Or maybe droids have "integrated comms" where they can automatically take orders from range 4?

Like X-Wing has done, I think offering a "programming" upgrade slot could be a cool way to integrate a lot of what is being discussed.

Programming slot +10 ?

Glad to see people favouring the horde idea. I like the programming idea, but I think it should be a double sided card and give them two different “modes” possibly one that favours cover and one that favours open spaces, as people have pointed out they do act differently in different situational terrain, and they are all being controlled remotely - If FFG REALLY wants to push the envelop and make the factions unique perhaps make the droids the first army who don’t NEED a commander on the battlefield...just a little command node you can shut down maybe?  Have them start to shut down the way the old Necrons use to start phasing out?

10+ in a squad would make me very happy.  That and one or two droid tanks and a few droid dekas.

8 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

Glad to see people favouring the horde idea. I like the programming idea, but I think it should be a double sided card and give them two different “modes” possibly one that favours cover and one that favours open spaces, as people have pointed out they do act differently in different situational terrain, and they are all being controlled remotely - If FFG REALLY wants to push the envelop and make the factions unique perhaps make the droids the first army who don’t NEED a commander on the battlefield...just a little command node you can shut down maybe?  Have them start to shut down the way the old Necrons use to start phasing out?

10+ in a squad would make me very happy.  That and one or two droid tanks and a few droid dekas.

IIRC they are only remote controlled in EpI. That weakness was deemed not worth the savings after the Battle of Naboo and removed.

A couple of thoughts.

I like the idea of min squad 6 with slots for extra trooper, heavy trooper and grenades. Reason being you need to have some flexibility with squad size to help list building. 6-8 troops is still larger than your average squad of 5 men.  Also going too big means the squad boxes will be dearer which you don't want having one faction far more expensive than the others. If they go full in then a droid only tech slot would be cool too.

Generally people think white defence dice no surge to help with the 'cheap horde' approach.  I generally agree but also have this feeling that a battle droid can take a laser bolt far better than a rebel trooper could. Droid has arm blown off and keeps fighting, rebel trooper probably in trouble.

Droid army wide rules would be like Battle Protocol: Can receive orders up to range 4 (built in long range comms), immune Jedi mind tricks, can never gain the cover benefit of suppression tokens.

20 minutes ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Generally people think white defence dice no surge to help with the 'cheap horde' approach.  I generally agree but also have this feeling that a battle droid can take a laser bolt far better than a rebel trooper could. Droid has arm blown off and keeps fighting, rebel trooper probably in trouble.

Sounds a whole lot like: white defensive dice - two wounds per mini.  This would give you the "feeling" of endless waves of disposable droids without having to actually field 10 in a unit.