RedHotDice

Vulture swarm: Staying alive? Is it even viable?

I've heard an interesting fan explanation on B1s being centrally controlled vs independant.

The B1s were designed for central control, but after naboo, they needed to retrofit basic independance to avoid another potential disaster. They couldnt add proccessing, but they could repurpose some of it- particularly the vocabulator's processor. So the independant B1s can think, as long as they say EVERYTHING they're thinking.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:18 AM, RedHotDice said:

And there is still a cap of 8 ships maximum in 2.0 right? So lowering cost is not going to help..

Not necessarily. I'm betting they are cheap enough to field 7 with another higher value ship, like Grievous or Darth Maul. Having them cheap enough to fit another pretty decent ship in could make them worth it. 

6 minutes ago, JaxonEvans said:

Not necessarily. I'm betting they are cheap enough to field 7 with another higher value ship, like Grievous or Darth Maul. Having them cheap enough to fit another pretty decent ship in could make them worth it.  

I'm not seeing Maul being less than 75 or 80 points nor the Vultures cheaper than 23. They have allot more potential than you're giving them credit for.

Maul:swz30_darth-maul.png

Dial is Red 5 K, White 4 Straight, White 3 Hards and Banks, Blue 3 Straight, White 2 Hard, Blue 2 Banks and Straight, Red 2 Sloops, Red 1 Hards, Blue 1 Banks and Straight.

Large base. Title most likely provides Cloak action.

9 minutes ago, JaxonEvans said:

Having them cheap enough to fit another pretty decent ship in could make them worth it

It would also probably make flying them different than flying a tie swarm. Having a full on, proper swarm and a high end ship is probably going to be very different to an imperial ace + mini-swarm 

6 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

I'm not seeing Maul being less than 75 or 80 points nor the Vultures cheaper than 23. They have allot more potential than you're giving them credit for.

Dial is Red 5 K, White 4 Straight, White 3 Hards and Banks, Blue 3 Straight, White 2 Hard, Blue 2 Banks and Straight, Red 2 Sloops, Red 1 Hards, Blue 1 Banks and Straight.

You sure it ain't a Medium Base?

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Ratio of the bullseye arc to the base width is wrong for med.

46 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Yeah, definitely large. 

Huh.

I don't like that at all. Yeah that makes it fast and terrifying with cloak but... Also easy to hit when you hit it.

3 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Huh.

I don't like that at all. Yeah that makes it fast and terrifying with cloak but... Also easy to hit when you hit it.

No denying that, though a Large base with 2 Sloops and a cloaking device is interesting to me in a positive way. :)

On 11/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, Hiemfire said:

That box is requirement and restrictions, so likely only 1 Tac Relay upgrade per squad. What would you stick it on?

But that would be the same as unique? So a single "dot" could have handlet that.

I guess it means only one of these upgrades per ship - which would be interesting as you could field multiple and really get a swarm effect - if so, it must be expensive

9 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Large base, and only 1 agility is not what I expected from the Scimitar. I would have imagined something more akin to the IG-2000s to play the role as a Sith Assassin - at least 2 agility.

4 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

Large base, and only 1 agility is not what I expected from the Scimitar. I would have imagined something more akin to the IG-2000s to play the role as a Sith Assassin - at least 2 agility.

As somebody who flies this monster on the regular, 1 is about right. It's not exactly hard to miss.

You just need to get a chance to hit it, is the problem.

16 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

While I agree that people are underselling the Vulture droids, I don't think they are in line to be 23 pts as the cheapest like the Academy TIEs. I'm think maybe a few points under that like 21. 

Medium and large ships decloack with the 1 stright right? It won't be to hard to hit it as is, but we don't know how the experimental cloak works yet, so there might be a nice surprise hidden there for the Scimitar.

7 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

But that would be the same as unique? So a single "dot" could have handlet that.

I guess it means only one of these upgrades per ship - which would be interesting as you could field multiple and really get a swarm effect - if so, it must be expensive

Not exactly, the upgrade slot itself being limited would be what I think Solitare implies. We already have 2 Tac Relay upgrades spoiled. Making them limited by bullet points would enable both to be taken.

7 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

Tac relay is the type of upgrade, not the name of that particular upgrade. The prevailing theory is that “solitary” means only one of that class of upgrade per squad. It would be like saying “only 1 crew per squad” not “only one perceptive copilot per squad”, which would be covered by dots. 

On 11/14/2018 at 8:51 AM, Mangipan said:

What if, and this is crazy right, but what if they had only shown us the Grappling Struts open?

And what if there was a wild universe where generally ships with multiple flight modes like the X-Wing and the U-Wing had increased agility on one side?

Wild, I know. But what if both those things were true and closed Grappling Struts probably offers +1 Agility?

But there is no Grappling Struts (Closed).  You're thinking of Darth Sideus.

23 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

But there is no Grappling Struts (Closed).  You're thinking of Darth Sideus.

Keep dreaming mazz0, there is a closed side to that Configuration. They just haven't spoiled it yet. We should have more info on it in Jan or Feb.

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Keep dreaming mazz0, there is a closed side to that Configuration. They just haven't spoiled it yet. We should have more info on it in Jan or Feb.

Difficult to see, always in motion the future is.

Vulture Swarm I think will depend on

1. the cost of Energy-Shell Charges. If you can field 7 with Energy-Shell Charges that could be pretty good. Even if one goes down, you still have 6, 3 die shots which can do some work. So if Vultures are 23, and Energy-Shell Charges are 5 points (28 total), you could run seven of them with Energy-Shell Charges and still have 4 points left.

2. the flip side of the struts configuration (+1 agi??)

But yeah sharing calculate could help as well. Should be an interesting play style for the CIS.

Edited by HanScottFirst

On 11/14/2018 at 4:34 AM, Stealthcmc1974 said:

You're probably right, but you could have phrased this a bit differently. The passive aggressiveness is strong with one.

that was sarcastic, not passive aggressive.  sarcasm is primarily used for humor (even at someones expense) but clearly communicates its intent.

passive aggressive behavior relies on uncertainty in the victim or audience, and is meant to bully or provoke a negative reaction in someone else while relying on social norms to prevent the target of the behsvior from defending themselves.