Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf_

Wizard's Quest and Woodland Realm announced for retail

The quests aren't easy, but they're not particularly hard either.  The challenge comes from "racing" against your opponent.  Unless you make an agreement with your opponent(s) ahead of time, this funnels you into a smaller than normal "deck space".  You won't win by playing side quests for example.  It's a completely different way to play.

For purely coop play, the scenarios have a lot of replay value because the encounter deck can be randomized or deliberately built to be harder, easier, punish certain strategies, or not punish them, etc.   The Woodland Realm was a kind of vanilla experience to be honest for pure coop.  Other than the encounter building aspect, there is nothing mechanically unique about the quest.  I think The Wizard’s Quest might be in the same boat but I haven’t played it yet.  The format , though, is awesome and I certainly hope they make more of these.  

I played co-op at the event with a new player, using quick build for a random setup.  We also made it easier/faster by using the first card that matched the point criteria for "opponent choose", rather than deciding which card of that value or less would be most damaging.  Played that way it wasn't as cohesive as your typical quest, but quick randomly generated and reasonably balanced quests hold some interest to me even as a solo player.  I'm wondering whether it's compelling enough to invest in a second copy of each for that mode.

I don't play with other players for logistic reason, so only in solo 1 or 2 handed (Sometimes solo 3 or 4 handed just to experience multiplayer game but I don't recommend it if you have dear your mental sanity...). 

Do you believe these quest are worth in solo co-op? I expect them to be hard to get by in Italy and quite expensive for shipping and import fee. 

I still couldn't put my hands on attack on dol guldur,  the only quest I miss apart from  some nightmare packs...

Edited by Halberto

Not great solo; they are mostly cards you have seen before and not that 'hard', but a lot to slow you down.

I enjoyed the format; it's something I hope to see more of; needs two people.

Edited by ColinEdwards

In solo co-op I see it as the equivalent of randomly generated levels in a dungeon crawl -- no grand design, but a good diversion that varies its contents from session to session.  I think whether that prospect interests you, despite owning nearly everything already, may vary greatly from person to person.  And I expect people to construct their own quests using the advanced rules and share them like a deckbuild; those won't necessarily be more thematic, but they will be tougher.

In its competition form it's unique, of course.

I did a pretty exhaustive review of The Wizard's Quest on my blog, if you're interested: https://darklingdoor.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/spoiler-alert-the-wizards-quest/

The Woodland Realm is pretty similar, although it feels slightly easier on the whole. Both quests combine really nicely, too. If you're planning to do Advanced Builds, it's probably worth picking up two copies of each. 

7 minutes ago, Authraw said:

I did a pretty exhaustive review of The Wizard's Quest on my blog, if you're interested: https://darklingdoor.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/spoiler-alert-the-wizards-quest/

The Woodland Realm is pretty similar, although it feels slightly easier on the whole. Both quests combine really nicely, too. If you're planning to do Advanced Builds, it's probably worth picking up two copies of each. 

Thanks Authraw. I regularly follow your blog and reviews which are really good.

I was sure of the quality of Wizard quest as a product but unsure if it is worth the outrageous cost I expect to have to pay for it when I most likely will never enjoy the competitive mode. 

1 hour ago, GILLIES291 said:

How is it for cooperative players though? Still fun and interesting? I'm thinking increased variety for more replay value.  

Still incredible in co-op, IMHO. Replayability is way of the charts because of the format's very nature, let alone advanced build mode.

1 hour ago, GrandSpleen said:

Yeah for competitive mode you need 1 copy of the scenario per 2-player team. So 2 copies for 1 competitive 2v2 game.

Although the scenario works perfectly well in 3v3 or 4v4 as well, with only 2 copies of the scenario.

Or 1v1!

56 minutes ago, Halberto said:

Do you believe these quest are worth in solo co-op? I expect them to be hard to get by in Italy and quite expensive for shipping and import fee.  

I still couldn't put my hands on attack on dol guldur,  the only quest I miss apart from  some nightmare packs...

Definitely worth it. They are perfect for testing player decks because you can craft the encounter deck exactly how you want. You can just build an encounter deck that sounds fun to you to intentionally wreck yourself or create really thematic decks centered around Wargs, Orcs, threat raising, direct damage, etc.

Don't feel too bad about missing Assault on Dol Guldur!

1 hour ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Don't feel too bad about missing Assault on Dol Guldur!

We have gotten a lot of replay out of AoDG by mixing the cards into Woodlands Realms; I love the boss fights. (As a mission it's a bit hard work, as some extra cards to mix into Woodland Realm: it's awesome.)

2 hours ago, ColinEdwards said:

We have gotten a lot of replay out of AoDG by mixing the cards into Woodlands Realms; I love the boss fights. (As a mission it's a bit hard work, as some extra cards to mix into Woodland Realm: it's awesome.)

So you add cards from other encounter sets to the Woodland Realm/Wizard's Quest? :unsure:

5 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Do you think having a double-thick encounter set for quick builds would serve any purpose?

When you say double-thick, I assume you mean two copies of a single quest. In which case I would say the only reason to do so is if you want to play competitively with a friend who does not own the quest.

But if you only want to play cooperatively with the quick build rules, I'm not sure you could even legally use a second quest. Doubling up on a single encounter set could produce greater-than-three copies of a single encounter card, something which is disallowed in advanced builds.

The advanced rules are pretty fun, though, and they're much more fun with a second copy of the cards so you can go 2x of some nasties like Goblin Sniper.

4 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

So you add cards from other encounter sets to the Woodland Realm/Wizard's Quest? :unsure:

Yeah, exactly. AoDG is pretty easy to split into 4 reasonably balanced boss fight decks. (I have an extra Stewards Fear we use like this as well.)

I have played Woodland Realm both co-op and solo but i mainly play solo games - for me it is just the kind of thing i wanted, i love the Mirkwood core set scenario and this enables me to play it again with some new and some familiar cards but with new encounter wording, and it is a bit tougher too. Then i can effectively build my own adventure challenge or just go really random from a larger pool set. I think it is really fun and can't wait to add Wizards Quest to my set. Spiders and Orc's are one of my adventure favourite themes though so that helps a lot. I think it adds a lot of variety to quests as you can tailor your adventure to some degree. 

Woodland Realm is one of my highest rated adventures > http://crusadersgames.co.uk/board-games/lord-of-the-rings-lcg/

Edited by Crusaderlord

11 hours ago, ColinEdwards said:

Yeah, exactly. AoDG is pretty easy to split into 4 reasonably balanced boss fight decks. (I have an extra Stewards Fear we use like this as well.)

Um . . . that's breaking the rules. :mellow: Obviously you're not forbidden from doing what you want with your own flat cardboard objects, though. :) I don't mean to be bigoted.

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard
-

I think all the cards in the Woodland Realm are repeats with a couple light changes (where your 'opponent' chooses rather than 'random") The main value is organising them into fairly balanced groups. 

With AoDG, you can pretty much take a boss and a couple matching locations, treacheries and enemies and have 4 'balanced' (but diverse) choices. Thematically, they work well with Woodland Realm, and it's pretty obvious how to do it 

Topic Change:

What I'd like to see is some playable "Nazgul' decks to go along with the (current) hero versions... Maybe some assymetric gameplay where you can go head to head via challenge decks. That'd be awesome. 

Edited by ColinEdwards

While all the cards reuse names and artwork, I went through the first 5 sets from Greenwood forest without finding any cards that I would consider repeats.  Are there any cards that are identical stats/effects, excluding "opposing player chooses" or "X = stage + <number>" text?

Caught in a Web is not identical, even excluding the choice of hero.  There are several changes to the core original:

1) The new version is limit one per hero.

2) The new version requires 2 resources for *any* ready, while the original only prohibits readying in the refresh phase without paying.

3) The new version also exhausts the hero it is attached to.

It's recognizably the same concept, which isn't true for all the cards, but the Woodland Realm version is significantly nastier even without the opponent choosing.