Jarval

Deadly Speed - Resistance A-Wing article

Just now, dsul413 said:

She'll be fun to fly if cheap. Thinking sort of like Duchess.

Oh you want to keep her on the cheap. Period. Tallie Lintra want to be a wallflower in your list. If she's ever the target of multiple attacks she is gonna' die. Hard. But if others are being attacked, she's suddenly extremely valuable.

If you've got a 100 point resistance bomber- and yes I fully expect them to creep into that range once fully decked out, even getting half points on that is really smart. much smarter than killing Tallie at a 15 half point or 30 full point value.

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Here's what Tallie wants to do: She wants to stay away from the damage sponge, like the MG-100 or YT-1300, and she wants to goad the enemy into attacking them instead. So what you do, is you keep your Tallie Lintra cheap on points, so that she's not a priority high-point-value target.

YOU WANT FERROSPHERE ON THE MG-100 AND IF YOU RUN WITHOUT IT YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF STUPID.

This is bad advice. 

Tallie's ability is trash, for all the many reasons that have already been pointed out by so many.  A shame she didn't get L'ulo's ability, as so many people have been so excited for her for so long (she's also the only on-screen Resistance A-Wing pilot), yet I suspect she'll never be seen on competitive tables.

MG-100 Star Fortresses are large, predictable bases, making it the easiest thing for an enemy ship to get their Bullseye on (and thus bypass Ferrosphere's penalty entirely).  So they are, without a doubt, the worst ship in the Resistance line-up to put Ferrosphere on.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

29 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

This is bad advice. 

Tallie's ability is trash, for all the many reasons that have already been pointed out by so many.  A shame she didn't get L'ulo's ability, as so many people have been so excited for her for so long (she's also the only on-screen Resistance A-Wing pilot), yet I suspect she'll never be seen on competitive tables.

MG-100 Star Fortresses are large, predictable bases, making it the easiest thing for an enemy ship to get their Bullseye on (and thus bypass Ferrosphere's penalty entirely).  So they are, without a doubt, the worst ship in the Resistance line-up to put Ferrosphere on.

Geez you're really kind of a jerk sometimes.

The thing about pricing:

I think a cheap generic for one of these is probably worth about 30-32 points (with the Rebel one going down to 28, along with 2 point drops on Scyk, TIE v1, TIE Aggressor).

But.

I haven't played with this mobile arc.  TIE/SF and ARC-170 had rear arcs, but they didn't move like one of these.  It might blow me away in terms of how much it can accomplish.  There's never really been high-mobility ship which could actually have a fly-away game plan before.

Or the mobile arc might add next to nothing in practice, and these are as mediocre as Rebel A-Wings.

Just now, TBot said:

Lulo seems amazing! She will be a great flanker. Just get behind the enemy and target lock -> red boost to proc her 3 attack die!

Great flanker or a great distraction. Remember when running them that that extra attack die comes at the cost of a def die when stressed. 4 Hp guarded by 2 green. Reminds me of Nedru Suhlak, just faster and with a tail arc.

2 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Great flanker or a great distraction. Remember when running them that that extra attack die comes at the cost of a def die when stressed. 4 Hp guarded by 2 green. Reminds me of Nedru Suhlak, just faster and with a tail arc.

Agreed. If shes cheap like other a wings she will be a great distraction too. If ya sense they are gunning for her you dont have to proc her ability

4 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Oh you want to keep her on the cheap. Period. Tallie Lintra want to be a wallflower in your list. If she's ever the target of multiple attacks she is gonna' die. Hard. But if others are being attacked, she's suddenly extremely valuable.

If you've got a 100 point resistance bomber- and yes I fully expect them to creep into that range once fully decked out, even getting half points on that is really smart. much smarter than killing Tallie at a 15 half point or 30 full point value.

I doubt Tallie will be that cheap, given the rebel A-wings point cost. But given we don’t have an I-5 A-wing to go off of yet, I could see her costing between 36-38 points.

4 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

This is bad advice. 

Tallies ability is not trash, it’s situational, which takes on a different meaning in 2nd edition.

sure, you might not do anything with the extra green, or it might just save Poe, and if nothing else Tallie will be rolling 4 dice at least once a round. 

A-wings much like their imperial counterparts have always lived and died by their green dice, so Tallies ability feels great on spreading the love around. 

In a faction of heavy hitters, she should work just fine, assuming she’s not horribly overpriced.

14 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

If you've got a target lined up in a bullseye arc, which, with this set of cards... should be REALLY easy... Like, for real! If you're rocking ALL THESE BLUES and you're able to perform red maneuvers while stressed, you can like... Like, holy crap guys. You can just roll and boost around to your heart's content thanks to primed thrusters and the A-Wing's native ability.

There's still time before the RZ-2 drops. 

Go play a few games with Procket Jake and tell me how you get on. Now granted, prockets are a one off and as such demand full mods - which aren't easy to get - and the focus requirement doesn't play so nicely with repositioning so it's harder to make the prockets themselves work.

But ignore that for now and just try to land the shot in the first place. It is immensely frustrating. 

What is easy as pie for Soontir to do hits a wall on the A-Wings simply because you are stuck with only one possible order of double repositioning.

I've played procket Jake twice and only once in both games managed to land the bullseye. Admittedly, I'm not a very good player but the number of times I wanted to bank boost for facing and then barrel roll to drag the bullseye across the defender's base was infuriating. 

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm not saying a better player woudn't be able to get that arc more reliably. But I am saying that the A-Wing's lack of flexibility is a hurdle to get over.

Assuming that Tallie is going to be untouchable on the flanks and lining up that bullseye every single round is naive. 

It's not an easy ability to trigger, but it's entirely defensive in nature.

Defensive abilities are great when you can attach them to another ship as upgrades. They are very, very rarely any good when you're having to find space for a whole ship in your list. 

If a ship in your list isn't doing damage, it had better be because it's co-ordinating the **** out of the rest of the list or otherwise providing solid action economy (Jendon, etc.). An extra defence dice is nice, but it's not action economy. If an extra defence die was worth the returns, everyone with a mod slot would be packing Stealth Device. The more dice you roll, the more reliable your mods need to be. 

Tallie as an individual ship doesn't offer enough, IMO. Even as just an I5 repositioning flanker, she just doesn't have enough to impact a game. 

Maybe if they finally release a decent missile and you run her with Outmaneuver, but that buffs all other A-Wings equally. 

L'ulo does the job of a high Init flanker so much better. While this will all come down to price, I just don't see Tallie being cheap enough vs L'ulo to really consider.

YOU WANT FERROSPHERE ON THE MG-100 AND IF YOU RUN WITHOUT IT YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF STUPID.

You mean the one ship that can take it that's easiest to line a bullseye arc up on?

A large base ship is the last place you want to put it. It would literally do nothing against high init ordnance carriers like Wedge. Even Dutch probably wouldn't struggle to completely ignore the card on a Space B-17.

It's all cost dependent, obviously. But Ferrosphere feels built for T-70s to me. A-Wings are better off just not getting shot at all, T-70s are the ones who can most reliably trigger the card and the ones who benefit most from discouraging attacks. 

13 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Geez you're really kind of a jerk sometimes.

Says the guy who wrote that anyone who didn't put ferrosphere onto an MG100 was "the definition of stupid" (you literally even wrote it in bold text).

If you make personal attacks demeaning other players whilst also offering really bad game advice, yea you're going to get challenged on it.  Sorry.

47 minutes ago, Covered in Weasels said:

I think Concussion Missiles count as a decent weapon on high-initiative A-Wing pilots.

"A high initiative A-Wing pilot? What's that?" - The Rebel Alliance  ?

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

RE: Tallie:

If she wasn't top initiative, I don't think she'd see play.  Swap her initiative with either the 3 or 4, letting them get their abilities on Init 5, and I don't think folks fly an Init 3 Tallie, but would surely play any of the other pilots.

That doesn't mean Tallie is bad.  Her ability is OK (I wish it wasn't charge-based, since lining it up on multiple ships is hard, and not too many ships make multiple attacks), even if it probably is the weakest of the four.  Lulo might be Bad, Actually (tm), but is probably solid.  Free rotate action will, I think, be pretty nice.  That'd be a triple-action turn with a red boost, or just focus-rotate for no stress.  Getting an action on a bump is really nice.

But 3 or 4 initiative are kind of low.  An Init 3 ship isn't an arc dodger who wants a tool to prevent dying when blocked.

Tallie, I think, will see play only for being Init 5.  Her ability will help some, but simply being an Init 5 A-Wing I think will go a decent way.

9 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I doubt Tallie will be that cheap, given the rebel A-wings point cost. But given we don’t have an I-5 A-wing to go off of yet, I could see her costing between 36-38 points.

Jakes 40. I expect her to be in the 45-50 range. unfortunately. 

they are more durable (in theory) than a Z95. but because a Z95 is 6 points cheaper it doesn't feel as bad when you loose one.

Anyways, A-wings are not "aces", they are not made for the end game, they are made for early/mid game, they are flankers and harassers. Their job is to make the enemies lives difficult by being that annoying mosquito that you have to turn around and slap. I think Lulo and Tallie fit into that role perfectly. 

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Says the guy who wrote that anyone who didn't put ferrosphere onto an MG100 was "the definition of stupid" (you literally even wrote it in bold text).

If you make personal attacks demeaning other players whilst also offering really bad game advice, yea you're going to get challenged on it.  Sorry.

I was being facetious, my god.

32 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

so why is token stacking defenders okay but A-wings can't :(

Because a token stacking defender is easily half your list for a single gun that moves fairly predictably

4 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

so, raise price of A-wings by 10, give me free evades

Honest question, but do you think A-wings would be worth the price then? Now you are looking at 40-50 points for a very durable ship with the bite of a gnat. A-wings already seem to be struggling compared to z-95s because they pay for that extra evade die.

10 minutes ago, Toph said:

Honest question, but do you think A-wings would be worth the price then? Now you are looking at 40-50 points for a very durable ship with the bite of a gnat. A-wings already seem to be struggling compared to z-95s because they pay for that extra evade die.

I'd pay 50 for Jake all day long if he had a free evade token every turn.