Jump to content
Darth Meanie

A New Type of TIE?

Recommended Posts

I see... So it's a gunship with access to weapons a step above its pay grade. Unique and powerful, ostensibly good dial to boot. ...A powerhouse ship with a focus on arsenal and raw power rather than efficiency? Is it meant to be like Tie Defender levels of powerful?

By the way, I do think ffg will be able to pull a decent model out of the thing, I just hope they base it off of Fractal Sponges' renditions as opposed to that disgusting green helicopter on wookiepdeia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Also I think the mileage on mutating the basic TIE Fighter is running out. I'd much sooner get different Imperial fighters with different design lineages - the Assault Gunboat was a great start, how about the Skipray Blastboat as a medium base? 

See, I distinctly DON’T want non-tie fighters for the Empire, they define the look of the faction. I hate that the gunboat got made. 

Though I do agree we are running out of viable TIE variants. We aren’t there yet, but close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Prosk_019 said:

I see... So it's a gunship with access to weapons a step above its pay grade. Unique and powerful, ostensibly good dial to boot. ...A powerhouse ship with a focus on arsenal and raw power rather than efficiency? Is it meant to be like Tie Defender levels of powerful?

By the way, I do think ffg will be able to pull a decent model out of the thing, I just hope they base it off of Fractal Sponges' renditions as opposed to that disgusting green helicopter on wookiepdeia.

Offensively, I’d say it has potential to be classed ahead of the Defender.

Defensively, much weaker. It should have higher hit points, but likely a 1 or 2 agi. The dial will probably be more akin to a Y-Wing. Serviceable, but not amazing. 

I can agree with basing the model and color scheme on Fractle’s work is the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

See, I distinctly DON’T want non-tie fighters for the Empire, they define the look of the faction. I hate that the gunboat got made. 

Though I do agree we are running out of viable TIE variants. We aren’t there yet, but close. 

I mean what's left?

TIE Avenger = TIE Advanced

TIE Hunter = TIE Interceptor

TIE Heavy/Brute = whatever.

Honestly, I would never have wanted the TIE Automated for 1.0, but I ACTUALLY LIKE SOMETHING FROM SECOND EDITION, namely that droid fighters have a unique mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

For Empire as a whole, I’ll also throw in with the Blastboat. Like the Gunboat, it’s got potential for multiple configurations to provide a versatility of roles while also filling the whole in the Imperial Fleet left by the Firespray’s absence (though that absence pretty much extends to much of 1.0).

I've always loved the blastboat in the EU novels.

But for some other fighters..  How's about the twilik craft, the Chri'daki, otherwise called the Death seeds?  Or Preybirds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LTuser said:

I've always loved the blastboat in the EU novels.

But for some other fighters..  How's about the twilik craft, the Chri'daki, otherwise called the Death seeds?  Or Preybirds.

The Deathseeds might work as a Rebel or Scum ship. But it also fits in to the “Ugly” archetype of a mismatch of ship parts put together. My quick read of the wookieepedia article does say they were standardized in manufacturing, but still I’m not sure how well that would be received. I also don’t know what it brings new gameplay wise. I’m not against it, but i’m not particularly for it either.

The Preybird, on the other hand, I’m all for. I love the idea of a waning Empire having to adopt new ships as old resources were cut off. I’m a little worried it could turn out to be a k-Fighter in a different skin, but there could be room for some way to distinguish it for Imperial service. Oh, according to the wookieepedia article, it has a Gunner. That could be the edge it needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've liked the look of the Tie Automated since the first Rouge Squadron game on the N64. Honestly not sure why so many people seem down on the idea of adding them to X-wing. we have non-canon EU stuff in the game right now, so that is a pretty flimsy argument IMO. As far as people not liking it visually, well that's all subjective so again no real argument to be had there. As far as design space, these would not be stepping on any other factions toes. It's no secret that droids on Scum are pretty solid, and the Rebels even dabble in droid's a bit as well. To the people saying this somehow reduces the specialness of the CIS faction, it's just one ship. The CIS will probably wind up with minimum 4 droid only ships, this is just one. The Separatists are THE droid pilot faction, with multiple platforms not flown by meat-bags, so I fail to see how this steps on their toes. A tie Automated could be a different way to do a tie swarm, possibly a 3/2/3 stat line to make it hit harder and die faster as opposed to a tie/ln, and maybe we'd see an imperial crew that synergizes with calc tokens to fly with them as a result. If I flew Imperials, seeing this thing show up in a future wave would make me pretty excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I've liked the look of the Tie Automated since the first Rouge Squadron game on the N64. Honestly not sure why so many people seem down on the idea of adding them to X-wing. we have non-canon EU stuff in the game right now, so that is a pretty flimsy argument IMO.

True, the Defender, alpha wing (gunboat) are also from the EU and the computer games.  So i don't know why others from the EU/games couldn't come in..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 10:50 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Well, at least with the advent of the Vulture, I know what a droid ship should do in the game:

ED4eeda.jpg

And there are always fine DIY options:

ocELHyy.jpg

Shouldn't it have Calculate, not Focus?

On 11/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, EVIL INC said:

I think if they were to create new ships on their own, the scum faction would be the best area todo it in .

Yes, because the faction that already has three times as many eras to draw from as any other faction--and which already has the jankiest, most unique abilities--really needs to have even more stuff just for it.

Personally, I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd prefer the Experimental TIEs (with a control ship) over TIE/Droids.

Edited by JJ48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 10:50 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Well, at least with the advent of the Vulture, I know what a droid ship should do in the game:

ED4eeda.jpg

And there are always fine DIY options:

ocELHyy.jpg

I also have 6 of these things off of Shapeways. I gave them a stat line of 2/3/4/0 but made them PS 0. I made them have to have a "Droid control  tech" which was a crew option. I also gave them a title option that allowed them  to lose the droid control tech requirement, but  cost a few points. I really haven't thought about them in 2.0 terms though. Using calculate would be cool. I might revisit them. Great idea @Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...