Darth Meanie

A New Type of TIE?

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

What TIE fighter could FFG produce that has it's own unique role/style?

How 'bout the TIE/D Automated??

The mechanics for droid fighters now exist. . .

Image result for tie/d automated starfighter

Vulture_Droid_(TF).jpg

It's literally the same thing, but canon. If Dark Empire was remade, it would be a Mining Guild operation producing Vulture droids.

6 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

It's literally the same thing, but canon.

That's my point.  The mechanic exists, we just need a model.  It would give the Imperial Faction something they don't have at all in the moment.

If Dark Empire was remade, it would be a Mining Guild operation producing Vulture droids.

Why?  It's Dark EMPIRE.  Evil Imperial scientists coming up with the same thing with an Imperial aesthetic.

Bleh.

The TIE Drone very much feels like a remnant of an older time. 

The same goes for the TIE Experimentals from XWA. Both made a huge deal about this revolutionary and dangerous technology of combining droids with starfighters, only for TPM to show up a year or two later and say "nah, they were super cheap and super common thirty years ago and whole armies used them".

It's an ugly ship from a divisive comic book. 

Let Seps be the droid pilot faction. No reason every faction needs every ship type and mechanic. 

Also I think the mileage on mutating the basic TIE Fighter is running out. I'd much sooner get different Imperial fighters with different design lineages - the Assault Gunboat was a great start, how about the Skipray Blastboat as a medium base? 

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

That's my point.  The mechanic exists, we just need a model.  It would give the Imperial Faction something they don't have at all in the moment.

Why?  It's Dark EMPIRE.  Evil Imperial scientists coming up with the same thing with an Imperial aesthetic.

Ore_Crawler_413-24.jpgWD_NEGWT.jpg

Right. Imperial aestetic.

11 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Also I think the mileage on mutating the basic TIE Fighter is running out. I'd much sooner get different Imperial fighters with different design lineages - the Assault Gunboat was a great start, how about the Skipray Blastboat as a medium base? 

True; thus this a a droid fighter (as a "class") trumped up as a TIE, and thus "different" than another TIE/var.

And I agree that a Skipray would be a FAR BETTER option.

31 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

True; thus this a a droid fighter (as a "class") trumped up as a TIE, and thus "different" than another TIE/var.

And I agree that a Skipray would be a FAR BETTER option.

No, I mean people are sick of the visuals. It being a droid doesn't make it not another mutated TIE.

I like how different is in quotes there because it emphasises that you don't actually mean different, you mean the opposite. 

It's yet another ball cockpit with different shaped solar panel wings. 

Enough is enough. The Aggressor was already bad enough, the TIE Brute we're probably going to be forced to have from Solo is worse. Every time someone suggests adding something else with a TIE prefix I just want to throw something. 

For new TIE with a new role, I’m in the TIE Heavy camp. I could see it filling the role that use to be filled by the SF, plus a cannon slot. 

For Empire as a whole, I’ll also throw in with the Blastboat. Like the Gunboat, it’s got potential for multiple configurations to provide a versatility of roles while also filling the whole in the Imperial Fleet left by the Firespray’s absence (though that absence pretty much extends to much of 1.0). 

As for the TIE Automated...maybe? I need to see how the CIS droid starfighters work on the table before really speculating on its application for the Empire.

Ok ok... What is it with people and the blastboat? It's got to be one of the ugliest ships I've seen in star wars! Is there something I'm missing? Does it have good source material to translate to the game that would make for very fun and interesting mechanics? Is it THAT beloved a ship that people just want the opportunity to fly it regardless of appearance? Is it our best option for fitting niches in the imperial faction?

I'm very curious and confused.

5 minutes ago, Prosk_019 said:

Ok ok... What is it with people and the blastboat? It's got to be one of the ugliest ships I've seen in star wars! Is there something I'm missing? Does it have good source material to translate to the game that would make for very fun and interesting mechanics? Is it THAT beloved a ship that people just want the opportunity to fly it regardless of appearance? Is it our best option for fitting niches in the imperial faction?

Powerhouse "small" ships with spinny parts. It carried capital ship Ion Cannons and a Turbo Laser stock.

18 minutes ago, Prosk_019 said:

Um, yeah??

It's probably one of the first "new" ships to make an appearance in the EU in Zahn's 1990s triology.  It featured in WEG sourcebooks.

And I for one like how it looks.

33 minutes ago, Icelom said:

I am excited the CIS will be very different.... Why wreck that by giving the unique specialness to the empire?

Give me one good reason the empire needs this?

Not that special--Scum has the IG droids.

And even lumping IG into "droid ships," the TIE/D would give droid ships to 3 of 7 factions.  It hardly wrecks it for the CiS.

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

No, I mean people are sick of the visuals. It being a droid doesn't make it not another mutated TIE.

I like how different is in quotes there because it emphasises that you don't actually mean different, you mean the opposite. 

It's yet another ball cockpit with different shaped solar panel wings. 

Enough is enough. The Aggressor was already bad enough, the TIE Brute we're probably going to be forced to have from Solo is worse. Every time someone suggests adding something else with a TIE prefix I just want to throw something. 

Yeah, I'm with you there.  On the other hand, if you don't like balls and panels, maybe you're collecting the wrong faction??

AND, people are always pissing and moaning about duplicating "design space."  This is 100% new design space for the Empire.

I mean, all things considered, I got about what I expected--the usual SW "no way."

Edited by Darth Meanie

11 minutes ago, Prosk_019 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've always thought it looks badass. I love ships that play around with verticality. Top to bottom wings are cool. 

Just now, Prosk_019 said:

I actually don’t think it’s that bad looking. I don’t think it will win any beauty awards, but it looks alright to me.

In the lore, it has multiple load outs, specializing in cannons or torps and missiles. Combine with that likely a front arc and mobile arc, and medium base size. It has potential to be a gunship unlike anything in the Imperial arsenal to date. The closest is the Gunboat with its two different configurations, but there is enough potential difference to keep them from being too similar. 

There are other ships that can fill the medium base to large base itch, but none quite fulfill the same role as the Blastboat and most fall into the “heavy dropship” archetype rather than a dedicated Starfighter. Also most of the other opinions I have seen brought up are just as or worse good looking as the Blastboat in my opinion. I did find one ship that I thought was better looking, but it is way more obscure than even the Blastboat.

There is other consideration for me such as the ship’s association with characters I like, such as Mara Jade. Admittedly, her recorded interaction with one was after the left the Empire, but at this point I’ll take anything that has a chance for Mara to be on board.

1 minute ago, SabineKey said:

The closest is the Gunboat with its two different configurations, but there is enough potential difference to keep them from being too similar.

Skipray leans more towards cannons than ordinance unlike the Starwing. Kimo + Y wing - bombs and turret + super afterburners = Starwing. Imp B-Wing with better engines = Skipray.

The only TIEs the Empire still needs are the TIE Avenger and TIE Brute. All others are old EU BS, good riddance.

The Empire has no need for stinking droids, we all saw how that went with the Seps.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Skipray leans more towards cannons than ordinance unlike the Starwing. Kimo + Y wing - bombs and turret + super afterburners = Starwing. Imp B-Wing with better engines = Skipray.

I was working off one of the configurations I found in the wookieepedia article. I do think it makes sense for it to be better with cannons, since torps and missiles do have good carriers in the Empire. Maybe a ship or pilot ability to link the cannon slot with the mobile arc?