Sign in to follow this  
BCooper85

How to counter the meta?

At the moment the meta seems to be very heavily skewed towards alpha strikes so I assume that players will start to counter that.

My question is how would you go about that at the moment with the somewhat limited pol of upgrades?

Focus on ships that can either avoid the alpha strikes or survive them.

I don't think anyone can very well survive them right now, except through stacking defense. High-hull-low-agility ships melt pretty easily.

Avoiding shots at you is going to be the most effective method. Speed, arc-dodging, token stacking, removing opponent's abilities to shoot through things like quadrijet tractor action.

Proton torpedoes got you down? I've been flying

• Biggs
  • Magva Yarro
  • Saw (with Selfless)
  • Blade Sqdn B-Wing (with Selfless)

Spread those crits around. Prevent massive re-rolls on the wiffs. Punish them for hurting you.

1-straight to victory!

Don't actually 1-straight to victory - medium bases are not fully compatible with small base speeds. LagJanson does not endorse this package as a tournament tier list and accepts no responsibility for failure to achieve reported results. Any resemblance to current meta lists is not intentional and purely coincidental.

8 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

Thanks for the replies so far guy, I'm a rebel player myself but it was more of a general question as I assume that's what we'll be seeing rise up.

Yeah, outside of list counters to alpha, you're limited to tactics.

• Use the rocks, make your opponent go through them and break up formation preventing massive alphas
  • Range control, be just outside of range 3, and punch it to range 1 to prevent torp fires.

8 minutes ago, BCooper85 said:

Thanks for the replies so far guy, I'm a rebel player myself but it was more of a general question as I assume that's what we'll be seeing rise up.

Good luck.  Rebel ships tend to be slow, predictable, and sport mediocre defenses.  I'm not sure how they can viably avoid alpha-strikes, and they certainly can't absorb them without paying far too much HP in the exchange.

Best option is maybe to try your own Alpha Strike list, something like Wedge + Swarm + Torps + wingmen with Torps and/or Roarke.  At least this way, you can try and alpha strike them first.  That said, given the relatively ho-hum maneuverability of Rebel jousters, the Imperil and Scum counters being brought to bear against Alpha Strikers is likely to be devastatingly effective against you.

things you can do:

get in range 1 to deny the range 2-3 missiles. Not really advisable against x wings as you’re still going to get a 4 dice attack. Advisable against y-wings and other 2 attack ships.

fly gud. Fly higher initiative ships that can avoid arcs, or have 4/5 ship lists. Make your opponent have to split his fire to survive alpha strikes.

fly tanks rebel ships that can take it on the chin. Or fly ships and crew that deny rerolls or have other debuffs.

fly an alpha strike list of your own.

run away and drop bombs everywhere. Use obstacles to your advantage.

and if all else fails cry fake news when he hits you with 4/5 hits every time. Take your ships and go home.