Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bhelliom

Luke's balance wishlist

Recommended Posts

Great points, Rebellionworks!

The best solutions are usually the simplest.

I suspect they've learned something from how they've worded current cards, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the small tweaks proposed (Ravos' wound pre-Insatiable, Scuttling to Exhaust) didn't make it into the next fact.  And I was just thinking about this right now, but looking at how Faolan's card and upgrade figures are worded, I wouldn't be surprised if Aggressive Shrieker (all aggressives probably, just for consistency's sake) are reworded to apply only to the first movement.

 

Beyond that, I think the game is small enough that if a small group of players want to run their own houserules for their own events to keep the players in their community, I'm all for granting people have fun in whatever way they deem best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

I can answer this easily from my experience as both a TO and a store owner.

 

New player walks in, his box of cool plastic dudes in his hand. They're super excited to play in their first event! They hand over their list, built out of what they can scrape up for the event.

You hand it back, and begrudgingly tell them it's illegal, it's over on points. That player protests, pulls out the cards that came in his box, and shows you the math on why it's legal. You then have to inform him of a PDF that he had 0 knowledge of that changes the cost of a slew of cards, something he had no way of reasonably having knowledge of being so new to the game. He walks out, and you never see him again. That same box pops up on Facebook for sale a week later. "Game was fun, but couldn't play in the event"

 

It's happened before. Jumpmasters losing slots caused me to turn a player away because of an illegal list he had no knowledge from the FAQ. It's a sad truth, it would take 1-2 years to get new cards with the adjusted points cost out into the market, and that doesn't remove all of the previous printings.

 

A website that lists all of the points is a great concept, but actively hurts new player growth as long as there's points printed on cards currently.

Fair point well made. The Jumpmaster is exactly the scenario we wish to avoid. Fortunately because RWMG is so much smaller than XWMG I expect we should avoid the worst excesse of XWMG 1st ed bloat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

I can answer this easily from my experience as both a TO and a store owner.

 

New player walks in, his box of cool plastic dudes in his hand. They're super excited to play in their first event! They hand over their list, built out of what they can scrape up for the event.

You hand it back, and begrudgingly tell them it's illegal, it's over on points. That player protests, pulls out the cards that came in his box, and shows you the math on why it's legal. You then have to inform him of a PDF that he had 0 knowledge of that changes the cost of a slew of cards, something he had no way of reasonably having knowledge of being so new to the game. He walks out, and you never see him again. That same box pops up on Facebook for sale a week later. "Game was fun, but couldn't play in the event"

 

It's happened before. Jumpmasters losing slots caused me to turn a player away because of an illegal list he had no knowledge from the FAQ. It's a sad truth, it would take 1-2 years to get new cards with the adjusted points cost out into the market, and that doesn't remove all of the previous printings.

 

A website that lists all of the points is a great concept, but actively hurts new player growth as long as there's points printed on cards currently.

This is something I genuinely had not considered. Thank you for that piece of perspective. It definitely makes me think differently about how to handle balance.

So in the absence of points changes, I think just removing the reroll on panic for Spined Threshers is a good start. It would be easy to errata out and make a powerful unit less reliable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, QuickWhit said:

This is something I genuinely had not considered. Thank you for that piece of perspective. It definitely makes me think differently about how to handle balance.

So in the absence of points changes, I think just removing the reroll on panic for Spined Threshers is a good start. It would be easy to errata out and make a powerful unit less reliable.

The fact that they get the re-roll even if flanked is just plain stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

The fact that they get the re-roll even if flanked is just plain stupid.

Their Brutal is also pretty handy when they are being flanked as well. And with scuttling horror on top of that, they just might be at top efficiency when fighting flanked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Runewars 2.0. Run it on an app with no points on the cards themselves. Seems to work well for Xwing. Now we just have to wait a few years for the new edition >.<

Does it work well, though? I'm not so sure. I mean, it's not bad, but we haven't even had our first points adjustment yet, so I'm hesitant to say that it's good. There are some elements in X-wing that seem out of hand, and if they escape the points adjustment period in January, then it may shake my trust in that system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...