Jump to content
mazz0

So what’s exciting around here?

Recommended Posts

The market might well be there for an expansion that brings something genuinely different to Imperial Assault for those who've been playing campaign since release.

I thought some of the scenarios in Lothal were nicely creative, but it's otherwise undeniable that any game risks getting stale after a while. Wouldn't it be nice to fight as ISB operatives fighting against Wookies and Rebel Troopers, for once, instead of rebel heroes against Stormtroopers... again?

Put it this way, what else is in the next expansion box (if they do another one - which I'd guess is unlikely at this point)? A couple of heroes, probably with some weird tokens in a desperate attempt to make them play differently to the dozens of heroes already available. Some non-hero characters of greater or lesser degrees of obscurity - though I'm not sure who'd really be excited to play as Flgghghglrl Wffftrttltlt, the third Ugnaught from the left at the back of a crowd shot in one of the deleted scenes from the Holiday Special. And maybe a Stormtrooper with a slightly different gun. Ooooooh!

Alright, I'm exaggerating. There are still units that could be added to the game that wouldn't necessarily be completely obscure and that a fair number of people might find interesting. But is the market for that really so much larger than an anti-hero campaign, which would provide a genuinely different experience to any campaign that's gone before? I don't see why it should be.

Still, whatever. I currently expect to see no more FFG content for IA. It still feels like at least a figure pack wave of Yoda, 4-LOM / Zuckuss, and Speeder Bikes would "finish it off"; but FFG seem disinclined to do even that, AFAICT. More (big or small) expansion boxes seem extraordinarily unlikely at this point, though I live in hope.

Edited by Bitterman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

The market might well be there for an expansion that brings something genuinely different to Imperial Assault for those who've been playing campaign since release.

I thought some of the scenarios in Lothal were nicely creative, but it's otherwise undeniable that any game risks getting stale after a while. Wouldn't it be nice to fight as ISB operatives fighting against Wookies and Rebel Troopers, for once, instead of rebel heroes against Stormtroopers... again?

Put it this way, what else is in the next expansion box (if they do another one - which I'd guess is unlikely at this point)? A couple of heroes, probably with some weird tokens in a desperate attempt to make them play differently to the dozens of heroes already available. Some characters of greater or lesser degrees of obscurity - though I'm not sure who'd really be excited to play as Flgghghglrl Wffftrttltlt, the third Ugnaught from the left at the back of a crowd shot in one of the deleted scenes from the Holiday Special. And maybe a Stormtrooper with a slightly different gun. Ooooooh!

Alright, I'm exaggerating. There are still units that could be added to the game that wouldn't necessarily be completely obscure and that a fair number of people might find interesting. But is the market for that really so much larger than an anti-hero campaign, which would provide a genuinely different experience to any campaign that's gone before? I don't see why it should be.

Still, whatever. I currently expect to see no more FFG content for IA. It still feels like at least a figure pack wave of Yoda, 4-LOM / Zuckuss, and Speeder Bikes would "finish it off"; but FFG seem disinclined to do even that, AFAICT. More (big or small) expansion boxes seem extraordinarily unlikely at this point, though I live in hope.

I would be really-really excited for an expansion like this.

Speaking of, in case it wouldn't be done, I can imagine creating it as a fan-made campaign mode. I'm thinking of instead of Imperial Heroes, the Imperial Players would choose a class, that would boost a specific type of imperials. For example "Leader", "Trooper", "Droid", "Villain", "Hunter", "Creature", etc. Maybe only the Imperial figures.

Thus at the beginning of each mission, the Imperial Players would pick a group of a base pool of threat, while the Rebel Player would use the existing heroes and allies with a Rebel Class card boosting an aspect. This way we could use the already existing parts of the game (figures, deployment cards, tokens) and with a bunch of custom-made cards make it playable and giving a unique experience.

Well, I'm into trying this as a mini-campaign, after I'm finished with my current project. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bitterman said:

 

Put it this way, what else is in the next expansion box (if they do another one - which I'd guess is unlikely at this point)? A couple of heroes, probably with some weird tokens in a desperate attempt to make them play differently to the dozens of heroes already available. Some characters of greater or lesser degrees of obscurity - though I'm not sure who'd really be excited to play as Flgghghglrl W

I think there's plenty of room for creativity, as long as FFG is willing to think outside the box a little.

 

Shameless plug, but I wrote up a little blurb last month about how I think larger scale space combat could be added. That's one big thing I'd love to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, Tvboy said:

What are you guys talking about, we absolutely have new product coming down the pipeline.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/12/battle-in-the-back-alley/

How are you guys not completely hyped for this?????

Yeah, why not have yet another mat! Despite the one that was released nearly 2 or 3 months ago still not being available anywhere in the UK! 

Why not just stick a disclaimer on the bottom *not available anywhere outside the state we decide to release it in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

Yeah, why not have yet another mat! Despite the one that was released nearly 2 or 3 months ago still not being available anywhere in the UK! 

Why not just stick a disclaimer on the bottom *not available anywhere outside the state we decide to release it in

I hear ya. It's the worst part (and my only annoyance) about this game. The mats need to get out faster...or at all for that matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

Yeah, why not have yet another mat! Despite the one that was released nearly 2 or 3 months ago still not being available anywhere in the UK! 

Why not just stick a disclaimer on the bottom *not available anywhere outside the state we decide to release it in

Lothal Wastes mat released less than a month ago. Most game stores won’t order these unless a customer asks them to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 6:18 AM, Bitterman said:

The market might well be there for an expansion that brings something genuinely different to Imperial Assault for those who've been playing campaign since release.

I thought some of the scenarios in Lothal were nicely creative, but it's otherwise undeniable that any game risks getting stale after a while. Wouldn't it be nice to fight as ISB operatives fighting against Wookies and Rebel Troopers, for once, instead of rebel heroes against Stormtroopers... again?

Put it this way, what else is in the next expansion box (if they do another one - which I'd guess is unlikely at this point)? A couple of heroes, probably with some weird tokens in a desperate attempt to make them play differently to the dozens of heroes already available. Some non-hero characters of greater or lesser degrees of obscurity - though I'm not sure who'd really be excited to play as Flgghghglrl Wffftrttltlt, the third Ugnaught from the left at the back of a crowd shot in one of the deleted scenes from the Holiday Special. And maybe a Stormtrooper with a slightly different gun. Ooooooh!

Alright, I'm exaggerating. There are still units that could be added to the game that wouldn't necessarily be completely obscure and that a fair number of people might find interesting. But is the market for that really so much larger than an anti-hero campaign, which would provide a genuinely different experience to any campaign that's gone before? I don't see why it should be.

Still, whatever. I currently expect to see no more FFG content for IA. It still feels like at least a figure pack wave of Yoda, 4-LOM / Zuckuss, and Speeder Bikes would "finish it off"; but FFG seem disinclined to do even that, AFAICT. More (big or small) expansion boxes seem extraordinarily unlikely at this point, though I live in hope.

There is still room for a Gungan hero.  A Gungan hero in the final Battle of Endor expansion.  It would be interesting to see FFG's rules interpretation for a man portable energy shield.  Maybe something along the line of Personal Shields.  Exhaust this card for +2 Block.  Deplete this card for +5 Block.  Give him extra surges or damage against mechanical units with his atlatl.  Or, have it activate any inactivated droid units that round that can affect your own non-living units as well.  Then have his electropike and the ability to jump to basically do a Nexu pounce.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 3:35 AM, subtrendy2 said:

Shameless plug, but I wrote up a little blurb last month about how I think larger scale space combat could be added. That's one big thing I'd love to see.

yeah i really liked the Tyrants of Lothal Map and Mini map mission.  I Love the idea. that you implimented.  heroes could use their skill checks, to either dodge incoming fire, activate shields or fire some turrets.  

The best place to test this would be inbetween a main mission and side mission, while the heroes are aboard their main ship.  maybe start off with a very simple, ambush by 4 TIES.  the heroes start in the main room and have to 'get to your stations' moment, use their skill checks to fire, fight or maneuver .  Im going to try mock one up for the heart of the empire coming up.  maybe give some credit rewards, or allow them to redraw sIde missions for being successful.

 

*i did try a X wing miniatures side mission for Return to hoth as the heroes were trying to board an imperial Ship.  the heroes just played a small match of xwing, with a simple objective to get the hero shuttle to the other side. 

Edited by Spidey NZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

There is still room for a Gungan hero.  A Gungan hero in the final Battle of Endor expansion.  It would be interesting to see FFG's rules interpretation for a man portable energy shield.  Maybe something along the line of Personal Shields.  Exhaust this card for +2 Block.  Deplete this card for +5 Block.  Give him extra surges or damage against mechanical units with his atlatl.  Or, have it activate any inactivated droid units that round that can affect your own non-living units as well.  Then have his electropike and the ability to jump to basically do a Nexu pounce.  

I would 100% support a mounted gungan similar to the drawback rider.  I’ve always liked the non-comedic gungans.  My first ever prequel merchandise was before TPM even came out, it was a Captain Tarpals cup from KFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Nice, and this would also give us a large Rebel figure!

With hindsight I would of course love if the Darth Jar Jar theory was true and had been carried through, but at the time I remember being really disappointed that Captain Tarpals wasn’t the Prequel’s Chewbacca and instead we got Jar Jar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

I would 100% support a mounted gungan similar to the drawback rider.  I’ve always liked the non-comedic gungans.  My first ever prequel merchandise was before TPM even came out, it was a Captain Tarpals cup from KFC.

I agree.  Jar Jar kind of ruined Gungans.  If they had been taken a little more seriously, and had something other than thrown weapons, they could have been a decent addition to the alien athenaeum of Star Wars.  I would support a Kadu mounted Gungan for a skirmish piece, but I don't think it would be practical to have a hero have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

I agree.  Jar Jar kind of ruined Gungans.  If they had been taken a little more seriously, and had something other than thrown weapons, they could have been a decent addition to the alien athenaeum of Star Wars.  I would support a Kadu mounted Gungan for a skirmish piece, but I don't think it would be practical to have a hero have it.

Probably true, although a outdoors/wilderness/swamp based mini-Campaign would be perfect for it and maybe some sort of speeder, I’m thinking the Dantooine section of KotOR for example.  I’d buy that as a mini box no questions asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Probably true, although a outdoors/wilderness/swamp based mini-Campaign would be perfect for it and maybe some sort of speeder, I’m thinking the Dantooine section of KotOR for example.  I’d buy that as a mini box no questions asked.

It would be quite the project to recreate KOTOR in Imperial Assault.  I think there is what, 9 characters in Revan's crew?  Think about making hero cards and the XP deck for each of them.  It would be good for the app because you could do the Dantooine stuff like you do Jabba's palace.  So maybe an "intro" mission on the Endar Spire, two missions on Taris, and then two mini-missions linked together for each Star Map planet.  A mission to Malek's ship.  A mission to Lehon, and then a two part mission on the Star Forge.  Still, it couldn't do it justice as you wouldn't get all the backstory dialog and HK-47 hilarity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

There is still room for a Gungan hero.  A Gungan hero in the final Battle of Endor expansion.  It would be interesting to see FFG's rules interpretation for a man portable energy shield.  Maybe something along the line of Personal Shields.  Exhaust this card for +2 Block.  Deplete this card for +5 Block.  Give him extra surges or damage against mechanical units with his atlatl.  Or, have it activate any inactivated droid units that round that can affect your own non-living units as well.  Then have his electropike and the ability to jump to basically do a Nexu pounce.  

Give him/her a few xp abilities that happen to be mechanically identical to force choke, tempt, force lightning...

Jokes aside, we've seen a lot more unique gungan tech compared to most other alien species, so there are plenty of things to draw upon. But there are lots of cool hero ideas out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see an Imperial hero vs. Rebel army type campaign.. but we won't ever see that unless it is custom made. The problem is that the enemy pool would be severely limited, basically limited to what is in the core + the box they release. Fighting Wookies and Echo Base Troopers is all good in theory, however those are auxiliary purchases. They could in theory use the Sab and Rebel Trooper tokens from the core though.. but that only gives us two different enemies to fight, plus possibly 2 new ones in the campaign box.. for those of us with everything, it's great. But for the first guy who buys the box and realizes he needs to buy multiple figure packs to make it work, it is horrible 😛 Almost as bad as putting Boba on the box and not having the figure in there :) 

I am pretty sure someone somewhere already made a custom campaign with Imperial heroes though didn't they? On BGG? Or was it un finished?

Edited by FrogTrigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...