12 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

Actually, there is a system...

• 1 Skill Group
  • 3 skills
  • 2 specific technique 
  • 1 technique group of levels 1 to SR

Many of the techniques are similar in effect to 1E/2E/3E school abilities.

Sure, but what's the system behind the Hida Defender (bushi) school curriculum showing kata groups at every rank and the Daidoji Iron Warrior (bushi) curriculum alternating between kata and shuji (Earth and Air resp)?Why does the Kitsu Medium school (Shugenja) have rituals at rank 4 and the Wardmasters Shuji at rank 5 while most pure shugenja curricula have invocations at every rank? Shrine Keeper vs Tattooed Order? Is there any kind of rule behind which elements are associated with techniques at various ranks?

29 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

Sure, but what's the system behind the Hida Defender (bushi) school curriculum showing kata groups at every rank and the Daidoji Iron Warrior (bushi) curriculum alternating between kata and shuji (Earth and Air resp)?Why does the Kitsu Medium school (Shugenja) have rituals at rank 4 and the Wardmasters Shuji at rank 5 while most pure shugenja curricula have invocations at every rank? Shrine Keeper vs Tattooed Order? Is there any kind of rule behind which elements are associated with techniques at various ranks?

Different schools have different priorities? Seems kinda obvious to me. Also if you have kata on you school availability you can learn them any time. So while some schools focus on them if your school doesnt but you have access you can get them still

29 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Different schools have different priorities? Seems kinda obvious to me. Also if you have kata on you school availability you can learn them any time. So while some schools focus on them if your school doesnt but you have access you can get them still

Which is what I said.  School curricula are basically just the devs going "this is what seems appropriate for this school", there's no system behind them. Which in turn means that how effective progressing in a school is is somewhat random.

31 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

Which is what I said.  School curricula are basically just the devs going "this is what seems appropriate for this school", there's no system behind them. Which in turn means that how effective progressing in a school is is somewhat random.

It is not random at all. There is a system behind the choices. I am not a L5R grognard and yet the choices i have seen make sense for the school in question. You the player get to make a choice. Do you want to advance as quick as possible or do you want to focus somewhere else or something in between.

Just like any other narrative game. 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, Suzume Urusai said:

Since the game seems to actively punish players for building their character as they choose or situation demeands. I am planning on letting my player use the worldly ronin school in clan as a way to mitigate inflexible mechanics.

Thoughts?

I don't necessarily agree with your characterization of the game, but I see no real problem with your idea of letting clan samurai use the worldly ronin school. Call it 'footsoldier school' or something and just treat it as a school that's common to all the clans.

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

It is not random at all. There is a system behind the choices. I am not a L5R grognard and yet the choices i have seen make sense for the school in question. You the player get to make a choice. Do you want to advance as quick as possible or do you want to focus somewhere else or something in between.

Just like any other narrative game. 

Yes, the curricula make sense for the schools in question. No, that doesn't mean the choice between advancing fast or picking up more out-of-curriculum goodies is equivalent between schools.

2 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

Yes, the curricula make sense for the schools in question. No, that doesn't mean the choice between advancing fast or picking up more out-of-curriculum goodies is equivalent between schools.

Meaning what? You mean choosing a school is going to push you in a direction? Shocked i say...

15 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

I suspect the OP is having a kneejerk reaction to something they feel is off after reading without actually understanding what is going on. They only see characters who spend XP off curriculum level up slower and think "this is bad." They may not be realizing that the character ranking up faster might not be as good as they think.

Agreed. Something like Black Crusade - where a Khorne character pays about half-price for Khornate advancements and about double for Slaaneshi, the system actively punishes you for going off-archetype and rewards you for doubling down on it.

In L5R, every technique of the same type costs the same, whether it's on your curriculum or not.

Buying 'in school' advancements advances school rank faster, but what that actually does for you is:

1. Increases your school rank for the purposes of what higher rank techniques you can buy
  2. Increases your school rank for the purposes of your school ability (most of which name-check your school rank in some way in their effect)
  3. Gets you closer to your school mastery ability

If you have literally no interest whatsoever in the archetype your school represents (in which case, by all means have your character attend a different school - any family can attend pretty much any school with a good narrative reason, from an interclan marriage to hostage status as a child), then presumably the school ability doesn't matter to you that much, so it's pretty much just access to techniques... and, with titles coming with their own 'curriculum', you can seek to acquire a title which will give you privileged access to whatever technique you're upset you can't currently get.