Sign in to follow this  
Greedo_Sharpshooter

Ramblings of a old X-Wing dinosaur who is stuck between 1.0 and 2.0

A brief history: I have been playing since Wave1. I tend to focus on playing one faction although my preferred faction has changed twice since I started playing. I started as a rebel player (XXXX was my first list, XXBB and Fat Han after that). Then moved to Imperials (Firespray was my favourite ship but I was also a big Lambda Shuttle advocate back before Palpatine was a thing). Now I am a scum player (finally Scum Boba Fett is at full power and scum has just so many options right now).

im not buying any of the new clone wars faction. tbh I am not sure I will even invest any more $ in converting to 2.0. I have put plenty of $ into 1.0 and I'm just not able to bring myself to buy any 2.0 just yet. I havent played a game in 2 years. Not even a casual game. Iv attended store events and regionals and even a national event but now im just not finding the time to get any ships onto the table.

I own...

SCUM: 2x shadowcaster, 3x firespray, 2x Y-wing, 2x Fangfighter, 1x Hwk-290, 1xG1A starfighter,  2x Scurgg bomber, 1x YV-666 light freighter, 3x jumpmaster, 1x starviper, 1x Khiraxz fighter, 2x Aggressor. 

REBEL: 2x YT1300, 5x X-wing, 2x Y-Wing, 4x Z-95, 4x B-wing, 2x Y-wing, 1x Yt-2400, 1x E-wing, 2x K-wing, 2x A-Wing.

IMPERIAL: 8x tie-fighter, 3x tie-intercepter, 3x Tie-advanced, 3x tie-bomber, 3x lambda Shuttle, 1x VT-49 decimator, 1x tie-defender, 2x tie-advanced V1.

FO: 3x Tie-fighter.

Resistance: 1x T65 X-wing.

... stopped buying a few waves ago. started to focus on scum around when Atanni mindlink was popular.

... no interest in playing rebels or FO or Resistance. 

... will have imperials as my backup faction when i want to play something other than scum. Sai with bombers or vader with bombers look fun. imperial aces perhaps. 

... imo scum is the easiest to convert from 1.0 into 2.0. Plenty of options. i might get 2-3 quadjumpers as they are a top filler ship for scum and go nicely into a drea swarm or scum junkyard style list.

... kinda bumbed the jumpmaster got nerfed so hard but i understand why it did. Dengar seems to be the only pilot worth playing and even then hes not what he was in 2.0... i get he needed a points hike but taking away the 360 turret and upping his cost would have been probably enough. The dial just makes u want to play either the scum falcon or firespray instead.

... i wonder what the attrition rate has been like for 1.0 players making the conversion to 2.0? I'm betting we all have a few friends who didn't make it. Im still on the fence myself. Maybe i'll wait a few more waves when stock is cheaper to get. FFG just havent released anything yet for 2.0 that im like 'I have to own that!'.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I’ve seen a minor downturn, but we’ve got a good group forming around 2.0 in my area.

I get what you’re saying about all the factions and what not. I may not be ready to buy into the new ones myself either — I’ve got all the old stuff for the big 3 factions, and I’m prepped to pull the trigger on the First Order conversion kit.

Id say start with one conversion kit and play one faction a bit until you see how you feel.

Feel you on many counts bomber. I too rarely if ever play but through 1.0, even when disgusted by some of the rules, I wanted to play. In 2.0, after converting 1 kit for each faction I still don’t play but the biggest thing is I don’t really want to. I find myself spending money on other games and not looking forward to or planning to buy anything else. Not selling my stuff or rage quitting but I don’t even have the sense I should use what I have. Maybe my mind will change but I definately lost that lovin feeling for x wing. Still makes a nice glass case filler in the man cave.

Edited by LordFajubi

to convert my scum ill need to buy...

• 2.0 starter box
  • S&V conversion kit
  • Lando's Falcon (need me that Han gunner card)
  • Moldy Crow title (find a rebel player who has a spare or someone who is selling a rebel conversion kit for cheap)... low priority as I can play around not having the title or proxy it/borrow it for tournament play
  • probably need an imperial conversion kit after that (sai, vader and barrage rockets)... this is low priority

20 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

to convert my scum ill need to buy...

• 2.0 starter box
  • S&V conversion kit
  • Lando's Falcon (need me that Han gunner card)
  • Moldy Crow title (find a rebel player who has a spare or someone who is selling a rebel conversion kit for cheap)... low priority as I can play around not having the title or proxy it/borrow it for tournament play
  • probably need an imperial conversion kit after that (sai, vader and barrage rockets)... this is low priority

In fairness, you probably can eBay a damage deck and this skip the 2.0 starter box. Especially if you have access to templates with the needed marking on them (or borrow your opponents when barrel rolling).

you may be able to eBay the moldy crow as well.

Only buy the starter box if you intend on flying Imps as well.

I'm staying put.  I'm still just having too much fun with 1.0 to care, so there is no point in shoveling more money into the game simply to reboot.  I grabbed a 2.0 Fang for the repaint and a Y-Wing for the resculpt, but then I'm just going to toss the cardboard and use them in 1.0.  I'll do the same for Lando's Falcon, but it's currently out-of-stock because I didn't buy it the day it dropped--a first since 2013.

Last night I put my Reaper on a medium stand because I could, and used the new dial, but the game was 1.0.  Didn't seem to make a bit of difference.  So yeah, stuck between 1.0 and 2.0 feels about right.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I've seen a surge of old players come back with 2.0. People are excited for the game again. Our local community has gained traction again and getting game nights of 10+ is no longer a pipe dream. 

This sounds more like you don't wanna play the game any more. Which is fine, I think I've hit that level for Destiny. So I get it. But I don't think 2.0 has had a negative effect on the player base at all. Quite the opposite.

Bigs: Right now it seems like too much of a financial investment to keep playing at events. I might change my mind given some time, probably wise to wait off a bit at least until the first points adjustment. I dont own any quadjumpers yet and i think they could be one of the casualties of a cost increase soon so im a little gun shy about investing in multiples of them until the costings are known. 

For me personally I am weighing up the cost versus how much I am actually going to be playing the game. You make time for the things in life you enjoy doing and for me x-wing hasnt been a big priority for some time (life tends to get in the way of hobbies sometimes). I have the money but not he time to justify the expense. Where I live is quite a small area with limited numbers of players (but this was also the case with 1.0) so finding someone i can play against regularly is an issue.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

2.0 is so fu**ing amazing!! Way better than 1.0 and I was a big skeptic beforehand.. FFG has done this 95% right. 

X-wing 2.0 community is SURGING like crazy at my FLGS at the moment, we had a big 1.0 community with top players traviling to and competing in major tournaments all over the world (and winning), but NOW ****.. we are pushing the 40k players out of alls the rooms...no tables boys

At our "club", we were quite skeptical at first. But we made the step to 2.0 with the prerelease and even had our first tourney on release day. 

Not all of us have converted each faction (I have only converted scum). But we are in agreement that this edition is absolutely fun and feels very good. 

I don't even bother that there are not many new ships to be expected for scum, because the possibilities are plenty, combinations for years. 

My advice would be to take it slow, get a (promo) damage deck, eyeball those new lines on the templates and skip the starter first. Skip the falcon, han can be proxied (the escape craft is the gem.... later) as well as moldy crow. Get in some games and see how it goes

I love most of the changes for 2.0. Some if the new point costs and upgrade slots (or lack thereof) bother me but those can and will be errated at some point in the near future.

That being said I feel you on the cost to convert. I don't think the cost would bother me so much except that some of the design elements of the conversion kits felt cash grabby to me. Not including enough ship base tokens or dials to run the advertised models converted was lame as well as not including some cross faction cards in each of the appropriate faction con kits. I would have rather paid and extra 5 bucks to get those things in the kit rather than being left with the option to buy a second kit or try and find someone to trade with.

Honestly I just made copies of the content I needed. It isn't tournament legal but in casual play it has not been an issue. I'm upfront about it and as I supply many of the models in my okay group anyhow, no one has complained yet.

I think if they had implemented the kits in a more player friendly way, or at least been a bit more genuine about what was actually playable with each kit there would be fewer complaints. I also think that FFG's history of being more player friendly before the take over/merger was more in line with what people expected rather than what they received. Since the con kits I have adjusted my expectations accordingly for future purchases. I'm not saying that the current FFG is bad when it comes to player friendliness, but I feel that it is lower than it was. 

Just my thoughts though.

10 hours ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

But I don't think 2.0 has had a negative effect on the player base at all. Quite the opposite.

Depends on what kinda of player you are.  Like 2-point standard play with no upgrades?  Yeah, you're in heaven.

Like Epic or did a lot of DIY inventing for 1.0??  You got the shaft.

10 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

For me personally I am weighing up the cost versus how much I am actually going to be playing the game. You make time for the things in life you enjoy doing and for me x-wing hasnt been a big priority for some time (life tends to get in the way of hobbies sometimes). I have the money but not he time to justify the expense. Where I live is quite a small area with limited numbers of players (but this was also the case with 1.0) so finding someone i can play against regularly is an issue.

100% this for me.  I play all 3 factions, so a $200 bare minimum for conversion to play once a month is not worth it.  I also don't like that the game feels like it got smaller, rather than larger (less upgrades, less options, less pilots].

Honestly, since I still like the game, I think my best option is to "not convert but continue."  With Republic and CiS next wave, I can start with 2.0 fresh with no retro-cost save a Core Set.  I might convert FO and Resistance because the kits are half as much, and the final movie and Resistance cartoon will add 2.0-only material to those factions.  But my Empire and Rebels will live on as 1.0 only.

2 hours ago, Monkeyshine77 said:

Since the con kits I have adjusted my expectations accordingly for future purchases.

Nice double-entendre. ;)

I have yet to make the jump to 2.0 and I play every week. At my FLGS we used to have between 12-20+ people every Wednesday night and I feel like that has really fallen off after 2.0.  I notice there are now like only like 6 or 8 guys there post 2.0.  Of those most are 1.0 players who converted and only 1 guy is new post 2.0.  And 2 of the 8 or so are always me and my friend who also hasn't converted either.  He doesn't plan to at all and I'm on the fence.  I did buy the Lando Falcon, but that had more to do with my total enjoyment of Solo(Donald Glover killed it as Lando) than anything to do with 2.0. I wish there was an official backwards conversion kit to get 2.0 ships usable in 1.0. And by that I mean a free PDF.  I think the main reason I haven't converted to 2.0 is just the money. It's not that I don't have the money, it's more that I feel annoyed at buying stuff I already own just for cardboard and cards. It's a real conundrum. Especially since the Clone Wars stuff looks awesome and is only available in 2.0.  What to do?

11 minutes ago, Monkeyshine77 said:

You could always do what Darth Meanie suggested by keeping your existing collection 1.0 and playing 2.0 with the new factions.

yeah i could, and i think thats a good option for many except im a scum player and actully like what 2.0 scum options are. ill have to bite the bullet and buy a starter set and scum conversion kit and lando falcon. think ill try and get a spare moldy crow title somewhere. i could even trade some of my unused ships to get what i need ;) happy to part with most of my rebels collection, my 3 epic ships and even some of my imperials stuff to get the scum stuff i need.

1 hour ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

yeah i could, and i think thats a good option for many except im a scum player and actully like what 2.0 scum options are. ill have to bite the bullet and buy a starter set and scum conversion kit and lando falcon. think ill try and get a spare moldy crow title somewhere. i could even trade some of my unused ships to get what i need ;) happy to part with most of my rebels collection, my 3 epic ships and even some of my imperials stuff to get the scum stuff i need.

Well, that could still leave you in a good place.  You must buy a Core set, even if the ships don't get used.  There will be generic stuff in there.  You've got Scum Falcon and the Mining Guild TIE coming up soon.  Then you get the Z-95.  Odds are, you'll get a new ship or two in every wave; so as long as you don't mind the slow creep you'll be fine.

If you can play casual, you have access to every single option with YASB2.0.  So maybe the Conversion Kit isn't needed, unless you have to get it all right out the gate.

If I was a one-faction player, 2.0 wouldn't be that much of a deal.  But, since I dabble, it sucks.

I am excited for the new rules and re-worked mechanics for 2.0.  Seems proper and cleaner.

However, I do feel a little overwhelmed with the cost.  I have converted the 3 main factions, but find myself wondering if I will purchase the FO/Resitsnce and CIS/Republic.  I don’t want there to be an end of this game, but FFG is throwing too much fuel on the fire at one time, in my opinion. 

Step 1

sell any ships that don’t fit in conversion kits.  

Step 2

buy 1 rebel, scum and imperial conversion kit and a damage deck/starter if you want to play imps.

step 3

sell rebel fleet in bundles of 4-6 ships on eBay.

by this point you should have covered the cost of converting with cash left over.

step 4

play games and see what you think.