Ravenhull

Purple Actions

In the Wave 3 preview there are some purple actions, the same shade as force points. The Delta-7s get a purple evade, but don’t come with evade tokens. And there are three upgrades (Palp, Sidious, and one more I’m guessing is a force ability) with purple coordinate. 

The evade I am guessing means you can spend a Force point to get an evade result even on a blank.

The coordinate, I don’t know. Coordinate outside the action window? Longer range? Coordinate 2 ships?

Lots of time for baseless speculation...

swz33_spread.pngswz34_spread.png

I've only seen two possibilities that don't feel gross.

1. You spend a force to do the action. Simple and straightforward. Seems most likely.

2. You can only perform the action if you have an active force token. This makes sense for the Delta-7 because of the ship ability also spending force. There's a realistic scenario where you won't have force left. On top of that, Delta-7 will love Supernatural Reflexes (spend one force to boost or roll before your maneuver, another to do the other action after your maneuver!). That said, it doesn't make much sense considering Palpatine in the ARC-170. There's no conflict with other abilities, so it would basically always be active. I'm pretty sure it's number 1.

1. Requires you to spend a force point.
Plausible, puts limitations on certain abilities. Saves text space on Sheev's already quite verbose looking cards. Means generic Jedi Knights can't use the ship ability and evade and/or modify dice on the same turn, but 2+ force aces can. 

2. Requires you to spend a force point, but doesn't use your action.
Extreme action efficiency. Delta 7 ship ability, then free evade, then another action. Roll, Evade, and Focus or Lock all in one turn, on any 2+ force pilot? Maybe.

3. Refreshes a force point.
Different kind of efficiency. Would mean Jedi Knights can spend to boost/roll, Evade and recover, and then a force point to spend as a mod. Doesn't really synergize with the Brilliant Evasion, which seems designed for Delta 7s, and doesn't do anything for Sheev on an Arc or whatever.

4. Something else
Bypass stress? Doesn't cost you anything, but can only be performed if you have at least one active force charge? Chains to nearby friendly pilots, like a form of battle meditation? Grants you an extra force token for the rest of the turn? No intrinsic effect but is referenced by certain upgrade cards, akin to bullseye arcs?

8 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

I've only seen two possibilities that don't feel gross.

1. You spend a force to do the action. Simple and straightforward. Seems most likely.

2. You can only perform the action if you have an active force token. This makes sense for the Delta-7 because of the ship ability also spending force. There's a realistic scenario where you won't have force left. On top of that, Delta-7 will love Supernatural Reflexes (spend one force to boost or roll before your maneuver, another to do the other action after your maneuver!). That said, it doesn't make much sense considering Palpatine in the ARC-170. There's no conflict with other abilities, so it would basically always be active. I'm pretty sure it's number 1.

#2 was my first thought, but the lack of evade tokens in the Delta-7 spread makes me think it’s an instant use thing.

14 minutes ago, svelok said:

1. Requires you to spend a force point.
Plausible, puts limitations on certain abilities. Saves text space on Sheev's already quite verbose looking cards. Means generic Jedi Knights can't use the ship ability and evade and/or modify dice on the same turn, but 2+ force aces can. 

2. Requires you to spend a force point, but doesn't use your action.
Extreme action efficiency. Delta 7 ship ability, then free evade, then another action. Roll, Evade, and Focus or Lock all in one turn, on any 2+ force pilot? Maybe.

Different kind of efficiency. Would mean Jedi Knights can spend to boost/roll, Evade and recover, and then a force point to spend as a mod. Doesn't really synergize with the Brilliant Evasion, which seems designed for Delta 7s, and doesn't do anything for Sheev on an Arc or whatever.

4. Something else
Bypass stress? Doesn't cost you anything, but can only be performed if you have at least one active force charge? Chains to nearby friendly pilots, like a form of battle meditation? Grants you an extra force token for the rest of the turn? No intrinsic effect but is referenced by certain upgrade cards, akin to bullseye arcs?

1 seems most likely.

2: I'm not sure how this would work - there's no phase to do them, they're on your bar, so there would have to be some serious new rules for this.

3: Highly unlikely, they'd be absolutely useless on 1-force pilots, and the 1-force generic Jedi have them.

4: I could see them going through stress, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

The Delta 7s already have that with boost and barrel roll.

Ah, yeah. Didn't read the fine print on the special ship ability there. Could just be you have to spend a force point then to evade. This seems weak for a single force point pilot, but it might be great for a multi-force point pilot.

Almost certainly going to be "spend a FORCUS to perform the action"

In ALL OTHER RESPECTS it'll be a white action

This'll let you token stack on forcus + evade without being stupid (ie, you actually have to perform the action to get the benefit, so if you **** up your action step you actually pay for it)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I agree fickle and others. It is almost certainly going to be a white action that you are going to have the option of preforming as a free action by spending a Force token. It fits the theme and feel of the Aethersprite and the other places we have seen it. It will be the Aethersprite's version of a linked action.

It's also probably safe to say the Aethersprite is going to be the most expensive small 2 atk die front arc only ship in the game.

6 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

It's also probably safe to say the Aethersprite is going to be the most expensive small 2 atk die front arc only ship in the game.

I completely agree.

Delta 7B Configuration Card is very intriguing though. It'll turn the stat line to 3/2/3/3

Edited by Cgriffith

11 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

I agree fickle and others. It is almost certainly going to be a white action that you are going to have the option of preforming as a free action by spending a Force token. It fits the theme and feel of the Aethersprite and the other places we have seen it. It will be the Aethersprite's version of a linked action.

The Aethersprite has the ability to Boost or Barrel Roll after full execution of a maneuver for the cost of 1 force. We'll see, but I think a purple action will likely allow it's performance regardless of the pilot being stressed for a force token, and as a white action otherwise. Meaning Sheev's/Sideous's could still Coordinate if you spend a Force point even if the ship is stressed, which frankly fits him.

Edited by Hiemfire

4 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The Aethersprite has the ability to Boost or Barrel Roll after full execution of a maneuver for the cost of 1 force. We'll see, but I think a purple action will likely allow it's performance regardless of the pilot being stressed for a force token, and as a white action otherwise. Meaning Sheev's/Sideous's could still Coordinate if you spend a Force point even if the ship is stressed, which frankly fits him.

That's an interesting idea, and I wouldn't be sad to see it. It certainly fits with the theme of the force in general of being less impacted by stress. There have been a few good alternatives suggested actually. I just think it will be the free action option because it follows the KISS mentality.

13 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I completely agree.

Delta 7B Configuration Card is very intriguing though. It'll turn the stat line to 3/2/3/3

Pretty much upgrade your TIE Interceptor to a very maneuverable X-Wing in the form of a configuration card. I would guess the Jedi General is probably going to be mid 40s (Probably 45 or 46) in cost, and the upgrade card being 6 to 10 points in cost. Make so it can't have more than 4 7As, and 3 7Bs.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

3: Highly unlikely, they'd be absolutely useless on 1-force pilots, and the 1-force generic Jedi have them.

It's not useless at all because of cards like sense and supernatural reflexes.

this is in reference to this:

3 hours ago, svelok said:

That would be cool.... but might be way to strong. But really cool I hope its this.

1 hour ago, PhantomFO said:

I'm pretty sure that it will just require you to spend the token in order to perform the action. Force tokens already function like a quasi-Focus, so this would limit the ability to combine Force and Evade for 1.0 Fel-levels of defense.

I actually started a thread addressing this versus the free action option before this one was visible. The short version is that it would make the Evade action highly inefficient on the Aethersprite to the point it would probably never get used. Not to mention that it would be very weird for one of the most maneuverable ships in Star Wars to not be able to preform an Evade action at the white level. Purple is going to be a good thing, the question is just in what way. Here is my in depth answer on this from the other thread:

4 hours ago, GeneralVryth said:

There has been some speculation on whether the purple Evade on the Aethersprite means it can take the Evade action for free at the cost of spending a Force token (or just spend an action normally to do a white Evade), or that it requires spending a Force token to take the Evade action.

I believe the answer is the former (and it will work for all Force actions) and here is the thinking behind it.

First let's assume the latter situation is true, and that the Aethersprite's ship ability is you can preform a free Boost or Barrel Roll action after fully executing a maneuver by spending a Force token (which is what it looks like so far). This means that an Aethersprite trying to be evasive and not be hit could either:

• Spend a Force token and its action to take the Evade action. (Which is worse than a white Evade on one of the most agile ships in Star Wars)
  • Or, it could spend a Force token to Boost/Barrel Roll to try and get out of arc, and take a Focus action which will give it a Focus token that on a 3 agility will provide a larger number of final evade results on average than an Evade token.
  • Or, it could spend a Force token to Boost/Barrel Roll to try and get out of arc, and the other Boost\Barrel Roll action to get it further out of arc.

Now let's assume the former situation is true. The same evasive Aethersprite could do the following:

• Spend a Force token to take a free evade action and take a Focus action. (In effect using a ship specially built for Force users to trade the flexibility of a Force token for the defensive ability of an Evade token)
  • Or, it could spend a Force token to Boost/Barrel Roll to try and get out of arc, and take a Focus action.
  • Or, it could spend a Force token to Boost/Barrel Roll to try and get out of arc, and the other Boost\Barrel Roll action.

Of course there are other options in both scenarios as well, but look how much more balanced the second set of options are in comparison to the first. Also, how much more they fit the feeling of hyper agile ship specifically built for a Force user to take full advantage of their abilities.

Given all of that I think it's very likely a purple action is an action you can take normally, or can take for free at the cost of a Force token. The force user's equivalent of a linked action. This has other implications as well since we can upgrade cards with a purple coordinate action, which will make Jedi pilots good at efficiently giving orders to their co-pilots.

Thoughts?

Edited by GeneralVryth

39 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

I actually started a thread addressing this versus the free action option before this one was visible. The short version is that would make the Evade action highly inefficient on the Aethersprite to the point it would probably never get used. Not to mention that it would be very weird for one of the most maneuverable ships in Star Wars to not be able to preform an Evade action at the white level. Purple is going to be a good thing, the question is just in what way. Here is my in dept answer on this from the other thread:

My vote for most likely situation ^

Spending a force point for a free action isn’t broken on Vader—he still has to be careful to conserve force points for the right moment.

Limiting that free action to an evade, in this case, means you trade off the offensive capability of that one force token to make it doubly effective on defense (changing blanks in addition to eyeballs) In the case of the generic pilot, that’s all it is. Trade offensive mod for defensive mod. On Anakin or another more powerful Jedi, it might also mean giving up that force charge for next turn, since you only get to recharge one per turn.

5 hours ago, Ravenhull said:

The evade I am guessing means you can spend a Force point to get an evade result even on a blank.

That sounds more like a ship ability than an icon on the action bar.  Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it'll be an action.

I also think this means that it won't mess with what the actions do.  Otherwise, they'd give us a new icon instead of just changing the color of one.  Furthermore, it probably means that the color acts the same way on all the actions of that color.  So, spend a Force to do the action even while stressed, I could see working rather well.  Having some kind of super-action that enhances the action in different ways for each one, less so.

5 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

That sounds more like a ship ability than an icon on the action bar.  Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it'll be an action.

I also think this means that it won't mess with what the actions do.  Otherwise, they'd give us a new icon instead of just changing the color of one.  Furthermore, it probably means that the color acts the same way on all the actions of that color.  So, spend a Force to do the action even while stressed, I could see working rather well.  Having some kind of super-action that enhances the action in different ways for each one, less so.

Especially since Palp's/Sidious's added Coordinate action is also purple...

IMO, It makes no sense having to spend a force token to be able to perform the evade action, as that makes it worse than simply having a white evade action. And from the looks of it, purple actions seem like they are going to be some sort of advantage, not a disadvantage.

Besides, from a pure mechanical standpoint, current actions are colored to indicate that something special happens when you perform them, not viceversa.

Edited by Jehan Menasis

12 minutes ago, Jehan Menasis said:

Besides, from a pure mechanical standpoint, current actions are colored to indicate that something special happens when you perform them, not viceversa.

With that thought in mind. Maybe when you prepare said “purple action” you regen a force charge.

15 minutes ago, Jehan Menasis said:

IMO, It makes no sense having to spend a force token to be able to perform the evade action, as that makes it worse than simply having a white evade action. And from the looks of it, purple actions seem like they are going to be some sort of advantage, not a disadvantage.

Yeah, being better than a white makes sense.  Also, both the color and the cards it's on link it to Force users, so either regenerating a Force charge or allowing you to spend a Force as a bonus makes sense to me.