Jump to content
Duciris

What Were the Words!?

Recommended Posts

On 11/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, TechnoGolem said:

I have a feeling the banned deck names really won't be that bad unless you are dealing with a hypersensitive crybaby.

Hasn't the whole liberal society turned into hypersensitive crybabies?

 

Edit: Take a look at who likes this post. Someone is taking this way too serious. This guy went through the trouble of making 4 accounts to spam me

Edit 2: deleted Edit #1

Edited by Raahk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 7:22 PM, Raahk said:

Hasn't the whole liberal society turned into hypersensitive crybabies?

Sadly, all too often true.

A call for civility and compassion has grown into something bloated, warped, and pestilential to thought and free speech all too readily these days.

As with anything, there are reasonable people and there are extremists.

Edited by Deathseed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone posted a deck that had "Farmer of Racism" in the title. 

Which leads me to ask, how the **** did the word "Racism" end up as part of the random name generator in the first place? Seems waaaaaay too risky, even if they have some kind of context editor that would only allow for acceptable usage like "Destroyer of Racism." Why take the chance with such a charged word? Someone at FFG dropped the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, Deathseed said:

Sadly, all too often true.

A call for civility and compassion has grown into something bloated, warped, and pestilential to thought and free speech all too readily these days.

As with anything, there are reasonable people and there are extremists.

Conservatives are just as guilty when it comes to PC language.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pkreynolds said:

Someone posted a deck that had "Farmer of Racism" in the title. 

Which leads me to ask, how the **** did the word "Racism" end up as part of the random name generator in the first place? Seems waaaaaay too risky, even if they have some kind of context editor that would only allow for acceptable usage like "Destroyer of Racism." Why take the chance with such a charged word? Someone at FFG dropped the ball. 

It makes me wonder what else the left in that we are going to see

So they allowed the word "Racism" what about "genocide" or "segregation" etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sabrjay said:

Conservatives are just as guilty when it comes to PC language.

Surely. I don't pick sides. Red, blue, don't care. I just call out irrational people when I see them.

But that's enough about that from me here. I don't come here to debate politics.

Suffice it to say that somebody offended by a randomly named card is someone I'm happy to not game with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, Robin Graves said:

Even if I can't use it in tournaments, I'd liek to have one. As long as it's just dirty and not offensive.

 

Stuff like Biggus Diccus, Naked Praetor, or Bangus, He with the large club, or Banana Lord, knight of the spear.

What’s wrong with Biggus Diccus? I have a very good friend in Rome with that name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:22 AM, Warshawsky said:

I've got one for you that takes the cake

img_20181109_201026770-min (1).jpg

 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, MUTADEDHELIX said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiszUmNJ4SFvwPKVtNfpJ

Found this one online lmao

 

Really? I mean...really? Automatic generator or not, someone designed the generator algorithm and decided what words could go into it.

Like you say, I'm not throwing toys out of pram, but who exactly decided that adding "racism" to the library for a randomly generated title-creator was a good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 4:41 PM, pkreynolds said:

Which leads me to ask, how the **** did the word "Racism" end up as part of the random name generator in the first place? 

It's not uncommon.  What happens is someone creating an algorithm to create random names grabs a whole dictionary of words and adds them as input, and checks that there are no obviously foul words in there, but doesn't check that other terms like racism that are perfectly fine words but oughtn't be used in a game are removed. To have spotted and removed that and similar words takes either a lot of foresight, or, what they did, was to spot check some random decks throughout production (and be receptive to issues being spotted and publicized on social media). It's not as though there is someone at the factory reading the entire name list and playing censor, word by word.

Edited by Keithustus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keithustus said:

It's not uncommon.  What happens is someone creating an algorithm to create random names grabs a whole dictionary of words and adds them as input, and checks that there are no obviously foul words in there, but doesn't check that other terms like racism that are perfectly fine words but oughtn't be used in a game are removed. To have spotted and removed that and similar words takes either a lot of foresight, or, what they did, was to spot check some random decks throughout production. It's not as though there is someone at the factory reading the entire name list and playing censor, word by word.

There's also a lot of word creation going on. The dictionary could've just had "rac" and "ism" as word parts, and smashed them together while nobody was watching. All the other archons with "Doorism" or "Racletter" or whatever in their name were fine, but the combo was bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Risk vs. Reward.

They could have taken the route of only seeding the generator with a curated list of words.  It would have less word-diversity but would have mitigated the risks involved with trying to post-filter the name generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RecklessFable said:

Risk vs. Reward.

They could have taken the route of only seeding the generator with a curated list of words.  It would have less word-diversity but would have mitigated the risks involved with trying to post-filter the name generations.

It would have taken far, far longer to create the list, at the expense of far, far less name diversity for every word they didn't think to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just realised my archon had a funny combination as well. It is not the combination of words but rather the combination of the name with the archon picture that goes with it. My archon is called Bibliothecary "Winner" Rilke. She has 3 arms... only on the left side... and NO HANDS...  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×