Sign in to follow this  
Darth evil

Tie Interceptor and A-wing in a bad spot a for while

Just now, hargleblarg said:

His survivability IS arc dodging. Or always has been. If your game plan was to shove Soontir into your opponent's face, then you were and are playing him wrong.

That was not the case in 1.0. He used to be able to reliably dodge singular attack without too much effort.

Which is something he cannot do anymore in 2.0, and that is vastly limiting how aggressive you can play with him.

I completely understand the designers intent in this case, but there is really no argument that he is now way more squishy, and depending on the arc doding, while in 1.0 he could have fall back to his token stacks and autothrusters / palp auto-evades.

7 minutes ago, baranidlo said:

That was not the case in 1.0. He used to be able to reliably dodge singular attack without too much effort.

Which is something he cannot do anymore in 2.0, and that is vastly limiting how aggressive you can play with him.

I completely understand the designers intent in this case, but there is really no argument that he is now way more squishy, and depending on the arc doding, while in 1.0 he could have fall back to his token stacks and autothrusters / palp auto-evades.

And by the end of 1st he had been bullied out of the meta because token stacking wasn't enough to keep him from popping in the face of overwhelming unavoidable attacks.

Edited by hargleblarg

15 hours ago, Darth evil said:

nothing has changed in their stat line, their cost is pretty much the same, Soontir's ability is worst... oh right the autothrusters. So Alpha's get to double reposition well woop dee doo.

How many Interceptors besides Soontir who is there because of his PS6 are in the top lists........ none. but they got buffed

I have to disagree on his ability being worse. His ability is much better. It opens up his dial, he doesn’t need to stress himself every turn. With Predator he actually deals damage. 

Do you need to fly him well rather rely on triple tokens, thrusters and Palp? Of course you do but you also only pay 52-56 pts for him rather that 70pts plus 58pts of Palp Support to keep him alive. He was barely on the table in 1.0, he is on the table in 2.0. He’s not the best ship, he’s not even the best I6, and I wouldn’t say he is the best bargain either, but he is definitely improved. 

I do feel like the OP was making an assumption that A-Wings and Interceptors wouldn’t get new Pilots in update packs and that is why they will sad for a while. 

I guess I feel like they didn’t want to release a mini conversion kit pack with the rest of wave 3 so they chose two ships they didn’t need to do so for. The Striker is also an obvious early release to create a Scariff format with 3 rebel and 3 imperial ships from that battle. 

As for A-Wings and Interceptors there are ton of canon pilots they could put in there as well as fan favourites like Tycho and Carnor Jax. 

Ahsoka and Hera could and should both be in an A-Wing. Ciena Ree and Nash Windrider are pretty obvious Interceptor inclusions. 

The better question is when we could even expect update pack for these ships. Wave 3 is Feb. Wave 4 would likely be middle of the year and Wave 5 will almost certainly be FO/Resistance focused. 

4 minutes ago, hargleblarg said:

And by the end of 1st he had been bullied out of the meta because token stacking wasn't enough to keep him from popping in the face of overwhelming unavoidable attacks.

They were back on the high horse at the very end of 1.0.

The last 1.0 North American Continental Championships were won by Soontir + 2x Reaper (http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=4607).

Dodging regular attacks or ordnance was never a problem for him in 1.0.

Bombs and automatic damage effects (without dice rolls) was the weak side.

3 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

in my local scene TIE Interceptors are still kicking all kinds of butt while A-Wings have been completely replaced by Z-95s or more upgrades for other ships.

I've seen this exact situation here. Interceptors are competant, while A-Wings have to fight tooth and nail just to get anything for their points. I think two dice ships in general are just kind of in a bad place overall. I don't see them doing much and the ones that are are doing so in spite of their two dice.

2 dice ships are doing fine when they're priced right, just look at TIE fighters... not that I want A-Wing swarms by any means! I don't know what can be done with them to improve them that won't make them stupid under costed or so good that they overshadow X-Wings (seriously, if they had 3 attack, why would you go for an X-Wing that's 10 points more expensive at minimum?) 

2 hours ago, baranidlo said:

Negative.

Soontir in 2.0 is going to get crippled if he gets caught in arcs, even in range 3. And it doesn't matter how many junky 2.0 upgrades you put on him.

He's no match in survavibility to his 1.0 version with Autothrusters and possibility of double focus + evade token stack (and possibly also Palp), who could have completely evaded fully modified ordnance attacks.

I think soontir and interceptors in general just do not mesh with your particular skill set.

I have yet to have 2.0 soontir die.... He is very survivable and actually does damage (I stopped using 1.0 soontir because he did next to no damage).

Because you suck with him does not make him bad.

I am worried a point decrease or buff would make them way overpowered.

Edited by Icelom

2 hours ago, Scopes said:

What do you like best about the Alpha Squaddie?

1. Ps 1 repositioning with a focus is very very strong. 

2. There dial and boost barrel roll options make them the absolute best blockers in the game.

3. They are very cheap for what they do. If there was a PS1 named tie fighter for 34pts that's ability gave it +1 red dice, +bunch of green manouvers + more manouvers + boost + everything autothrusters does. People would be loosing there minds with how overpowered it was.

It's 34pts....not sure what more you people want out of a ship.

3 minutes ago, Icelom said:

I think soontir and interceptors in general just do not mesh with your particular skill set.

I have yet to have 2.0 soontir die.... He is very survivable and actually does damage (I stopped using 1.0 sooner because he did next to no damage).

Because you suck with him does not make him bad.

I am worried a point decrease or buff would make them way overpowered.

???

We were comparing survavibility of 1.0 and 2.0 Soontir, and I was stating objective facts (which is that in 2.0 he's less durable).

Nowhere in my post I said he was bad.

Although he is objectively "worse" than his 1.0 version, and it was clearly designers intention.

Not sure why do you feel the need for personal attacks, but that says a lot about you. Anyways you know nothing about me, or my achievements, so I can just laugh at your pitiful attempt.

I'm quite sure I would have your Soontir for a lunch, as would any good player with good list.

Because that is what Soontir does in 2.0 - he dies.

10 minutes ago, baranidlo said:

???

We were comparing survavibility of 1.0 and 2.0 Soontir, and I was stating objective facts (which is that in 2.0 he's less durable).

Nowhere in my post I said he was bad.

Although he is objectively "worse" than his 1.0 version, and it was clearly designers intention.

Not sure why do you feel the need for personal attacks, but that says a lot about you. Anyways you know nothing about me, or my achievements, so I can just laugh at your pitiful attempt.

I'm quite sure I would have your Soontir for a lunch, as would any good player with good list.

Because that is what Soontir does in 2.0 - he dies.

For me his is more survivable, with the removal of full turrets and crazy attack mods. (he can even still get his focus if he gets blocked) No one having a higher PS then him is an amazing boost to his survivability there are no ships above him, in 1.0 there was 8/10 games.

He is much better on offense. The reason I stopped using him in first is he did next to nothing for offense.

He is much cheaper (with the ptl built).

I am quite sure you would not have him for lunch, or if you did it was because you through the game going after him trying to prove a point.

He is objectively "better" then his 1.0 version. (in so many ways)

Like i said, he does not fit your skill set, oh well that's fine not all ships should do well for all players. I can't make redline work and everyone keeps telling me he is awesome.

Edited by Icelom

5 minutes ago, Icelom said:

For me his is more survivable, with the removal of full turrets and crazy attack mods. (he can even still get his focus if he gets blocked) No one having a higher PS then him is an amazing boost to his survivability there are no ships above him, in 1.0 there was 8/10 games.

He is much better on offense. The reason I stopped using him in first is he did next to nothing for offense.

He is much cheaper (with the ptl built).

I am quite sure you would not have him for lunch, or if you did it was because you through the game going after him trying to prove a point.

He is objectively "better" then his 1.0 version. (in so many ways)

Like i said, he does not fit your skill set, oh well that's fine not all ships should do well for all players. I can't make redline work and everyone keeps telling me he is awesome.

If he was so great in 2.0 he would be placing in top cuts and winning tournaments left and right, which he is not.

Quite on the contrary, every time I see Soontir in streamed game from top tables he goes down in flames.

So maybe you're just not playing against such great players??

Just now, baranidlo said:

If he was so great in 2.0 he would be placing in top cuts and winning tournaments left and right, which he is not.

Quite on the contrary, every time I see Soontir in streamed game from top tables he goes down in flames.

Guess I just suck at the game, you win the argument.

3 minutes ago, baranidlo said:

Soontir literally won the coruscant invitational.

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

another thing that i think hurts both these ships is the half points, if you invest too many points into them then one bad roll could give your opponent an easy 25-30 points for simply doing 2 dmg

Fang fighter is the exact same way...

5 hours ago, hargleblarg said:

His survivability IS arc dodging. It always has been. If your game plan was to shove Soontir into your opponent's face, then you were and are playing him wrong.

But if you acr dodge all the enemy ships (because if you take 1 shot you die) often you don't shoot no one..... so we still have a problem

Soontir is good only 1 vs 1

Is a late game ship.

Unusefull in the early phases

Edited by Manolox

13 minutes ago, Manolox said:

But if you acr dodge all the enemy ships (because if you take 1 shot you die) often you don't shoot no one..... so we still have a problem

Is a late game ship.

You set up your movement so that you can use your repositioning either to disengage if they come at you, in which case you're gaining advantage by leading a significant portion of their list after 52 points of ship, or to engage if they point away from you, taking advantage of that 3 red primary.

22 minutes ago, Manolox said:

Is a late game ship.

Just this past weekend Soontir helped my other 2 ships take out a Firesprays on the first round of combat. Stripped 4 shields with a range 1 shot.