Sign in to follow this  
barabelsftw

Witch of the Wilds Clarification

Got a couple KF decks early. One has 2 Witch of the Wilds. If both are in play do I get to play 2 Untamed card or still just one?

The wording is this:
"During each turn in which Untamed is not your active house, you may play one Untamed card."

I don't know...  If 

8 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

Yeah, if it's straight text, and not tied to a something like a Reap ability, then I agree with @Saibrock. Only once.

I don't know...  If that's the case would 2 Grey Monks only give your other creatures +1 armor?  Or is it the '+1' that makes this different?

2 minutes ago, dperello said:

I don't know...  If 

I don't know...  If that's the case would 2 Grey Monks only give your other creatures +1 armor?  Or is it the '+1' that makes this different?

That + makes all the difference.

I thought one for each card at first.

But if you think about it in terms of fulfilling requirements - once you play one Untamed card you have fulfilled the requirement for both copies of the card.

You could have ten Witch of the Wilds and the requirement would still be filled by playing one Untamed card.

I think...

2 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I thought one for each card at first.

But if you think about it in terms of fulfilling requirements - once you play one Untamed card you have fulfilled the requirement for both copies of the card.

You could have ten Witch of the Wilds and the requirement would still be filled by playing one Untamed card.

I think...

I'm completely torn on this one as well.  Using this same argument you could also say 2 Grey Monks only give your creatures +1 armor because once they have +1 armor both cards have fulfilled their effect.

4 hours ago, Starbane said:

Succubus, Mother, and especially Labwork.

kf01_labwork.png

I assume you aren't talking about this Labwork?

For Succubus and Mother there is a key difference, they have the words 'less' and 'additional' in their text. So if WotW said 'You may play an additional Untamed card each turn', she would work like them.

Saying “additional” would imply that you had other ways to play Untamed cards off house prior to using the ability.

Even with the word additional (or less) you could argue that playing Mother or Succubus twice only modify’s your hand by one either way. I don’t see how their use on either of these cards predicates whether or not WotW can stack or not. Either they all stack or none of them do.

If they were two different cards (say a creature and an artifact) with the exact same ongoing ability this wouldn’t be a discussion.

8 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

kf01_labwork.png

I assume you aren't talking about this Labwork?

For Succubus and Mother there is a key difference, they have the words 'less' and 'additional' in their text. So if WotW said 'You may play an additional Untamed card each turn', she would work like them.

Sorry, I meant Phase Shift.

17 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

I’ve thought about this a little more and still think you could use both via the rule of six.

I agree.  Based on the way Constant Abilities and Rule of Six are worded in the rulebook, I think you could do this more than once up to the number of copies Witch of the Wilds you had in play (up to six as per the Rule of Six).

Pretty sure it's one based on the wording of the card. There is nothing there that suggests once I've played my one card, I can play another.

Edit: I think the thing that sets it apart from other cards is that it very specifically mentions you can play "one card"...there is no "additional", "for each", "extra" or whatever words apply to situations like these, it's just straight up "one card", which doesn't matter if you have two or 15 on the board, it's still just one card allowed and not "one for each".

Edited by Palpster

Each card produces a trigger that allows you to play one untamed card when it isn't the active house. The one card isn't a restriction, it is simply what you do. Therefore, two triggers = two cards played.