Admiral Deathrain

Has anyone even seen a maverick, yet?

I'm a bit curious just how rare mavericks are and if anyone found some in the decks that are already around. Seems like those will be the decks that can potentially be very valuable, while not necessarily being good, which is a good way to create collectability without throwing game balance to the wind.

6 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I'm a bit curious just how rare mavericks are and if anyone found some in the decks that are already around. Seems like those will be the decks that can potentially be very valuable, while not necessarily being good, which is a good way to create collectability without throwing game balance to the wind.

Why would a bad deck be valuable?  Legit question.  This game has no deckbuilding, so there isn't really an advantage to having a binder filled with every available card.  As such, you can eliminate all of the players who collect full sets because they want access to all of the options.  I could see an argument for the very occasional collector who wants at least one of each card just for fun, but I don't think that'll be the norm.

2 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Why would a bad deck be valuable?  Legit question.  This game has no deckbuilding, so there isn't really an advantage to having a binder filled with every available card.  As such, you can eliminate all of the players who collect full sets because they want access to all of the options.  I could see an argument for the very occasional collector who wants at least one of each card just for fun, but I don't think that'll be the norm.

Simply because it is rare. If the game takes of far enough, some people will just want to own these rare things - similar to how X-Wing dice and templates given out at high tier events are somewhat valuable because of how few there are despite not offering any advantage over basic or third party materials.

5 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Simply because it is rare. If the game takes of far enough, some people will just want to own these rare things - similar to how X-Wing dice and templates given out at high tier events are somewhat valuable because of how few there are despite not offering any advantage over basic or third party materials.

Agreed, these decks (with maverick cards) will most certainly be valuable simply because they are rare. I have seen a total of two maverick cards (online) and I have looked a lot so I am assuming they will be very rare. They do not seem to make the decks they are in super powerful but to be fair the mavericks I have seen haven't been crazy good cards (like bait and switch for instance) and so if you do get a maverick that is a really good card like bait and switch, it will likely be super valuable. 

It's weird seeing discussion of rarely about a game where every single deck is unique.  I know it might seem like a deck that contains a maverick will be more rare, but every deck is 1 in 104,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

4 hours ago, dperello said:

It's weird seeing discussion of rarely about a game where every single deck is unique.  I know it might seem like a deck that contains a maverick will be more rare, but every deck is 1 in 104,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Well there will be some decks with certain features (like mavericks, the four horsemen...) that will be desireable just because of how uncommon they are.  Sure every deck is unique, but some decks have elements that make them 'extra-special'.

I think maverick cards were included for the surprise factor and to prevent stale game play.  Like any card game you can memorize the card set list, but mavericks allow you to completely surprise an opponent.  You can't prepare for or play around these (until you know it's in the deck).  But since it's realistically only 1 maybe 2 cards in a deck it'll depend on the value they can bring.

Most are probably worthless, but the right maverick in the right deck could be a thing of legend.  I think that's sort of what they are going for here, creating cool and unique experiences that players will remember and tell stories about.

Edited by CountBlah

On 11/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, Admiral Deathrain said:

It's a card that has taken on a different house, i.e. a Mars Wild Wormhole.

Now that I think of it, would it be possible to have maverick 4 horsemen? That would be kind of ridiculous!

Since you ask, they have shown up twice in decks I've personally seen. One is a rare, and the other three are "specials".

We hypothesize that if you get the rare Horseman, you automatically get the other three in the same deck, and that's what the "special" rarity means.

We could be wrong about that.

I won't go into more details though, as I don't want to step on FFGs toes if they don't want that sort of thing openly discussed yet. That said, interest in the game (even among hardcore CCG and LCG players) seems to be thriving in our local area, so well done FFG.

Edited by Deathseed

On 11/9/2018 at 5:46 AM, KrisWall said:

Why would a bad deck be valuable?  Legit question.

Amanal the Regisacred Gangster - I wouldn't care if the deck was bad.

Perhaps the Deck contains my real name, my friends and I have already agreed to give a deck with some ones name in the title.

There if a OP format where you give your opponent a deck, so here bad is better.

Sometimes playing games is about the journey and not the end result, while I haven't drawn a bad deck myself, I would play the deck if I enjoyed it. Winning is great but losing and laughing so tears are coming out of your eyes is far better at times. A friend and I played a few games last Sunday, at one point I had three bears and a bear flute in play and was taunting him for "poking the bear", he then threw down a board wipe on me and we both laughed for that because of my taunting, then I played a board wipe on him and we just couldn't stop laughing.

On a different note: My first deck was called "The Regisacred of the Gangster's Fortress" I didn't even look at the decks contents, I was liking the name so much. Trubaru is a crazy card, and killing it with relentless whispers more so.

deck3.jpg

43 minutes ago, Amanal said:

Sometimes playing games is about the journey and not the end result, while I haven't drawn a bad deck myself, I would play the deck if I enjoyed it. Winning is great but losing and laughing so tears are coming out of your eyes is far better at times. A friend and I played a few games last Sunday, at one point I had three bears and a bear flute in play and was taunting him for "poking the bear", he then threw down a board wipe on me and we both laughed for that because of my taunting, then I played a board wipe on him and we just couldn't stop laughing.

That's been our experience. Lots of laughs and an already forming stable of running inside jokes about Mars Attacks, BROBNAR the burninators, etc.

And that, neighbors, is a why we play isn't it? Fun and laughs.

A game that can do that is, by my estimation, a good game. And this one, so far, has delivered well.

As for whether or not it will compete, long term, with the local rabid MtG/Yu-Gi-Oh fan-base remains to be seen.

Titanfang the Oracle of Sadness? I...

I'm not gonna pick a fight with someone called that. Ever.

How does a maverick show up on the deck contents card?   I haven't seen an example yet, but I'd assume the card number of that maverick card would be out of the normal range for that house.

Anyone seen an example?

I got a maverick in my starter, "Yemix Bosco-Lawton, Gangleader". No idea if the deck is any good since I've only played one game and that was with one of the static starter decks.

Edited by Lyynark
Spelling

36 minutes ago, Lyynark said:

I go a maverick in my starter, "Yemix Bosco-Lawton, Gangleader". No idea if the deck is any good since I've only played one game and that was with one of the static starter decks.

Funny enough, I, too, got one in my starter set :Dhttps://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/5468e692-bf31-4b56-93d7-bca6ebfe0f7e

Dis Protect the Weak, unfortunately in a deck with Sanctum, so it kind of doesn't feel so special. On the other hand, selfless daemons are kind of funny, and thematically I like the idea that the Dis guys adapted something from Sanctum 'culture'.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:46 AM, KrisWall said:

Why would a bad deck be valuable?  Legit question. 

Adaptive Format, why bring your best deck, when you can play your opponents deck with a few chains? Even better as you will have had some practice and know far better how to win against your deck. You will also have a far better idea as to where to pull out of the bidding war to play the good deck.

For example I give you Urlokast, the King of Innocence there is absolutely no chance of winning if you play against a decent deck, let alone the best your opponent can bring.

52 minutes ago, Amanal said:

Adaptive Format, why bring your best deck, when you can play your opponents deck with a few chains? Even better as you will have had some practice and know far better how to win against your deck. You will also have a far better idea as to where to pull out of the bidding war to play the good deck.

For example I give you Urlokast, the King of Innocence there is absolutely no chance of winning if you play against a decent deck, let alone the best your opponent can bring.

I thought that deck was decent, lots of high power creatures, tons of board control it’s only glaring weakness is one mars creature with a few cards that look for or rely on having one

35 minutes ago, TwitchyBait said:

I thought that deck was decent, lots of high power creatures, tons of board control it’s only glaring weakness is one mars creature with a few cards that look for or rely on having one

The invasion portal artifact is basically: Draw mindwarper. That is simply amazing, that deck should wreck your opponents.