Sign in to follow this  
Tabris2k

A Samurai’s Legacy - Community-created Card

4 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

The Shi-Tien Yen-Wang haven't been made Fortunes yet in this timeline.

3 hours ago, phillos said:

Do we know that or are you just assuming old lore?

Well, unless established, we're to assume the old lore still holds true, and in the old lore, the Moto Death Priests weren't a thing until circa 1159, when the Lords of Death tried to claim the dead Khans soul.

5 hours ago, Mangod said:

Well, unless established, we're to assume the old lore still holds true, and in the old lore, the Moto Death Priests weren't a thing until circa 1159, when the Lords of Death tried to claim the dead Khans soul.

I guess my problem with this statement is why do that?  It's not that important a detail if they wanted to play with the timeline, and they have played with the timeline before.  There's been I think almost no Moto's in the story so far to tell us what's going on with them.  If it's not concrete and we said we wanna make a Death Priest now then I don't see why that couldn't be us helping to shape the story rather than us being a slave to the old lore and it's timeline.  Of course if you'd rather wait five cycles to get a cool concept  (and retread an old story rather than tell a new one) I guess that's your prerogative.  I honestly would rather stuff like that all be history so we can have the cool things that came later now and just move forward from here.

Feels to me like we just made a wall here where there didn't need to be one in the first place.  They are asking us for input potentially here and as someone who cares more about the lore than the mechanics having Death Priests around would actually get me excited to make Unicorn decks :)

Edited by phillos

50 minutes ago, phillos said:

I guess my problem with this statement is why do that?  It's not that important a detail if they wanted to play with the timeline, and they have played with the timeline before.  There's been I think almost no Moto's in the story so far to tell us what's going on with them.  If it's not concrete and we said we wanna make a Death Priest now then I don't see why that couldn't be us helping to shape the story rather than us being a slave to the old lore and it's timeline.  Of course if you'd rather wait five cycles to get a cool concept  (and retread an old story rather than tell a new one) I guess that's your prerogative.  I honestly would rather stuff like that all be history so we can have the cool things that came later now and just move forward from here.

Feels to me like we just made a wall here where there didn't need to be one in the first place.  They are asking us for input potentially here and as someone who cares more about the lore than the mechanics having Death Priests around would actually get me excited to make Unicorn decks :)

While the idea is nice it just becomes one more obvious difference that the rest of the empire can hold against the Unicorn and further show them as outsiders.  I think the idea that the Moto still make offerings to ward them off from time to time is good, and that it is viewed as a quaint superstition fits well but full on worship seems a little much right now.

Edited by Schmoozies

32 minutes ago, phillos said:

I think one of the arguments against it would be that it's a little early in the life of the game to start making new traditions of the rarest of three types of samurai. It shouldn't be widespread enough to give a new theme or subset of the family, so it'd be its own, lonesome, Moto Death Priest.

If its ability then has more in common with an Iuchi, then can it be said to be a 'Death Priest' instead of just 'a Moto who could hear the kami and was trained by the Iuchi"?

And if it is distinct, then one shugenja can't be its own theme. So where do you go from there?

Personally, I loved the Death Priests and the Lords of Death as Fortunes (even though I still think Emma-O got a raw deal from a writer that just didn't like him). But I think for the LCG, it's a little early to start having a big thematic overhaul such as a new shugenja family. They already took a big change with the Kaito.

I mean we know almost nothing about the Moto in the new lore so I don't see how it's a big overhaul (it would just be the status quo) and giving the Unicorn another thing they feel they need to hide from the other clan's make sense considering how secretive they've been so far.  There's this real fear in the Unicorn fiction that questions will lead to more questions.

I'm genuinely surprised at how much opposition this is getting.  It's interesting to me.

Edited by phillos

8 minutes ago, phillos said:

I mean we know almost nothing about the Moto in the new lore so I don't see how it's a big overhaul to anything (it would just be the status quo) and giving the Unicorn another thing they feel they need to hide from the other clan's make sense considering how secretive they've been so far.  There's this real fear in the Unicorn fiction that questions will lead to more questions.

I'm genuinely surprised at how much opposition this is getting.  It's interesting to me.

I'm not saying it would overhaul the lore of the Moto family, but of the current theme in the LCG.

Maybe it's because I'm a much heavier RPG player, and I would absolutely love to see the Death Priests in the RPG, be it a new school or new title, but how would it fit into the Unicorn's current LCG theme? I'd hate to see the community card come out and be a complete dud because it doesn't mesh with what the Clan does.

Off the top of my head I was thinking something that played into the fear angle of the Death Priests like this: during a water combat send a character in this battle home.  That would be movement, which is a Unicorn thing in this version of the card game. 

43 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I'm not saying it would overhaul the lore of the Moto family, but of the current theme in the LCG.

Maybe it's because I'm a much heavier RPG player, and I would absolutely love to see the Death Priests in the RPG, be it a new school or new title, but how would it fit into the Unicorn's current LCG theme? I'd hate to see the community card come out and be a complete dud because it doesn't mesh with what the Clan does.

Synergy is not a be all end all. If it was an assassinate or a bow effect on a stick and it was aggressively costed and had decent stats it would be a strong card all on its own.

I do think the designers are concerned about preserving the faction identities though.  At least that's the feeling I got from interviews with them.  My first idea was to give a Death Priest something like "remove 1 fate from this character and get +1 military for each character in your discard pile".  Something like that which buffs the card based on dead personalities, which was a Death Priest thing.  Also it encouraged Unicorn outnumbering tactics since that would help quickly flood your discard pile with characters.

Though after I thought of it I wondered it that was stepping on Lion's toes too much.  That said Lion and Unicorn already has had a lot of overlap mechanically.

27 minutes ago, phillos said:

I do think the designers are concerned about preserving the faction identities though.  At least that's the feeling I got from interviews with them.  My first idea was to give a Death Priest something like "remove 1 fate from this character and get +1 military for each character in your discard pile".  Something like that which buffs the card based on dead personalities, which was a Death Priest thing.  Also it encouraged Unicorn outnumbering tactics since that would help quickly flood your discard pile with characters.

Though after I thought of it I wondered it that was stepping on Lion's toes too much.  That said Lion and Unicorn already has had a lot of overlap mechanically.

Actually, that gave me an idea. They could create a kharmic foe sort of thing between a Moto Death Priest character and a Kitsu Sodan-Senzo, who are facing off against one another in war.

"I call my ancestors to give strength to the Lion!"

"Nah bro, your ancestors aren't available right now. It's not in the contract."

1 minute ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Actually, that gave me an idea. They could create a kharmic foe sort of thing between a Moto Death Priest character and a Kitsu Sodan-Senzo, who are facing off against one another in war.

"I call my ancestors to give strength to the Lion!"

"Nah bro, your ancestors aren't available right now. It's not in the contract."

Which really is one more reason not to go the Death Priest route right now as it is trampling on the Kitsu ancestor channeling and communing shtick.  Unicorn have their unique magic with Meishido so adding another just serves to weaken the first.

56 minutes ago, phillos said:

What a landslide victory.  I wonder, did the fanbase want something in particular from an Utaku card?

They are indisputably the coolest family in the Unicorn.

Edit to add, instead of double-post: I see about 850 fewer people voted on this than on the first poll.

Edited by Hida Jitenno

51 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

They are indisputably the coolest family in the Unicorn.

Edit to add, instead of double-post: I see about 850 fewer people voted on this than on the first poll.

Clearly from the poll they are the most popular.  I'd argue I always thought Moto were cooler :)

56 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Expect it to continue diminishing...

Now, I have fond notions about the Utaku mounted Infantry, so...

Utaku: "Moto-san, where have you been?"

Moto: "The Horde just finished burning down the last of the Lion's outposts"

Utaku: "Did you remember to vote?"

Moto: "Ah, yes we are on our way now, where is the polling station?"

Utaku: "In the abandoned Lion outpost over......

Both look in the direction of the smouldering ashes of what was once a Lion outpost, then blankly back at each other.

Moto:  "Ummmm....I just remembered I left the oven on in my yurt.  Gottagokbyeeeeee"

Edited by Ishi Tonu

2 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Utaku: "Moto-san, where have you been?"

Moto: "The Horde just finished burning down the last of the Lion's outposts"

Utaku: "Did you remember to vote?"

Moto: "Ah, yes we are on our way now, where is the polling station?"

Utaku: "In the abandoned Lion outpost over......

Both look in the direction of the smouldering ashes of what was once a Lion outpost, then blankly back at each other.

Moto:  "Ummmm....I just remebered I left the oven on in my yurt.  Gottagokbyeeeeee"

I feel  like the Moto wouldn't make an excuse.  However, the Utaku would, so as to ignore the dishonor of the Moto (Its only polite)!

I didn't vote this time, simply because I couldn't decide! I'm pleased with the Utaku outcome, but I would have been equally pleased with any of the other families. Bring on the Battle Maidens!