Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tabris2k

A Samurai’s Legacy - Community-created Card

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Hyperjayman said:

So art is now up. Voted for #3. The tiara/veil thing, Egyptian hair beads and fur lining on the dress(?) seemed the most gaijin ascetically. The rest still seemed to Rokugani for the theme.   

Personally I voted #1 as I liked the piece overall the best.  #3 was a close second but not a fan of the oops my armor/cloths are falling off ascetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still boycotting this (I am not letting them get my  information from google).

 

That being said, the first piece I've always liked.  If that one doesn't get the top spot, I would like to see the forth one get carded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for Fun:

First one is Utaku Sayaka XP, Mario Wibisono's last art for AEG. Never got published, although we had the inexperienced version.

Second is Kikko, a kind or armor. The artist is Matthew Armstrong.

The third art is Utaku Yanai, and the art is from IFS (Imaginary Friend Studio), a studio from Singapore composed of different artists.

Fourth one is Utaku Ji-Yun, art by Drew Baker.

And the last one, I frankly cannot place it. Edit: Artist might be Storn Cook. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

#3 was a close second but not a fan of the oops my armor/cloths are falling off ascetic.

I'm more in the "Ahhh yeah. Work it girl.  Yo, get me some singles, I'm 'bout to make it rain up in this mutha" camp.

I got this "And up on the main stage, let's give it up for Cleopatra" vibe and I'm digging it!

She at least 2 more arms and glowing eyes away from perfection.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#4 looks the best to me.

In fact, she looks so authentically Korean/Japanese that I have to think the artist was using a real life model.

#1 also looks really good and I hope that art is used for a card some day, but it definitely looks more like a commander type-- like a daimyo or someone close to that level. Even has a tiara.

The other three all look way too European to me. To the degree I wouldn't believe they were even half east Asian at all. Did anyone even tell those artists that they are supposed to be making art for a samurai game and not D&D?

Edited by TheHobgoblyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Ehm, I hope for the choice of dynasty or conflict deck card...

Anyway, I really like the 2  and the 3, I will go with the 2

Article says this is the last choice, so I’m afraid not. 

But really, given that choice, 90% of the community would vote for Conflict, if only for being able to splash her. So a no-fun choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

Article says this is the last choice, so I’m afraid not. 

But really, given that choice, 90% of the community would vote for Conflict, if only for being able to splash her. So a no-fun choice. 

Yes... and I wanted a conflict character. And for not splash, you can always give her no influence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Yes... and I wanted a conflict character. And for not splash, you can always give her no influence

So a dynasty card then.

An influence cost of 2 would be detrimental enough for off clan inclusion. You’d only have enough to run two(or three depending on build) copies of this and two(or three depending on build) gaijin unicorn cards. Even with a Support of the Unicorn role it doesn’t make it that much more consistent outside of Unicorn. Which is fine because if another clan wanted to negotiate with gaijin they more than likely would ask a Unicorn clan member to mediate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

#4 looks the best to me.

In fact, she looks so authentically Korean/Japanese that I have to think the artist was using a real life model.

#1 also looks really good and I hope that art is used for a card some day, but it definitely looks more like a commander type-- like a daimyo or someone close to that level. Even has a tiara.

The other three all look way too European to me. To the degree I wouldn't believe they were even half east Asian at all. Did anyone even tell those artists that they are supposed to be making art for a samurai game and not D&D?

I'd personally prefer #1.

Proper armour and a cavalry-length naginata seems more appropriate than the less battle-worthy looking clothing of #4, and even if it looks decorative - it looks acceptably functional at the same time; proper pauldrons & armour closed up around the throat, thicker padding on the leading arm, secondary melee weapon in easy reach. I actually thought #4 looked more like a commander - someone who wouldn't be at the speartip of a charge but would be issuing orders; hence, no heavy armour and sashimono (Is it still a sashimono when it's attached to a saddle rather than a backplate?) banner to advertise "the boss is over here"

I agree wholeheartedly that those two look the best, though, and I'd be happy with either (I also agree that the others don't look nearly so good).

 

#2 - weird features aside - has gone to the warcraft "lets add more layers" school of armour design, rather than understanding multiple layers are supposed to cover gaps in the preceding layers, and frankly looks like she's about to drop that polearm. She appears to be only holding the bloody thing between thumb and forefinger.

#3 - That's not battlefield gear. This is not 40k, where adding big shoulder pads to an evening dress makes it qualify as 'armour'. The end of the sword blade looks distorted, too. Is it supposed to be a katana, a scimitar, or what?

#5 - looks more like a scout, and the posing just looks awkward. I get it's supposed to be 'dynamic' but it just looks like she's accidentally fallen off. Also, the spacing of the arrows in the quiver looks weird. Given that she looks like a cavalry archer, she only looks like she's got about half a dozen shafts anyway, which seems odd.

 

The Utaku are an iconic part of the L5R to me, and I really don't want to see naff artwork. 

A degree of elegance, finesse and attractiveness is one thing, but I really, really don't want to see them done as "D&D female warrior" or "excessively cute & decorative".

All "I'm a Princess on a Unicorn!" jokes aside, the Utaku Shiotome are the elite heavy shock cavalry unit of the Utaku, the Unicorn Clan and the entire Rokugani Empire. They should look impressive.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now is winning 1 for a large margin, 46%. Next one is 3, with 23%. All this with nearly 2000 votes.

So, unless we get more than a thousand new votes, I suppose we can assume 1 has just won. 

And I'm happy about it 😁 I love Mario Wibisono’s art, and knowing this one wasn’t used in the CCG because it was sold, kind of make the card somewhat unique, with a story. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Right now is winning 1 for a large margin, 46%. Next one is 3, with 23%. All this with nearly 2000 votes.

So, unless we get more than a thousand new votes, I suppose we can assume 1 has just won. 

And I'm happy about it 😁 I love Mario Wibisono’s art, and knowing this one wasn’t used in the CCG because it was sold, kind of make the card somewhat unique, with a story. 

Voting is now closed and results were:
screen_shot_2018-12-20_at_95912_am.png

So yeah #1 wins by a landslide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Have they said how this card will be available?  Is it going in Children of the Empire?

I doubt it. All children cards are tested and being printed  

This card still needs testing for skills, glory, cost... before release. 

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Such a boring card. Thought it's ability was supposed to trigger off of non-Unicorn cards as well? 

All the other options included non-unicorn, but the honor option did not. I think they felt that 'honoring' was such a universally useful tool that the trigger needed to be more specific.

Which also should have applied to the Gifts option, but I think everyone pretty much agreed that it was very strong by including non-unicorn. They probably just hadn't reached that conclusion yet.

Who knows, maybe in testing they'll broaden the ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

I doubt it. All children cards are tested and being printed  

This card still needs testing for skills, glory, cost... before release. 

Warriors of the Wind might be possible, but the timing is iffy. Although they may have given us options based on stuff they are playtesting for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×