Andreievitch

Decreasing starting stats - we are all not from the same mould...

10 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Thanks for the response, and I’m serious that  it’s great you have a solid understanding of how your group will use it. I guess my points are more targeted at others reading this thread, thinking it sounds like a good idea but not considering the consequences. 

Your explanation of limiting the spell returned makes sense too. On the topic of min/max there are quite a few species who are really xp limited, Humans for instance at the moment can have a maximum of 120xp, but with this rule they could have 130, which allows them to do this: 4/3/3/2/2/1 making them the (?) best species in the game. 

Then theres Dressellian who could keep the primitive, drop Intellect (easiest to justify) to 1, and be 4/3/1/3/3/1, a stat block never before seen and one most min/max players would absolutely exploit. Overcoming those two ones is a lot easier than getting the 3rd dice on all the skills of the other characteristic; Cool 2, Mechanics or Medicine 2, Charm or Leadership or Negotiation 2. Sure you suck at knowledge skills, but someone in the party won’t.

Again, you won’t have this problem, but someone reading this with a less than cooperative player may. I’m not looking at this from the “I want a character flaw” perspective, which as you pointed out is the right approach, I’m looking at it from the perspective of “how can I get more xp”. If the player is finding justification for this in order to get more xp then really the game will benefi from just letting everyone have some xp after creation to get a few more talents without disrupting the Characteristic balance .

Many species can match 4/3/3/2/2/1, so long as one of the first three values also starts at 3..

Weequay can start with 4/3/1/3/3/1.

7 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Many species can match 4/3/3/2/2/1, so long as one of the first three values also starts at 3..

Weequay can start with 4/3/1/3/3/1.

Yes, true, but typically Humans have a Strain/Wound advantage and they get those two extra skill ranks.

I forgot about weequay, with this system they could be even more lop sided with 4/3/1/4/1/1 or similar. Gain a 1 in either Agility or Willpower to have 2 4’s and a 3, no idea why you would but I only like maths and not actually playing these characters.

The Dressellian is still more flexible, with a lot more choice in where the extra 1 can be.

4 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

I only like maths and not actually playing these characters.

And that is why I don't really see a huge problem with this optional, GM-adjudicated mechanic that is entirely outside of the ruleset as written.