samur002

A Dunwich campaign log question

Hey,

I just completed Extracurricular Activities, and actually killed the Experiment for the first time. The Resolution mentions recording the Experiment was defeated

I can't for the life of me find any other mention of this in the cycle. Is it just for flavour, or am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance!

Did we ever actually find any trace in the story of why there were dangerous alchemical experiments at the Miskatonic? I rather doubt any of the Dunwich sorcerers snuck off to the university and became professors there. 

20 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Did we ever actually find any trace in the story of why there were dangerous alchemical experiments at the Miskatonic? I rather doubt any of the Dunwich sorcerers snuck off to the university and became professors there. 

Well, the sorceres of Dunwich clearly had some mystical influence there, as seen by the other thralls, Sorcery encounters and Wizard of Yog-Sothoth. It may have simply been them causing general chaos in order to cover their abduction of Rice.

I think it's a great how  there's this hidden back story involving the Thralls that we don't really get into.  The Return pack may give us more of the story (we have already seen at least one new Thrall that will be in the set).

5 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Why not? They were able to track down Rice to a speakeasy, and even (if you do his scenario second) abduct him right out from under Peter Clover's nose.

Dangerous alchemical experiments at Miskatonic University are a standard practice. The Alchemy Department  does not need a reason to indulge in such, nor do they have to justify their actions to uppity outsiders, particularly investigators.
If uppity sorcerers from Dunwich want to abscond with professors from other departments, that is a problem those other departments need to deal with. You don't hear the Alchemy Department whining when Herbert West reanimates the dead in one of the Medical Department's labs and they rampage through the Alchemy Department labs; the Linguistics Department can keep their whining to themselves when an Alchemy Department experiment escapes when Warren Rice is getting kidnapped.

I mean its Arkham, MA.

They are doing dangerous alchemical experiments at Miskatonic U.

There is a Hunting Horror running around the museum.

Someone decides to put on a production of the King in Yellow.

Rats are an issue you need to address or they will kill you instead of ignoring them and call an exterminator.

4 hours ago, Jobu said:

I mean its Arkham, MA.

They are doing dangerous alchemical experiments at Miskatonic U.

There is a Hunting Horror running around the museum.

Someone decides to put on a production of the King in Yellow.

Rats are an issue you need to address or they will kill you instead of ignoring them and call an exterminator.

Oh, Man!  La Bella Luna/The Clover Club and their rat problem.  I get that exterminators are expensive when you either have to pay them off or kill them after their done with your illegal speakeasy, but someone please get those rats under control.

Dear Trip Advisor: Whole diner party attacked by rats; proprietor killed; zero stars; would not recommend.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:49 PM, CSerpent said:

I think it's a great how  there's this hidden back story involving the Thralls that we don't really get into.  The Return pack may give us more of the story (we have already seen at least one new Thrall that will be in the set).

I highly doubt that since the last return to expansion added nothing whatsoever storywise

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

I highly doubt that since the last return to expansion added nothing whatsoever storywise

There's a little more lore on some of the new enemies and treacheries (eg Disciple of the Devourer and Umôrdhoth’s Hunger). Plus, the new cultists are now canonical Arkham Files supporting characters: Some of them show up in AH 3e's Umôrdhoth scenario.

Don't expect an entirely separate side quest or anything, but we'll likely get some flavor text that sheds a bit more light on the world.