Kai Kazegami

Source book "Emerald Empire" preview

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

'Compromises your loyalty' in the Scorpion Clan is one of those phrases which is usually followed by a 'snikt!' noise and someone wiping blood off a knife.

You forgot to mention the part where the traitor's soul is bound to a tree for all eternity ;)

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

"Trained to Take Them Alive, their title ability ensures that yoriki can easily trigger the Snaring quality on weapons and stop criminals before they get away."

Well, snaring already lets you immobilize a target, whether you have Coiling Serpent Strike or not, and a lot of 'common criminal' type opponents are already vigilance 2. Coiling Serpent's "** to immobilize" only really matters against Vigilance 3 or more targets.

I'd imagine it'll be 'count their vigilance as one lower'? - That means immobilizing a minion is generally just *, which is good for a Yoriki's 'day job' but a vigilance 4 or better still gives you a benefit for having Coiling Serpent Strike technique.

The -1opp to use snaring is probably what coiling serpent should have been in the first place.

Because if "trained to take them alive" does that, it basically only help vs vigilance 2 compared to CSS.

Vigilance 1 and 3 would be the same cost for both techniques.

So overall, i think CSS as a rank 2, including its other insane good ability, would totally overshadow "trained to keep them alive" which would only give -1 opp on vigilance 2 (weak) targets.

Though, we do need to see the ruling before taking judgement,

And

CSS is completely busted anyway :)

EDIT: In stock on February 28, 2019. 

according to amazon...

Edited by Avatar111

6 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

EDIT: In stock on February 28, 2019. 

according to amazon...

That is the end of the quarter and what amazon defaults to. not a release date. :) Unfortunately the printing and shipping times are all screwed up. cause it use to be you can count on printing taking a certain amount of time and Boat time being 6-8 weeks. and 2 weeks for shipping now...

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

That is the end of the quarter and what amazon defaults to. not a release date. :) Unfortunately the printing and shipping times are all screwed up. cause it use to be you can count on printing taking a certain amount of time and Boat time being 6-8 weeks. and 2 weeks for shipping now...

For all this mathing stuff we need @Absol197to properly predict for us on release date. Just by looking at the book preview, the page ammount will take a good bit of time to print up for sure. Then the boat 6-8 weeks before getting on store shelves. So. its CURRENTLY  at the printer for the last, what, 2 weeks, three weeks ? The last update was 6 November sooooo. If we go average time at the printer for a 250+ pages book....... I'd say 5 weeks at printer, then 6-8 weeks on boat, then 2-3 weeks shipping before release putting it SOMEWHERE in early Feb 2019. I'd say around valentines day

Dont quote me on this, Ghost is still in impound after the Knights of Fate mess up she got blamed for

13 hours ago, Daeglan said:

What? you dont want to read her pillowbook? With all the boring political stuff removed?

I am not one for romance myself, but Kachiko is pretty. If someone mnade art of her or took a cosplay picture of her standing up with weapon in hand and whatever pose one can think of that isnt romantic just battle ready. I need another Asian jediu shot and Kachiko would be perfect for it

Back on topic bujt no not really a fan of romance. I'm more of a fan of combat and some political stuff and also comedic stuff

Now in terms of timeline, according to the core book scene with Kachiko and Hatoru it is currently 1118. The Scorpion Clan Coup was in 1123 and ends with the Clan War in 1125, however the Clan War lasted 4 years to 1129 and ended with the crowning of Emperor Torturi I, who then dies leaving four heirs, which is known as the Four Winds saga/Lotus era

So what we have now is yes, before Scorpion Clan Coup in 1123, as it is currently 1118 in the timeline

12 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

Now in terms of timeline, according to the core book scene with Kachiko and Hatoru it is currently 1118.

That's actually a flashback (they've been close for a long time).  Note that she's talking about proving herself a worthy Heir, and that 'One day, it would fall to Hotaru to wield Shukujo" - she's not Crane Clan champion yet.

Court Games, which is post Doji Satsume's death but prior to the Emerald Tournament where Akodo Toturi becomes his replacement (because that's where Hantei announces it) shows the Imperial Court, and it's announced as:

”Loyal samurai of Rokugan," he said, ”it is my honor and privilege to declare this session of the Imperial Court, on this tenth day of the month of Akodo, in the year 1123 by the Calendar

of lsawa, to be convened.”

So that scene is something like five years ago.

43 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Court Games, which is post Doji Satsume's death but prior to the Emerald Tournament where Akodo Toturi becomes his replacement (because that's where Hantei announces it) shows the Imperial Court, and it's announced as:

”Loyal samurai of Rokugan," he said, ”it is my honor and privilege to declare this session of the Imperial Court, on this tenth day of the month of Akodo, in the year 1123 by the Calendar

of lsawa, to be convened.

Ok, so that scene would have been right on the same year when the SCC occurred in the previous timeline!

So Court Games sets the stage and year, 1123, the same year as the Scorpion Clan Coup to occur. however it isnt stated of WHAT MONTH in my timeline the coup occurs in. only that it starts in 1123 and goes for 2 years and results in the Clan Wars of 1125 which then last 4 years

I guess it makes sense... Wait Court Games is from the Beginner Game right ?

11 minutes ago, Ni Fang said:

So Court Games sets the stage and year, 1123, the same year as the Scorpion Clan Coup to occur. however it isnt stated of WHAT MONTH in my timeline the coup occurs in. only that it starts in 1123 and goes for 2 years and results in the Clan Wars of 1125 which then last 4 years

I guess it makes sense... Wait Court Games is from the Beginner Game right ?

No. It's about halfway through the currently published stories.

I'm not sure we're getting the Scorpion Clan Coup in the same way - although we're heading for something messy involving both the Scorpion Clan and the Imperial Succession, given things dropped in In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion, Heart Of The Garden/Wildcats & Dragons Teeth, Imperial Gifts, and most critically Tiger Stalks His Prey.

Depending on how the events in Tiger Stalks His Prey finally make a public splash, we could end up with anything from an actual Scorpion Clan Coup, to people thinking there's a Scorpion Clan Coup and reacting that way even though there wasn't, to the second most important villain in the old-timeline getting a happy-ever-after and something else being the main driver for the storyline....

26 minutes ago, Franwax said:

Shoju a villain? This is slander!

Well, being perceived by everyone as the nefarious villain is kind of in the Job description.

See the issue between Doji Hotaru and her brother Doji Kunawan; he's wanting to investigate Doji Satsume's death...

....not without cause, according to In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion...

...but the subtext of his argument with his sister is that he's going to go to Otosan Uchi and find out Exactly How The Scorpion Clan Did It.

....Which is an issue, since just this once, they didn't, but the odds of him believing that are somewhere around the odds of believing his father was borderline Kolat...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

15 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

the page ammount will take a good bit of time to print up for sure

Page amount has little impact on the printing lenght :)

It's more about the printer's own planning, the deadline FFG asked for (mostly) and (the Kami forbid) eventual incidents that could delay production.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

but prior to the Emerald Tournament where Akodo Toturi becomes his replacement

Where the heck can I find the Emeral tournament description ?

****, I'm confused about the timeline right now.

23 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

One of the writers said on discord the current story has moved past the old story's coup as far as dates are concerned. So we're in all new territory here folks.

the narrative writing is good so far. can't complain. and I like that it isn't the same story retold but rather different enough to be fun for old timers.

7 hours ago, eScoub said:

I'm confused about the timeline right now.

My understanding is the timeline is more or less 'clean' but we've bounced around in it a bit with recent fiction.

• This year's Haloween Fiction, Small Mercies features the Falcon Clan and is set about 100 years ago
  • RPG Rulebook opening flashback
  • [Time - about 5 years - passes off camera]
    • A tsunami destroys a lot of the farming territories on the crane coast
      • The Phoenix find the Kami increasingly hard to commune with. This is not discussed outside the clan, but may be connected.
    • The Lion Clan, largely led by the Ikoma, start saber-rattling about territorial claims to the (Crane) Osawari Plains near Toshi Ranbo and the (Unicorn) Hisu Mori Moride
      • The Unicorn do a deal with the Lion, sealing a peace treaty with a marriage between a Lion family daimyo and the Unicorn Clan Champion
    • Just before the start of the RPG timeline, Doji Satsume dies
  • RPG adventures
    • The Beginner Box PCs compete in the Topaz Championship, become Emerald Magistrates and investigate Doji Satsume's Death under Agasha Sumiko (Ruby Champion and acting Emerald Champion)
    • The Beta RPG adventure 'A Ronin's Path' occurs at some point here [It's hard to date, but Hida Tonomatsu is still alive. Kanazagan no Oni's army attacking the wall is presumably the artwork at the start of the Mass Battles chapter]
  • LCG starter box fiction
    • Hida Tonomatsu is killed
    • Akodo Arasou is killed in the Lion fiction, and Akodo Toturi becomes lion Champion
    • The Unicorn champion discovers that the Lion Daimyo she's supposed to marry is already married, and will kill herself in protest. Refusing to have the woman's blood on her hands, she breaks the betrothal.
    • Shiba Tsukune becomes Phoenix Champion
  • Fiction as listed in order here

Also note, while much of it is pure decision from the writing staff, much like the AEG days there is some not-insignificant story input from parties in the various LCG events. FFG has said in a few places they want to get RPG players in on this too, but I think it's mostly just limited to how people end up playing their con modules.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:17 PM, Ni Fang said:

I am not one for romance myself, but Kachiko is pretty. If someone mnade art of her or took a cosplay picture of her standing up with weapon in hand and whatever pose one can think of that isnt romantic just battle ready. I need another Asian jediu shot and Kachiko would be perfect for it

Back on topic bujt no not really a fan of romance. I'm more of a fan of combat and some political stuff and also comedic stuff

Given that her and Hotaru's Original Version (Doji Hoturi in Old5R) actually had a kid together, I'm fairly sure Shoju knew then. It's reasonable to assume he knows about it with Hotaru as well.

It's like, Double-RIP Bayushi Dairu.

9 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Also note, while much of it is pure decision from the writing staff, much like the AEG days there is some not-insignificant story input from parties in the various LCG events. FFG has said in a few places they want to get RPG players in on this too, but I think it's mostly just limited to how people end up playing their con modules.

I'd like to think so, but to date the only 'event RPG' hs been 'Wedding at Kyotei Castle' and we've yet to see any participants in the LCG or other fiction.

The RPG being used to dig into the 'behind the scenes' stuff is nice, though; for example only RPG players (or anyone reading the free dlc...) 'know' the truth behind Doji Satsume's death.

I could imagine the'restless spirits at Toshi Ranbo' - mentioned in a fiction but not detailled - might be covered in a similar way, because again it'd be Emerald Magistrates Toturi would have ordered to poke around.

16 hours ago, Ni Fang said:

According to Amazon {the only place I can find it actually} Emerald Empire for 5th Edition L5R is to be 256 pages. I hope we get a timeline, if there is one DO NOT SPOIL ME PLEASE :)

x Well your in luck you get it soonish. 2 weeks. 

On 11/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, Hida Jitenno said:

Given that her and Hotaru's Original Version (Doji Hoturi in Old5R) actually had a kid together, I'm fairly sure Shoju knew then. It's reasonable to assume he knows about it with Hotaru as well.

It's like, Double-RIP Bayushi Dairu.

Bayushi Dairu has been mentioned as Shoju and Kachiko's son.

Also, regarding other things

I think the biggest storyline change so far has to be the fact that there was never any attempt to kill/kidnap the Emperor's wife and children.

There's a module for 1E RPG about the unquiet spirits in Toshi Ranbo.  Given that Kyotei Castle was revisited, so might this.

There's also a module about Toshigoku, which may be relevant to Ujimitsu.