Kehl_Aecea

Need some advice!

Okay, so I MIGHT be coaching a new player into the game later this week (they're an Armada player). I've been playing since wave... whatever wave the Ghost came out in... I'm no pro, but I know how to play. ANYWAY...

How should I start him off? I was thinking of setting him up with an X-Wing and a Y-Wing (with a few basic upgrades and a pilot skill) and I'd fly two naked Academy TIE Fighters just to get the basics of the different actions and round phases before figuring out how he wants to play and which faction to sink his teeth into. I don't want to use anything outside of Wave 1 if I can help it.

1 hour ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Okay, so I MIGHT be coaching a new player into the game later this week (they're an Armada player). I've been playing since wave... whatever wave the Ghost came out in... I'm no pro, but I know how to play. ANYWAY...

How should I start him off? I was thinking of setting him up with an X-Wing and a Y-Wing (with a few basic upgrades and a pilot skill) and I'd fly two naked Academy TIE Fighters just to get the basics of the different actions and round phases before figuring out how he wants to play and which faction to sink his teeth into. I don't want to use anything outside of Wave 1 if I can help it.

I'd think an Armada player could handle a full 200 v 200 game. 

Armada and X-Wing are vastly different systems. I've played both.

Order of activation is different, X-Wing is about maneuver and Armada is about crew orders. X-Wing has defensive dice, Armada doesn't.

I would go with the Quickstart rules and work up from there. If they get it quickly, great, move on from there.

3 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Armada and X-Wing are vastly different systems. I've played both.

Order of activation is different, X-Wing is about maneuver and Armada is about crew orders. X-Wing has defensive dice, Armada doesn't.

Yes, but Armada is a much more complex system. If someone can learn Armada well enough to know what they are doing, learning how to play x-wing should take all of 5 minutes. 

I wouldn't day Armada is more complicated, it just requires a different set of skills. Someone can be great at the spatial awareness required for X-Wing and fail miserably at the 2-3 turn ahead planning required by Armada. Still spatial awareness but a different kind.

If you've read Ender's Game you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, NeonWolf said:

I wouldn't day Armada is more complicated, it just requires a different set of skills. Someone can be great at the spatial awareness required for X-Wing and fail miserably at the 2-3 turn ahead planning required by Armada. Still spatial awareness but a different kind.

There is spatial awareness and there is temporal awareness. Spatial involves what is going on around you, temporal involves what is going to be happening...

47 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Which is relevant for getting GOOD at those games, but not for actually learning the rules.