Pewpewpew BOOM

TIE SF Discussion

At my club three games used fo and all lost! We all had pretty much the same list of quickdraw, backdraft and a tie silencer. The concensus was that tie SF just melted instantly. Another thing to note is that with the SF gunner the low initiative generics are effectively nerfed due to having to rotate that **** turret around. I feel a bit gutted with the first order and kinda wish I didn't buy the expansion pack.

2 hours ago, william1134 said:

At my club three games used fo and all lost! We all had pretty much the same list of quickdraw, backdraft and a tie silencer. The concensus was that tie SF just melted instantly. Another thing to note is that with the SF gunner the low initiative generics are effectively nerfed due to having to rotate that **** turret around. I feel a bit gutted with the first order and kinda wish I didn't buy the expansion pack.

1.0 upgrades allowed for more durable SFs.  In a lot of ways in 2.0, they look like t-65s. When I get the chance I will run QD +3 OSEs or Midnight & QD + 2 OSEs.  I feel they will work better in larger packs. 

I mean, running a squishy squad and then watching it explode and then being surprised...

Now the SF didn't really get that nerfed because all the rotate actions are white and linked to every conceivable action. For what it's worth, it also gained an evade (would be better if we could hux it out more easily--can only get 3 Zetas and a starkiller with hux) 

Granted, I don't think they're great now simply because they don't have a way to make them ridiculous with full mods (ala drea) but their dial is better and they're costed about right (with gunner)

Pewpew is right in comparing them to t-65s. You kinda need a few if you don't want them asploding, or just take the I 6 and abuse the aux arc for arcdodging shenanigans 

Edited by ficklegreendice

White turret rotate is missing the point because you can get bumped and if you are running a low intuitive pilot then you can just get out flown. Something the arc doesn't have a problem with as they are always 3 forward and 2 back.   Honestly I'm not sure the tie SF will do all that well in 2.0. 

8 minutes ago, william1134 said:

White turret rotate is missing the point because you can get bumped and if you are running a low intuitive pilot then you can just get out flown. Something the arc doesn't have a problem with as they are always 3 forward and 2 back.   Honestly I'm not sure the tie SF will do all that well in 2.0. 

It won't, but that's true for a LOT of the current model selection until points are adjusted

18 hours ago, william1134 said:

Your lack of ships disturbs me.  Three ship lists in 2.0 just don’t seem to cut the mustard in our local meta.

Just now, RavenGear said:

Is it worth it to put missiles on the Tie SF? Cluster missiles feels to situational and ion missiles rearly work as intended.

Depends on play style. Since the SF uses it's front arc missiles (Ion, Concussion, Cluster and Homing) out the rear arc if the "turret" is pointed that way it has a fair bit of utility, especially on Low Inits (White Lock to Rotate can enable the low Init to hit an arc dodger depending on how the two ships maneuvered and moved). 

2 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Depends on play style. Since the SF uses it's front arc missiles (Ion, Concussion, Cluster and Homing) out the rear arc if the "turret" is pointed that way it has a fair bit of utility, especially on Low Inits (White Lock to Rotate can enable the low Init to hit an arc dodger depending on how the two ships maneuvered and moved). 

That's true, ignoring range bonuses on defense and shooting three dice out your back is definitely a good thing. Homing missiles might be a good fit since they are a cheap investment in points and generally do 1 damage.

Here's what I keep coming back to with the TIE/sf turret: rotating it is free.  You've got to make a choice, but it's still free with any action.  I think that's good design, and what a lot of folks wanted from 2e: ships which have to make choices, and that these choices on position will matter.

Unlike the TIE Advanced/x1, where your Locks are not free, and can be hard to accomplish for a low-initiative ship, TIE/sf is simply about making a choice.

7 hours ago, william1134 said:

The white turret affords you the ability to fly them rather erratically while still getting in shots.  They look fun to me. 

9 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

I mean, running a squishy squad and then watching it explode and then being surprised...

Now the SF didn't really get that nerfed because all the rotate actions are white and linked to every conceivable action. For what it's worth, it also gained an evade (would be better if we could hux it out more easily--can only get 3 Zetas and a starkiller with hux) 

Granted, I don't think they're great now simply because they don't have a way to make them ridiculous with full mods (ala drea) but their dial is better and they're costed about right (with gunner)

Pewpew is right in comparing them to t-65s. You kinda need a few if you don't want them asploding, or just take the I 6 and abuse the aux arc for arcdodging shenanigans 

This. Before you even field them, on paper they are squishy. Gotta either: A: Be superefficient and low init, or B: use tricks to make it live past it's expiration date. And they likely will die. Juke+fcs Quickdraw is decent enough for me, especially with the miracle of Squad Leader Null. I've heard Quickdraw with elusive and pattern analyzer is better, but I have yet to try it. But like Resistance, First Order are not fans of being on the receiving end of Juke.

And if you want to be hyper-efficient, Heaver is toying with targeting sync +shield upgrade Null and 2 concussion and 2 ion Sf's: no gunner. That's a rather decent amount of beef for four 3 dice missiles, all resistant to hotshot, Palob, jam, blocks, vader crew and what not. And the missiles can shoot out the back...

Just hope there is no Kagi!

Edited by player3010587

1 hour ago, player3010587 said:

And if you want to be hyper-efficient, Heaver is toying with targeting sync +shield upgrade Null and 2 concussion and 2 ion Sf's: no gunner. That's a rather decent amount of beef for four 3 dice missiles, all resistant to hotshot, Palob, jam, blocks, vader crew and what not. And the missiles can shoot out the back...

Question regarding Targeting Sync, does it only work for the TL attack requirement or do you get to reroll too? I'm guessing not but then that raises the question of how to push damage through.

12 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

Question regarding Targeting Sync, does it only work for the TL attack requirement or do you get to reroll too? I'm guessing not but then that raises the question of how to push damage through.

Only the target lock requirement. Can't spend the shared lock anymore, unlike 1.0.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:10 AM, william1134 said:

I feel ya. True purchase of love. I have struggled for several games to get much out of the SF. I'll persevere a bit because I do love the ship but it just feels weak now.

2.0 SF is a different beast than 1.0 SF. Get used to the new role and they're efficient, but not tanks. My experience so far is that SFs with missiles and no gunner paired with a high Init target sync. For missile loadouts I like 1 ion and the rest concussion. 

I've been using 3 SFs (QD, BD, Zeta) with Squad Leader Null. After points the 28th I may move to Null target sync with 4 seats.

Fly them squirrelly. Use the fact you can go fast or slow to range control. Then use the rotate to stay unpredictable. You can go 5F and rotate. You can 3 turn/bank L/R and rotate.

Anyone else have other ways to use them?

4 hours ago, RittsMJ said:

Anyone else have other ways to use them?

I’ve run Null, QD, and 2 Experts with TS+CD+Concussions.  It is super fun because you can choose so many maneuvers and still get shots. I find that Null dropping for I7 to I0 often ends up coming in handy too. 

TS+CD allows those 2 SFs to have a REALLY open dial as they can zip through obstructions then fire rear arc missles through them with +1 red die. 

12 minutes ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

I’ve run Null, QD, and 2 Experts with TS+CD+Concussions.  It is super fun because you can choose so many maneuvers and still get shots. I find that Null dropping for I7 to I0 often ends up coming in handy too. 

TS+CD allows those 2 SFs to have a REALLY open dial as they can zip through obstructions then fire rear arc missles through them with +1 red die. 

I think I'll give this a try. How do you get double mods to take advantage of 4 dice missiles? I like the extra dice, but it'd be way better double modded.

I haven't used them yet, but seems to me that if you're running low-init you can still get a shot backwards if you fly too far. Which is like, super good. Especially considering if you got a coordinated TL earlier- which you maybe should do.

Really honestly I can't see NOT running an Upsilon with Hux. Holy crap guys.

If you've learned how folks are flying Resistance A wings, you'll have noticed how much value they're getting out of the rear arc. THAT is how we need to approach this with the SF.

Use your forward arc on approach, get your locks. Zoom past (we have that lovely 4 & 5 forward!) and launch those missiles out the back.

In my opinion the SF Gunner is too expensive to have on all your ships and probably only worth it on QD.

We don't have light weight frame any more, but we do have Elusive.

Targeting Synch is a great tech. At least one ship should carry it, even an FO, Midnight perhaps?

@william1134 don't fret. We can make this work!

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

If you've learned how folks are flying Resistance A wings, you'll have noticed how much value they're getting out of the rear arc. THAT is how we need to approach this with the SF.

The funny part is, as an A-Wing pilot I generally figured this was a no brainer! I want to graduate to TIE/SFs because they can have that rear arc AND a forward one at any given time. That's powerful..!