Jump to content
TylerTT

If they put out clone wars before Ewoks I flipping quit.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Lyynark said:

I think being forced to have "counterparts" between armies will be detrimental to overall game design. As for including larger elements of aliens in that's pretty much a no-go. While individual aliens have been known to work with the empire the general ideology of the Galactic Empire was one of human superiority. Aliens were at best seen as second class citizens and in the worst case as a ready supply of slave labour. 

IMO, an Ewok unit should have a base size of 5 before any extra minis are added due to their canonical use of swarm tactics.

Since Jawas also do this, and are a morally grey creature that works for personal profit, they could be the 5-mini-base counterpart.

The IRG and the Wookies have a base unit size of 3 before upgrades, so a base size of 5 shouldn't be too out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Ewoks would be a swarm type of unit if they are ever included in Legion, we're in agreement here.

But Jawas at large have (as far as I know) never been known to appear as mercenaries or in some other sort of quasi-militaristic manner. There is really no justification for their inclusion as a regular unit within the Imperial army. Shoehorning them in because the Imperial side must have a swarm counterpart to Ewoks is just plain bad design. I think the developers at FFG are more imaginative than that.

As I said before, complete unit parity between armies will be detrimental to overall game design. It will also remove what makes armies distinct from each other (apart from commanders and operatives). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lyynark said:

Yes, Ewoks would be a swarm type of unit if they are ever included in Legion, we're in agreement here.

But Jawas at large have (as far as I know) never been known to appear as mercenaries or in some other sort of quasi-militaristic manner. There is really no justification for their inclusion as a regular unit within the Imperial army. Shoehorning them in because the Imperial side must have a swarm counterpart to Ewoks is just plain bad design. I think the developers at FFG are more imaginative than that.

As I said before, complete unit parity between armies will be detrimental to overall game design. It will also remove what makes armies distinct from each other (apart from commanders and operatives). 

Jawas live on Tatooine, so their isn't much variety in the scrap they can sell.

I'd guess that, if given the option, they'd go somewhere else and steal stuff from there to sell.

Also, the whole UTINI! thing. I'd place that in the swarm category.

Also I was thinking Spec-Ops units for Ewoks and Jawas, so they wouldn't be "regular units" per say...

Edited by Indy_com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

Jawas live on Tatooine, so their isn't much variety in the scrap they can sell.

I'd guess that, if given the option, they'd go somewhere else and steal stuff from there to sell.

Also, the whole UTINI! thing. I'd place that in the swarm category.

You really want Jawas as an Imperial unit, don't you? But you still haven't provided a reasonable justification as to why they should be included as a unit in the Imperial army. At best the jawas are viewed by the empire as a nuisance that can be ignored. At worst they would be enslaved, and you simply don't arm slaves and put them beside your regulars if you know what's good for you.

"Utinni!" translates to "Wow!" and doesn't really have any bearing on any "swarm" status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lyynark said:

You really want Jawas as an Imperial unit, don't you?

"Utinni!" translates to "Wow!" and doesn't really have any bearing on any "swarm" status.

a) Find me an Imperial aligned species that use weapons and swarm people besides Humans.

b) Utinni_595_ffflogog_whatermark_cc.jpg

Edited by Indy_com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Indy_com said:

It makes sense that the few Wookies who escaped Kashyyyk would throw their lot in with the various Rebel cells they encountered, as they would be sharing a common enemy.

In regards to Ewoks, they would need an Imperial counterpart in some fashion... maybe the Imperials could've hired Jawas. Seems like the enterprising little-guys would be persuaded to fight if they could keep the "loot" they find...

Its simple really, they do a native themed release. Ewoks for Rebels which are swarmy, Gungans for Republic with a heavy weapon upgrade giving it immune ranged pierce, Geonosians for CIS giving them a very mobile unit, and the Imperials get Nohgri since Rukh is canon and they could likley have scout 1, and act as small hunter killers racing in to get in for melee. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Noghri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of Jawas. Only on Tattooine do you walk of the cantina and Find your AT-AT sitting on blocks. On that note Tuskan raiders would be good too. Both would elaborate on that front.

I'm for Ewoks too. They were in the movie after all.

I'm more concerned that the clone wars will overshadow the original trilogy theme and take away from the original game.

Edited by Rigor Mortis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TylerTT said:

I like to think that the rebellion re located the Ewoks after blowing up the deathstar 2. the fallout from that would likely kill all life on the forest moon of Endor.

 

As far as cannon info goes, they did not. A tweet from official Star Wars account stated that the rebels deployed shields and tractor beams in he aftermath of battle to prevent the planet's bombardment by debris. Some of the debris finally formed into an orbital ring around the moon (as stated in Aftermath books).

In Legends there were some discrepancies. A term "Endor Holocaust" was by fandom and was later used as in-universe imperial propaganda, stating that Endor was rendered uninhabitable in lieu of rebel actions. There was a theory also that the explosion created a wormhole that sucked up most of the debris :P, some mention of shields being deployed and I believe some comic books depictions of B-wings being used fighting fire on the surface.

So yeah, even after the battle Ewoks were few and rarely seen in the galaxy. With a notable exception of Wraith Squadron's own. Lt. Kettch :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shanturin said:

As far as cannon info goes, they did not. A tweet from official Star Wars account stated that the rebels deployed shields and tractor beams in he aftermath of battle to prevent the planet's bombardment by debris. Some of the debris finally formed into an orbital ring around the moon (as stated in Aftermath books).

In Legends there were some discrepancies. A term "Endor Holocaust" was by fandom and was later used as in-universe imperial propaganda, stating that Endor was rendered uninhabitable in lieu of rebel actions. There was a theory also that the explosion created a wormhole that sucked up most of the debris :P, some mention of shields being deployed and I believe some comic books depictions of B-wings being used fighting fire on the surface.

So yeah, even after the battle Ewoks were few and rarely seen in the galaxy. With a notable exception of Wraith Squadron's own. Lt. Kettch :D

Yub yub, Commander. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess they would be more valid than some people think. As Battlefront 2 has proven these guys can actually be kind of scary. Some kind of guerrilla tactic rules would be needed for them though. Maybe they could pop out of terrain mid game or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 3:09 AM, TylerTT said:

(OP was a bit hyperbole)

as we learned in the aftermath books the number of free wookiee was incredibly slim and that the new republic in all their wisdom did not even prioritize the freedom of Kashyyyk so the effort to free it was not even an actual "rebel" mission.

if they put Ewok into IA I will forgive this grave oversight.

do you KNOW HOW MANY BOTHANS DIED !?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LennoxPoodle said:

I guess they would be more valid than some people think. As Battlefront 2 has proven these guys can actually be kind of scary. Some kind of guerrilla tactic rules would be needed for them though. Maybe they could pop out of terrain mid game or something.

Just spitballing, I’d give them something similar to the commandos so they can acquire cover at will, maybe some pierce on their melee, perhaps even an anti-Sharpshooter ability. Add ons for laying impact/immobilize traps perhaps, maybe heavies could include bolo slingers with immobilize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most stuff in Star Wars that does not fit into the armies can be brought to the table using condition or objective cards.

a Jawa scavenger group or tusken raiders could provide neutral defense of an objective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 7:33 AM, Gridloc said:

Maybe I don't have the full starwars history, but have there been stories of rebels flying to endor, picking up the primative stick and stone race of ewoks, throwing them on space ships, and dropping them off into the heart of imperial space to fight storm troopers?  I mean wookies world was destroyed and they were a bit more advance so makes sense they would be around in the galaxy.   Outfits aside, all the stuff released would make sense on a variety of planets and part of a rebellion or imperial force...  I just can't see a squad of ewoks being herded and then thrown onto other planets to assist the rebels.

Technically no, but the Legends stuff did have an Ewok Jedi.... so it's not inconceivable a few got off the planet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 3:33 PM, Gridloc said:

Maybe I don't have the full starwars history, but have there been stories of rebels flying to endor, picking up the primative stick and stone race of ewoks, throwing them on space ships, and dropping them off into the heart of imperial space to fight storm troopers?  I mean wookies world was destroyed and they were a bit more advance so makes sense they would be around in the galaxy.   Outfits aside, all the stuff released would make sense on a variety of planets and part of a rebellion or imperial force...  I just can't see a squad of ewoks being herded and then thrown onto other planets to assist the rebels.

1 hour ago, samuraislyr said:

Technically no, but the Legends stuff did have an Ewok Jedi.... so it's not inconceivable a few got off the planet. 

Last Shot has a character who is an Ewok slicer.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Peekpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The window for Ewoks is slowly closing, clones and droids will probably be the next big announcement early next year.

I think focusing on key units and building blocks  which they have done and then bringing it up to 4 factions is just more important from a credible wargame perspective than having a bunch of Ewoks and Jawas.

They may come but they are not essential right now, having 4 factions will help bring more gamers in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...