Qark

Updates to probability calculator and 1.4 FD numbers.

A while back I posted a probability calculator that simulates an attack from start to finish thousands of times to determine the probability of each outcome. It will output the probability of each number of hits, the probability of getting at least a number of hits, the average, the median, the mode, and the standard deviation. As this program is simulating actual dice rolls the exact results will vary each time the simulation in run. Increasing the number of iterations will increase the accuracy of the results but will also require more computational time.

I have just updated it so you can re-roll re-rolls with multiple aim tokens, can use uncanny luck, and impervious. Some testing on the results would be great.

The code is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/andrew-s-hart/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator

or if you don't care about the code and just want to run the exe you can get that here:

https://github.com/andrew-s-hart/SW-Legion-Probability-Calculator/raw/master/LegionCalculator.exe

I am using 64bit windows 10 and haven't tested the program on anything else. I am not a professional programmer and haven't used GitHub before so any suggestions are welcome.

I wanted to know if aim + shoot with no upgrades was a better option with the 1.4 FD than shoot + unexhaust with a generator upgrade.

1.4FD Laser Cannon Team.jpg

Just because it does slightly more damage (I thought it would be more, honestly) doesn't mean that aim + shoot with no upgrades is "better." I think having an order every turn and being able to give extra suppression is worth 20 points and -.3 damage.

Thanks for the probability calculator, I've used the old one on occasion!

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Just because it does slightly more damage (I thought it would be more, honestly) doesn't mean that aim + shoot with no upgrades is "better." I think having an order every turn and being able to give extra suppression is worth 20 points and -.3 damage.

Thanks for the probability calculator, I've used the old one on occasion!

Oh I totally agree. I don't think there are significant differences between those averages. I always thought the generator wouldn't be worth putting on without the HQ Up-link as well to get more benefit out of the refresh. After seeing those numbers I think that's the case so Ill be running them with both slots filled or no slots filled depending on the list.

11 hours ago, Qark said:

Are people finding that naked FDs are working for them or do you feel they need upgrades to function?

This is my problem, it can't move and has poor defense and can be suppressed (not super likely, but possible) if  I upgrade it to 90 pts (HQ uplink is nice) or even at 80pts, I've almost bought an AT-RT with any upgrade I want and which I think is a little more reliable and maneuverable. I feel it almost has to be naked to be worth it.

HQ Uplink + Generator means never having the FD in my command pool.  It also gets to benefit from My Ally is the Force, etc. 

I wouldn't want a whole army of the things, as they just have too many limits.  But I think there is room for a couple in most of my armies.

I thought the HQ uplink was exhaustable so you had to spend an action to renew it.  How do you get it every turn?

Looks like Barrage is better than Overcharge unless you are fighting armor from a pure #hits perspective.

Edited by buckero0

31 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I thought the HQ uplink was exhaustable so you had to spend an action to renew it.  How do you get it every turn?

Looks like Barrage is better than Overcharge unless you are fighting armor from a pure #hits perspective.

Refresh every turn, since barrage generator adds almost as much damage as an aim token.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

Squark already answered your question, but keep in mind that the generators exhaust as well. Equipping both upgrades ensures that you get your money's worth out of a Recover action. I agree with your assessment of the generators, and given that the 1.4fd already has Impact 2, can't really see myself ever using the Overcharged Generator.

2 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Squark already answered your question, but keep in mind that the generators exhaust as well. Equipping both upgrades ensures that you get your money's worth out of a Recover action. I agree with your assessment of the generators, and given that the 1.4fd already has Impact 2, can't really see myself ever using the Overcharged Generator.

Love it. I don't think I would have ever thought to recover every turn, so glad I asked.  I love when math people make things look easy.

43 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I don't think I would have ever thought to recover every turn

It is only really worth doing if the unit doesn't need to use an action to move. So the FD can do it but then you give up the aim (hence the point of the post) and it also works well on the T-47 if you equip HQ uplink because you get the mandatory move so you don't always need to use you action to move. That T-47 build actually works really well against rebels because they don't pack as much impact as imperials and you can do a lot of damage through the white defense dice.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:07 AM, buckero0 said:

This is my problem, it can't move and has poor defense and can be suppressed

Don’t forget tho:

1. FD treats cover like a trooper, so barricades are heavy cover for them.

2. Recharge erases all suppression. So, recharge every turn also means starting with no suppression every turn.

3. FD is treated as a trooper unit for Rapid Reinforcements, which does give it some legs beyond the deployment zone for at least that scenario.