Matt Antilles

Ion Cannon Turrets

3 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Kavil is disgusting with ICT and Han Gunner. Once he gets his teeth into one of your ships its very difficult, especially end game.

This right here. I don't run Kavil with Han and ICT (Just ICT) but he can pretty reliably walk most things off the board once he gets going.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Proton Torpedoes are significantly better on all Rebel Y-Wings.  Scum is a little different, Drea wants a secondary arc to proc ability and Kavil's ability doesn't work with torps, so he's stuck with Ions.

I would rather save the 2 points and give Kavil a Dorsal Turret. Same range and more damage output.

Personally I've been seriously underwhelmed by turrets and cannons in 2.0 so far.

5 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

They are great at consistently dealing 1 damage. They are not so great at consistently dealing any ion tokens though. That has been my experience.

Amen, my experience with ICT and just plain ol ic

Which is fine, honestly, because it turns your crappy 2-dice primary into effectively a 3 die one. And that's good value. Great on Seri and Vynder (cannon, obviously)

Only ship I've found capable of reliable ionization ruthless kestal, and her ICT is more to cover area v aces (main weapon is barrage rockets)

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Not really, 14pts is a lot to get an unmodded shot capped at 1 damage. 

Except it’s two shots, and you might not need to mod one of them.  On an approach with arcs overlaps, 7 dice at range 1 is nothing to sneeze at even if some of them are Ion effects. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Except it’s two shots, and you might not need to mod one of them.  On an approach with arcs overlaps, 7 dice at range 1 is nothing to sneeze at even if some of them are Ion effects. 

For the point cost and how infrequently it will happen, it actually is something to sneeze at.

I like it on Sabine, makes her very hard to dodge with aces, and gives her an opportunity to attack when blocking another target and after missing a block.

Kinda expensive on a 4hp ship tho.

Kinda interseting, though

High agi ships that can avoid ionization tend to care a LOT about 1 damage

But high health ships that don't care about 1 damage are generally easier to ion (relative to other ships in their base size ofc)

Kinda a neat balancing act

Course you got ships that are both high health AND agility...but you don't want something that expensive getting ionied EVER 

Imo, the only bad ion weapon are the missiles...ugh that's a 1/2 point upgrade at most 

My friend put an ICT on Hera recently. Didn't get Ioned but it made me completely avoid range 1/2 of that thing. Made a big difference. Double modded 4 dice Ion is not something you go near with anything, unless youre being extremely cunning.

9 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

They are great at consistently dealing 1 damage. They are not so great at consistently dealing any ion tokens though. That has been my experience.

Yeah the Ion effect has been nerfed in a way. It was better when it dealt both Ion Damage and Regular damage but now you are paying for an effect that really replaces damage which isn't a very good deal in terms of control. Why take an Ion weapon if Ion Damage is not guaranteed on every hit? Besides Ion turrets reduce control because there is no better control then removing the opposing ships.

Edited by Marinealver

I really enjoy the opportunity a well placed Y-Wing with an Ion cannon presents. If you can get it in a reliable range 1-2 of something, you can control where one unit is going to go the entire match. Though I did not quite kill him, my Horton was very good at making my little brother's Vader's day extremely unfun since he had a good 2-3 turns where he couldn't do s**t but fly one forward. That was extremely useful.

I've been flying rebel generic Y-wings with ion turrets and VTG to good effect. I think with the turrets range 1 bonus it would be a great match with Norra's ability. She's probably the rebel pilot that would make the most out an ion cannon turret. 

23 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

Personally I've been seriously underwhelmed by turrets and cannons in 2.0 so far.

Are they bad across the board, or just rather situational?  Given how they were in 1E, I'm perfectly ok with them not being the go-to every single turn.

16 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Why take an Ion weapon if Ion Damage is not guaranteed on every hit?

Because the Ion effect can still be quite powerful when it does hit?  Given its power, it shouldn't be guaranteed to happen every time.

15 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Are they bad across the board, or just rather situational?  Given how they were in 1E, I'm perfectly ok with them not being the go-to every single turn.

Because the Ion effect can still be quite powerful when it does hit?  Given its power, it shouldn't be guaranteed to happen every time.

They aren't bad, per sé, just don't expect to see those ion tokens all that often. Like I said in my first post, ion cannons and turrets (I haven't tried ion ordinance yet) are great at dealing a single point of damage but the ion effect is hard to push through. You get three dice and have to get at least two hit/crit through the targets defence to deal a single ion token. If you are targeting a medium or large based ship they aren't going to care about that single token.

I only play Scum so I can't speak to the other factions.

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Sure but is Ion damage worth a full point of damage? Which is better, the Ion token or the face down damage card. The new ion turret gives you that choice. Add on that you are paying squadron points for what essentially is a nerfed attack and that is what Ion turrets is when. The only benefit it gives to Y-wings is +1 attack die so a better chance to git damage, and a mobile arc attack so you can cover more area. But nothing you can really plan an Ion damage list around. If the Y-wing was 3 firepower, then the opportunity cost of the Ion turret goes up to where it is not worth it.

Biggest perk of the Ion Cannon Turret over the Dorsal Turret is the fact that it rolls 3 dice on the attack, and is more likely to get damage through.  For two points more, that's not bad.  Ion-3 dice are just better than Regular-2.  If you can afford the points, Ion > Dorsal--I believe.

Kavil is a special case... Regular-3 vs Ion-4 dice is a totally different comparison.  Regular-3 can consistently deal damage (4 dice at range 1 is solid), but Ion-4 probably have a decent chance to actually ion stuff, and potentially quite strong in it's own way.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, ficklegreendice said:

Which is fine, honestly, because it turns your crappy 2-dice primary into effectively a 3 die one. And that's good value. Great on Seri and Vynder (cannon, obviously)

Ion Cannon Cartel Spacer (Init 1 M3-A Scyk) is the same price as a TIE Interceptor or TIE Striker, with a better defensive profile (either extra HP or agility), but fewer maneuver options.  There are so many things I want to fly I don't know when I'll get around to it, but still.