Jump to content
LordBubba

Will they make a cloaking mechanic in legion?

Recommended Posts

Not sure I understand, a clock for what? I mean I know competitive matches are timed, but beyond that there is nothing.

Did you mean a timer like in Chess. I’m not a chess player, but I think each side only has so long to complete a move.

This would probably speed up matches, especially for competitions, but I can’t see players being too happy to have to purchase one of those clocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LordBubba said:

 Sorry guys I mean cloaking mechanic,  for very elite units that allows them to use cloaking. Allows them to hide for certain amount of time. Now do you guys understand.? like in XWing.

For future reference, you CAN edit a subject title, should you notice a spelling or grammatical error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LordBubba said:

 Sorry guys I mean cloaking mechanic,  for very elite units that allows them to use cloaking. Allows them to hide for certain amount of time. Now do you guys understand.? like in XWing.

Lol, ok that’s slightly different.

There is one alien race that can cloak in the EU books (legends) and some space vessels from the Clone Wars animated series and EU books, but I haven’t heard of any ground or repulsor vehicles that can do it. I think there was a suit that the Empire had that can be worn in the old Wizards of The Coast RPG as well as Force Powers that let you cloak. But there has been nothing from movies or animated series that is on the Legion scale (a personal cloak), and since Disney has redone what is cannon, it’s anyone’s guess if such a thing will make it to Legion. If or when it does, I would guess it won’t be anytime soon, sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Lol, ok that’s slightly different.

There is one alien race that can cloak in the EU books (legends) and some space vessels from the Clone Wars animated series and EU books, but I haven’t heard of any ground or repulsor vehicles that can do it. I think there was a suit that the Empire had that can be worn in the old Wizards of The Coast RPG as well as Force Powers that let you cloak. But there has been nothing from movies or animated series that is on the Legion scale (a personal cloak), and since Disney has redone what is cannon, it’s anyone’s guess if such a thing will make it to Legion. If or when it does, I would guess it won’t be anytime soon, sorry. 

Rukh, the Noghri that thrawn commands, has a personal cloaking device, so if he shows up, I suspect the cloaking will as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But both those characters were reintroduced into the Rebels animated series, without personal cloaking devices.

So it’s like I said, there is new cannon, so it’s anyone’s guess.

 

Sorry, I was just reminded of the cloak Rukh used in his fight with Sabin. So then it is cannon. I suppose it could show up, but probably rare like you say, on just the one min unit.

Edited by JediPartisan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

But both those characters were reintroduced into the Rebels animated series, without personal cloaking devices.

So it’s like I said, there is new cannon, so it’s anyone’s guess.

 

Sorry, I was just reminded of the cloak Rukh used in his fight with Sabin. So then it is cannon. I suppose it could show up, but probably rare like you say, on just the one min unit.

it also shows up in the new Thrawn book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One simple implementation would be a one-use command card for an operative. That being said, I don't see us getting a Rukh mini any time soon, and he's the only notable cloak user I can think of off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 10:26 PM, Squark said:

One simple implementation would be a one-use command card for an operative. That being said, I don't see us getting a Rukh mini any time soon, and he's the only notable cloak user I can think of off the top of my head.

I think a command card is a pretty good way to represent it. A 1-speed move when given an order (representing how you don't/didn't really know where they are) and surge to block for that turn would be decent, but I'm sure FFG can think of something more creative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's how I think cloak should work as a Unit keyword.

Minis with the "Cloak" keyword can take the cloak action to gain a cloak token. While a unit has a cloak token, they cannot perform attacks without discarding the token. If a unit with a cloak token becomes the subject of a ranged attack, all hits are cancelled and the cloak token is discarded, but suppression is gained where appropriate. If a unit with a cloak token enters melee, they loose the token automatically. If a unit with a cloak token is subjected to an area attack, no hits are cancelled and the toen is discarded.

Edited by Indy_com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

Here's how I think cloak should work as a Unit keyword.

Minis with the "Cloak" keyword can take the cloak action to gain a cloak token. While a unit has a cloak token, they cannot perform attacks without discarding the token. If a unit with a cloak token becomes the subject of a ranged attack, all hits are cancelled and the cloak token is discarded, but suppression is gained where appropriate. If a unit with a cloak token enters melee, they loose the token automatically. If a unit with a cloak token is subjected to an area attack, no hits are cancelled and the toen is discarded.

Cancelling all hits seems a bit strong while at the same time being trivial to counter (one grenade or special weapon in a separate pool). I think it would work better if the unit didn't have any surge conversion unless it has a cloak token, but loses it after making an attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Cancelling all hits seems a bit strong while at the same time being trivial to counter (one grenade or special weapon in a separate pool). I think it would work better if the unit didn't have any surge conversion unless it has a cloak token, but loses it after making an attack.

I thought all attacks from one unit to another unit had to be resolved in a single pool? Or did you mean splitting fire so only one shot that activation was "wasted" on shooting at the cloaker? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I thought all attacks from one unit to another unit had to be resolved in a single pool? Or did you mean splitting fire so only one shot that activation was "wasted" on shooting at the cloaker? 

They do, and yes, that's what I meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

They do, and yes, that's what I meant.

Ah, okay, was just making sure. I agree that would be an easy way of bypassing the previously mentioned potential "cloak" or "stealth" mechanics.

I think that a more elegant way of handling cloak would be to have it provide Cover 2, and/or making the unit immune to Sharpshooter at the expense of slower movement or disabling on an attack. This has the benefit of leveraging pre-existing mechanics that are fairly well understood, with minor modifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018年11月3日 at 2:21 PM, LordBubba said:

 Didn’t shadow troopers have Cloaking devices.?

Yes they do. Actually anyone who played EA Battlefront 2015 and played the Challenge Maps will know what a pain they were. Practically took no damage while cloaked and could one or two shot kill you. Extremely Elite Forces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shadowtroopers are essentially just Stormtroopers painted black and can't see them introducing them as an official squad to the game. Maybe if they gave them backpacks but that would just make them the equivalent of Sand Troopers and just another white armor trooper painted black.

I can't see it being an effective squad because even if you were to call "cloak" on a squad, in reality your opponent can still see that squad on the table, so what is to stop anyone from adjusting their squads accordingly to be ready for an attack from a "cloaked" squad.

The rules or Keywords being discussed just sound more like a personal shield. The way I see "cloak" happening would be a Commander card giving a squad or squads within Range 1 a free move up to Range 2. A temporary cloak as it were.

Edited by C3POFETT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...