Sign in to follow this  
BrotherFett

Clone War Pilot Abilities

But even excluding the varied personalities formed by their different experiences and relationships (and thus skipping iconic clones like Cody, Rex, Wolffe, etc.), wouldn't there still be at least different skills and abilities of clones? Like weren't the ARC troopers badass near perfect replicas of Jango with authority issues and lowest clones to Jedi killed ratio in order 66? And weren't Senate Security trained specifically for security details, or commanders templated with more intelligence and agency? Perhaps all or most of the generic pilots would be the same, but surely the crew or even crew types would vary.

I think it would be antithematic to not offer differentiation. One of the grey areas of the conflict was how so many had seen the forces of both sides as disposable machines. But the clones knew that they were human, even if the voices and actions outside of them in effect said they weren't and their entire ontology centered on being a means to an end (a callous means in war, no less) ****** them up. Hence the most brilliant of retcons, being the order 66 implants furthering this theme as well as offering a means of the clones to express their humanity via agency in the removal of the implants and deserting to start families or just not fight a war that was not theirs (which further raises questions about the Republic [so naturally transforming into a Reich, I mean, Empire] and its politics in which the wholly demonized opposition risks life secondarily to truly expendable clangers). Some Jedi were uncomfortable with the army's premise and shared a bond with these child soldiers, reaching out to this stunted humanity. And some, further casting shade on the order and the political structure it was entwined with, did not.

"We're clones, sir. We're meant to be expendable."

"Not to me."

Edited by player3010587

Anakin Skywalker: Spend a force to remove a stress
Put him in a ship with a good action economy 
He gets to be a powerful I6 pilot
Hints at his later ability to just do actions but also makes his recklessness and reliance on the force more apparent.

Edited by Tailsgod

2 minutes ago, Tailsgod said:

Anakin Skywalker: If you are stressed, you may spend a force to perform an action, treating it as red. During the End Phase, for every stress above 2 roll an attack die and apply the result.

Closer to what was shown in the films I think.

Eeeeh Anakin’s a better pilot than that, though, even if he is reckless. I think just spending a force point to take any action while stressed would be fine, if they went a similar route.

They won’t want to discourage people from playing him in any way outside of being **** expensive because he’s **** good.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, BrotherFett said:

Let's get creative. Pick a character from the Clone War Era and create an unique pilot ability for that character. Try using their personality traits as the basis. Here's mine:

Hondo, crew: Once per round, when you are declared the target of an attack by an enemy, role one defense dice. On an evade result, the attacker must choose another target if able. 

I think this ability, or something like it, fits Hondo well as he is always able to talk his way out of a problem. What ideas do you guys have? 

Looks familiar. Same reasoning - I think Inara could probably talk her way out of any situation.

G01XNyj.jpg

22 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Oh, I really like that, actaully!  Even better.  They all have that ability and are all PS3 (would make flying in formation really easy) with no generics.  Would represent them all having the same training and innate talents, using that to stay in formations and to protect one another with suppressive fire.  Would just have to say that Suppressed condition cannot stack, so once suppressed a ship cannot be given a second Suppressed condition, of course.

This is brilliant!

is

is this bait

i can't even tell

52 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

is

is this bait

i can't even tell

No, I actually think that would be awesome!  I mean the clones are all exactly the same and aren't people, so it would make sense.  And it would make them feel distinct from people, kind of like Calculate has done for droids.  It would also help the Republic have a faction identity.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

WTF... You're kidding right? You do realize what you just said and how messed up it is, right? You ain't just trolling? ****...

Why is it messed up?

For better or worse, the clones in Star Wars are not people, in that they clearly lack personhood (in both the legal and moral sense). They are literally treated as property created by the Jedi and then used as tools without any autonomy or Free Will by the Republic.  And then they are mind-controlled by the Big Bad Guy who even further deprives them of all of their Free Will.  They also appear to have less personality and emotion than most droids in the franchise.*

*Note: I'm sure someone is going to counter about some obscure Clone Wars episode that showed that all the clones were super unique individuals with deep emotional and intellectual lives and hobbies and interests and Free Will.  But I'm just basing this on the AotC and RotS films, as I don't watch the kids shows or read the comics.

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Why is it messed up?

For better or worse, the clones in Star Wars are not people, in that they clearly lack personhood (in both the legal and moral sense). They are literally treated as property created by the Jedi and then used as tools without any autonomy or Free Will by the Republic.  And then they are mind-controlled by the Big Bad Guy who even further deprives them of all of their Free Will.  They also appear to have less personality and emotion than most droids in the franchise.*

*Note: I'm sure someone is going to counter about some obscure Clone Wars episode that showed that all the clones were super unique individuals with deep emotional and intellectual lives and hobbies and interests and Free Will.  But I'm just basing this on the AotC and RotS films, as I don't watch the kids shows or read the comics.

Solid counter point. They were treated like **** so they must be ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

No, I actually think that would be awesome!  I mean the clones are all exactly the same and aren't people, so it would make sense.  And it would make them feel distinct from people, kind of like Calculate has done for droids.  It would also help the Republic have a faction identity.

2 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Why is it messed up?

ZnPyOSZ.png

Edited by Captain Lackwit

7 hours ago, Bullox said:

Looks familiar. Same reasoning - I think Inara could probably talk her way out of any situation.

G01XNyj.jpg

Oh dang! That's too funny! And here I thought I had an original idea! My apologies I'd it appeared I copied.  I love me some Firefly! Was this a custom mode you would play? How fun!

45 minutes ago, BrotherFett said:

Oh dang! That's too funny! And here I thought I had an original idea! My apologies I'd it appeared I copied.  I love me some Firefly! Was this a custom mode you would play? How fun!

No problem, I’ve had that happen to me too.

I created a whole Firefly Epic expansion pack a while back. I posted it in the painting and mods sub-forum but that was about two years ago so it’s probably several pages back now. I flew Serenity once in a test match against a gozanti but I’ve never gotten to use any of these in a campaign yet. Some day maybe.