Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

Cosmere Genesys: Mistborn

I’ve started work on a new series of setting PDFs focusing on the Cosmere, the universe in which the majority of Brandon Sanderson’s various high fantasy book series (Mistborn, Elantris, Stormlight Archive, etc) take place, and I will be starting with Mistborn. School and other issues will be taking up a lot of my time, so I’m not sure how soon I will be able to start posting the PDFs on here for you all, but any ideas, suggestions, or support I can get from you would be great. To start out, I have been fiddling with the different Allomantic metals and this is what I have come up with so far for their effects:

1 Vial = 12 Charges (Allomancy)

Iron/Lurcher

* Burn: 3 Charges = 1 round

- Move, Defend (Others only), uses Discipline

* Flare: 9 Charges = 1 round

- Pull as if 1 Silhouette Heavier

Steel/Coinshot

- Move, Attack, Defend, uses Discipline

- Hitting deals damage equal to your Encumbrance

* Flare: 9 Charges = 1 round

- Push as if 1 Silhouette Heavier

Pewter/Thug/Pewterarm

* Burn: 4 Charges = 1 round

- Increase Brawn & Agility by 1, suffer no strain for second maneuver, 1 ranged/melee defense

* Flare: 12 Charges = 1 round

- Increase Brawn & Agility by 2, suffer no strain for second maneuver, can make third maneuver, 2 ranged/melee defense

Tin/Tineye

* Burn: 1 Charge = 1 round

- Increase ability of Perception/Vigilance check once

* Flare: 3 Charges = 1 round

- Increase ability of Perception/Vigilance check twice 

Zinc/Rioter

* Burn: 2 Charge = 1 round

- Increase ability of Social check once

* Flare: 6 Charges = 1 round

- Increase ability of Social check twice

Brass/Soother

* Same as Rioter

Bronze/Seeker

- Sense Allomancy within Medium Range

- Sense Allomancy within Long Range

Copper/Coppercloud

- Hide Allomancy within Medium Range

- Hide Allomancy within Long Range

Aluminum/Aluminum Gnat

* Burn: All Charges = Instantaneous

- Eliminate all Allomantic reserves in the body

* Flare: N/A

Duralumin/Duralumin Gnat

- Uses all other metals currently burning in one big blast, using up all Charges, effect depends on number of Charges available

Chromium/Leecher

- Eliminates all Allomantic reserves in another individual’s body

Nicrosil/Nicroburst

* Burn 4 Charges = 1 round

- Uses all other metals currently burning in another individual’s body in one big blast, using up all Charges, effect depends on number of Charges available

Gold/Augur

- Shows past version of self

Electrum/Oracle

- Shows spectral images of immediate future, adds 1 ranged/melee defense

- If an enemy is burning Atium, all the benefits they gain from it are canceled against you

Cadmium/Pulser

* Burn: 3 Charges = 1 hour/1 round 

- Creates a bubble of time out into Short Range. Inside the bubble, when 1 round passes, an hour would have passed outside.

* Flare: 9 Charges = 2 hours/1 round

- Creates a bubble of time out into Medium Range. Inside the bubble, when 1 round passes, 2 hours would have passed outside.

Bendalloy/Slider

* Burn: 4 Charges = 1 round/3 rounds

- Creates a bubble of time out into Engaged Range. Inside the bubble, when 3 rounds pass, 1 round would have passed outside

* Flare: 12 Charges = 1 round/6 rounds

- Creates a bubble of time out into Short Range. Inside the bubble, when 6 rounds pass, 1 round would have passed outside

Atium/Seer 

* Burn: 6 Charges = 1 round

- Shows spectral images of everyone else’s immediate future, upgrading the ability of all checks against them by 4 and upgrading the difficulty of all checks they make against you by 4

- If an enemy is burning Atium, all the benefits they gain from it are canceled against you and vice versa

I just recently finished the entire Mistborn series (both trilogies) and one of my first thoughts was "wow! This would be a fun setting to play with Genesys"

So it's awesome to see others who have that same idea.

That being said, I don't think the bookkeeping with metal vials necessarily works with this system. I think it would be enough to say that a vial has the 'Limited Ammo' quality, thus limiting its uses a number of times, and to say that the contents of a vial are assumed to be enough to last a single encounter. From there, you can use Advantage/Threat or Triumph/Despair to influence the narrative whenever necessary. For instance, a few threat might mean that you suddenly fall ill because you realize the vial you bought from that street vendor was actually not the exact compound it needed to be. A Triumph might allow you to 'steal' an opponent Misting's vials from them,.

Don't get me wrong, I really like how much thought you've put into this but you have to consider most combat encounters in this narrative dice system typically last 3-4 rounds. Anything longer than that and they tend to drag on.

Much like conflict in the Mistborn series, conflict in Genesys is largely supposed to be narrative. The idea is to get away from the crunchiness of tactical combat a la D&D and to embrace a more narrative approach to conflict resolution. Describe what you're doing and how you do - make the roll to determine whether you succeed or fail, and then resolve any leftover Advantage/Threat based on the specific circumstances before you.

I think although selhura you are right about the system, there is a balance to be found since it's critical for the setting to track your metal reserves and differentiate between burning and flaring metals.

Johan I hope you keep at it with the setting and complete it soon since I absolutely love the cosmere and just can't wait! I made this account after lurking in the forum for a long time to comment on this. Liked your superhero setting and hope you add more to it in the future. 

Keep it up!

On 2/13/2019 at 8:20 AM, sehlura said:

I just recently finished the entire Mistborn series (both trilogies) and one of my first thoughts was "wow! This would be a fun setting to play with Genesys"

So it's awesome to see others who have that same idea.

That being said, I don't think the bookkeeping with metal vials necessarily works with this system. I think it would be enough to say that a vial has the 'Limited Ammo' quality, thus limiting its uses a number of times, and to say that the contents of a vial are assumed to be enough to last a single encounter. From there, you can use Advantage/Threat or Triumph/Despair to influence the narrative whenever necessary. For instance, a few threat might mean that you suddenly fall ill because you realize the vial you bought from that street vendor was actually not the exact compound it needed to be. A Triumph might allow you to 'steal' an opponent Misting's vials from them,.

Don't get me wrong, I really like how much thought you've put into this but you have to consider most combat encounters in this narrative dice system typically last 3-4 rounds. Anything longer than that and they tend to drag on.

Much like conflict in the Mistborn series, conflict in Genesys is largely supposed to be narrative. The idea is to get away from the crunchiness of tactical combat a la D&D and to embrace a more narrative approach to conflict resolution. Describe what you're doing and how you do - make the roll to determine whether you succeed or fail, and then resolve any leftover Advantage/Threat based on the specific circumstances before you.

I am well aware of how Genesys works. I’ve made more setting books for Genesys by this point than FFG have, and I’ve been running campaigns in those settings since Genesys first came out. However, keeping track of your metal reserves IS an important part of the Mistborn universe. I’m also well aware of how long combat encounters typically take, and if you pay attention to the charges, the only metals that have 1 vial lasting longer than that are non-combat oriented metals like Copper. This is by no means the final product, as I am still working out exactly how to make Allomancy and Feruchemy work, but this is the best answer I have right now. In this case, the amount of detail the author put into the magic system makes it harder to convert into Genesys.

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

In terms of Genesys I think it'd work better if your powers used strain the same way magic does. Each power would have its own set of actions (for steel pushing for example, you could have attack (coin shots), augment (narrate pushing on the wall behind them when lunging), barrier  (narrate pushing on an attackers sword to defend), etc etc. 

Then when they get low on strain, use "vials" as a "painkiller" but for strain instead. 

it plays more into the narrative system that genesys has

perhaps the only change i'd make, is because "flaring" metals is a big part of it - is make it so that you burn strain equal to the difficulty instead of a flat 2

Edited by saethone
update