Piratical Moustache

What IP would you like adapted to an Armada style game?

5 minutes ago, ThatRobHuman said:

Good choice, though I feel like we'd need more fighter variety.

Agreed especially with some of the aliens factions.  Earth Force has what about four different Starfury classes plus Thunderbolts.

27 minutes ago, ThatRobHuman said:

I'm not entirely sure what other franchise would fit for this format. Everyone seems to go for Star Trek, but I don't think the engine suits it. I wouldn't mind a Homeworld take on it, or an original IP.

Homeworld can work, but it is deliberately very "Same-y" for the most part.  By design.  Kind of like Worldworks Games "Wormhole".

Really, there's not a lot of other systems that really play to it well.  You need that disparate between big lumbering capitals and small nimble fighters...

Which, really, leaves us with some other classics:

Warhammer (Battlefleet Gothic)
BattleTech (BattleSpace Battles)
Wing Commander (Oh look, its Mark Hamill...)

...  but my preferences may just be that I enjoy quoting Admiral Tolwyn far too much,.

Edited by Drasnighta

4 minutes ago, ThatRobHuman said:

Wing Commander did come to mind for me, too, but I hardly know enough about it to speak with any kind of authority on it.

Its still primarily two-faction based, but there's at least variety of ship styles and classes from Corvette to Dreadnaught, as well as full fighter compliments.  With that Capship / Bomber / Fighter triad.

Edited by Drasnighta

2 minutes ago, Piratical Moustache said:

I thought it would be interesting if FFG made Twilight Imperium into a diverse brand, and had an Armada style game for some of the TI races.

Imagine the bizarre possibilities, like what an Arborec capital ship would look like.

It would be a very visually interesting experience to design around.

My only issue is the base subject matter...  I mean..  Emphasising the War in a game where War is Bad and Best Avoided...  There's little story to "get behind" as well...  You'd need to invest a lot in that side of it to sell it, I think...  But that's not the point of the exercise, I'm aware.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

A world war 2 naval game would work great with Armada rules, wouldn’t it?

ww2 naval engagements were OTH between aeronaval groups, and proved that Battleships were outdated. The rare ship-to-ship gun battles were fought by units under 250m long (Yamato was 263m), at ranges between 40 and 15 km, with a hit probability that began at 4-5% and improved with each broadside, but never went really over 30%. Under 8 000m was dangerous for big ships as it went into torpedo range, and armor piercing rounds tended to explode after having gone through the target. A direct hit from a battleship round would litterally disintegrate anything smaller than a cruiser at any range. And there is no fighters whatsoever

Besides, what was paramount in ww2 navies was the "keeping of the line". so as no ship was to steer out of the line of battle, except if it was unable to fight anymore. The reason was that optical and rough radar fire directors could not calculate and give fire coordinates fast enough (calculating was done by hand or/and with abacus and slow analogic calculators) if the starting point (I.E. the ship) was not stable relatively to the target.... there is no way a fight would go to the scramble we see on Armada tables.

Armada can't get that right...

it can perfectly get Medieval/Renaissance naval fight, it can even be very accurate for it, my dream is to play the Battle of Lepanto with the armada rules; short range/inaccurate guns, low grade steering, inefficient commanders, ramming and boarding, gunboats, etc...everything you see on an Armada table!?

for Scifi, Babylon5 is good, Star trek and Gundam were explored by fans and seems good too

Andromeda would be great, 4 or 5 factions, fighters/small crafts, a few big ships each, no given federation but local partnership between factions. Plus the Andromeda ship design is a beauty (even if military challenged?)

Star Trek, without a doubt. Ditch the fighters altogether, use the three basic base sizes for differently sized ships, repurpose the three color dice for phasers versus disrupters and torpedoes, and have great fun. It's the game Attack Wing should've  been, if Wizkids hadn't been in such a hurry to cash in on X-wing.

1 hour ago, NebulonB said:

compared to the majesty of a D‘deridex Warbird in Romulan green, what is SW again? ?

Y'see, I'm not a huge fan...  But I'm not sure if thats just because every iteration that's been done of it so far is either horridly overcomplicated (SFB, although I do enjoy it so on occasion), or just so horrendiously mismanaged (ST:AW)