bblaney001

Rise of the Separtist's release date?

The delay isn't what concerns me so much as the complete and utter radio silence from FFG about this. I now have a campaign ready to start on the 5th that is solely waiting on this book. When I originally scheduled that as the start date for the campaign I thought it was so laughably far out from the release of the book that there'd be no way it could get delayed. Now it's looking very likely.

Just be happy that you don't need/want a translated version. Over here the reprint of the EotE Core was so late, people had to wait over 1 year just to get their hands on the reprint. The people responsible went to only give ANY word about dates when they can guarantee what they are saying - this reduces news to the point where they actually hold the books in their own hands.

And to make this even better: the last thing we are waiting for (and are able to preorder it for a long while already) is Dangerous Covenants - not that the company itself would have any problems to translate those books faster... the whole Star Wars RPG-licensing is a mess...

39 minutes ago, Smog said:

The delay isn't what concerns me so much as the complete and utter radio silence from FFG about this. I now have a campaign ready to start on the 5th that is solely waiting on this book. When I originally scheduled that as the start date for the campaign I thought it was so laughably far out from the release of the book that there'd be no way it could get delayed. Now it's looking very likely.

If your campaign is truly ready to start, then why is it waiting on a book? Surely you don't intend for it to magically transform the moment this book falls into your hands, right? There's always the possibility that the book will actually make things worse (like crafting starships with Fully Operational), and you'll end up regretting not starting without it.

Speaking from a different side of things,  but something similar though no wear to the complete silence of FFG occured with the Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017) community early in the games launch until they established a community correspondent/liaison to communicate with the fans via social media, Reddit and Twitter particularly. This greatly improved morale and appreciation for the developers due to a degree of transparency as well as communication on delays/hiccups in production. 

Been running this system for a while now with a group of great people, some even posters on these forums, and love it as both a Star Wars fan as well as a GM. What do wish is there was more communication between the team working on the game or just transportation side of things, heck I’ll take the cell phone number of the captain of this mysterious boat, so that threads like this could be more constructive and full of excitement for the new content instead of complaints. 

At leasts that’s my two cents.

4 hours ago, Smog said:

Something very similar happened in my case. When we hit December with still no sign of the book, I just kicked off my Clone Wars campaign anyway. 5 sessions in now, with the Monday after next probably being Session 6.

10 hours ago, Underachiever599 said:

Something very similar happened in my case. When we hit December with still no sign of the book, I just kicked off my Clone Wars campaign anyway. 5 sessions in now, with the Monday after next probably being Session 6.

My group use Play by Post on a forum, so we've elected to wait since two players want to be Jedi, two more want to play Clones and the other two want to see the Universal Specs before committing, and a lot of characterisation is down to what will be in the specs and how they work out. How have you found it running the game without the crunch?

7 hours ago, ColonelCommissar said:

My group use Play by Post on a forum, so we've elected to wait since two players want to be Jedi, two more want to play Clones and the other two want to see the Universal Specs before committing, and a lot of characterisation is down to what will be in the specs and how they work out. How have you found it running the game without the crunch?

The game's been going pretty smoothly. Thankfully, only one of my players wanted to be a Jedi, and he's been content with Juyo and Padawan Survivor for the moment. The other two players are playing characters that are effectively mercenaries working for the Republic. I've been using the existing stats for Clone Wars enemies and vehicles for the most part (with a few homebrewed stats for vehicles we haven't seen in the game yer), and it's been working pretty well so far. Granted, my games have always played fast and loose with mechanics and stats, and tend to be far more narrative-heavy, so not having all the stats for capital ships and what-not hasn't impacted my game much.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, Smog said:

I suggest just having your players use the normal force careers in the game and when the book finally releases just let them all respect but keep what xp they have and use that.  In my game we all started out as imperial mutineers of course we had to mutiny first.  That was over two years ago,  we have been allowed to reset our characters once some time early 2018, and when we did considered it a start of a new chapter.  Before no one was allowed to make a force user then after the reset we were allowed too.  We all used the same xp to start out with that we ended on our other characters.  Some of the players chose to keep playing that specific character and those that switched had their main character turn into an npc but was still part of the group but mostly spent their time on the ship doing npc stuff.

When this book comes out we will end chapter 2 and allow another reset on characters.  Since we just hit over 900 xp and most likely will be over 1k xp it should be interesting making an actual jedi.

Edited by Metalghost

On 1/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, Kualan said:

Just proves the whole 'Verified Purchase' thing is a load of bantha poodoo.

So I had seen this review a week ago and posted my own review which got rejected.   Now this review mysteriously disapeared 

It's Just such a shame FFG are being silent on the subject and keeping the fans waiting on releases, as this is what Kills an RPG dead.
It killed off others before as players lost interest because nothing new was being released and more and more delays without explanation just frustrated the RPG fans until they gave up and made their own stuff, ignoring the manufactured products, as not worth the frustration/time/cost/delay etc 

I know FFG are releasing other star wars products and they seem to be developed, shipped & in shops faster than the RPG books but all that does is make folks switch off from a games supplier when they overcharge for their new "premium" products and ignore their ongoing lines in favour of more profitable ones. 

Oh well, guess we'll all just have to wait and see when the RotS book surfaces and what happens to the next release(s) or if anyone can be bothered ....

6 minutes ago, Nosfer2d2 said:

It's Just such a shame FFG are being silent on the subject and keeping the fans waiting on releases, as this is what Kills an RPG dead.
It killed off others before as players lost interest because nothing new was being released and more and more delays without explanation just frustrated the RPG fans until they gave up and made their own stuff, ignoring the manufactured products, as not worth the frustration/time/cost/delay

That's a load of crap. As much as news might be appreciated, lack of news is not "what Kills an RPG dead." If that were the case, then Palladium's lines would long since have died out.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, HappyDaze said:

If your campaign is truly ready to start, then why is it waiting on a book? Surely you don't intend for it to magically transform the moment this book falls into your hands, right? There's always the possibility that the book will actually make things worse (like crafting starships with Fully Operational), and you'll end up regretting not starting without it.

I never said I was going to delay the game. I said the game was due to start on the 5th and I wanted to have the book by then. The only way I would actually delay it is if we get some word by the 5th that says it will be out no later than March (as I don't want the Padawan to have to respec her character on session 3 or 4). Assuming continued radio silence, we will start without it as I really don't need anything from the book other than the Jedi trees.

I'm not up in arms about the delay, claiming it will be the end of the line like some others. I was just voicing frustration with a brief anecdote saying that I had scheduled the game to start with what I thought at the time was a laughably over-estimated date to accommodate this book's release (6 months). I was wrong.

Someone in the other thread made a good point that it's likely caught up in Customs due to the shut down. Customs agents are still working, but probably without their support staff. I bet they are prioritizing perishables and large warehouse hog shipments, so we might not see this thing till after the shutdown ends.

That would explain why some retailers were expecting to have it on the shelves by new years and then it wasn't...

Man, FFG just can't get a break on their shipping...

24 minutes ago, LStyer said:

Then your little birds are telling you more than FFG has told us in a long while.

You're right, they are.........

Edited by 2P51

17 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Someone in the other thread made a good point that it's likely caught up in Customs due to the shut down.

I doubt that's the reason. The book's been on the boat since September, typically a 6-8 week period. The government's been shut down for about a month, so there's a month before the shutdown that's unaccounted for.

22 minutes ago, Andrewjo said:

I doubt that's the reason. The book's been on the boat since September, typically a 6-8 week period. The government's been shut down for about a month, so there's a month before the shutdown that's unaccounted for.

Yeah, buuuuut, one of the project street dates was Dec. 31. If the ship was supposed to arrive in Nov/ Dc., and the container hadn't been processed by the shutdown in Dec. It would make sense.

35 minutes ago, Kilcannon said:

Another reason to not like the current government situation.  They are stopping us from seeing new specs

Except the shutdown doesn't explain why it was on the boat since September. It doesn't take four, three, or even two months to cross the ocean in a cargo ship. Four to six weeks at most. 

I am very skeptical the shutdown has anything to do with it, and even if it does, it's likely only part of a larger issue. Even as bad as FFG is about communication concerning releases, I would think that if they could honestly blame the book's delay entirely on the shutdown (or any other external factor) they would have quickly done so.

5 minutes ago, EinherjarLucian said:

Except the shutdown doesn't explain why it was on the boat since September. It doesn't take four, three, or even two months to cross the ocean in a cargo ship. Four to six weeks at most. 

No, but a ship can sit at anchor for weeks waiting for dock space to unload. Containers can sit for weeks in a pier waitng for rail space. I ordered an SUV from Toyota, it sat 4 weeks port of LA waiting on rail space.

Crossing the ocean in peace time is the easy part of a logistics chain.

Read a story on a winery or meadery that can't bottle a product because the label they need is issued by the Feds.

Edited by 2P51