bblaney001

Rise of the Separtist's release date?

7 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, but even I have to admit that a “greatest hits” package isn’t the best sign.

True, but if they did similar splatbooks for vehicles and gear, surely they'd be good sellers without much additional cost on their part. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:55 AM, Kilcannon said:

Not happy seeing a great system going in this direction.  Before you know it we willhave a new system a different company makes...maybe white wolf this time

You know White Wolf basically edgelorded itself out of existence? It got so bad that its parent company dismantled it rather than deal with the constant headaches created by WW leadership.

https://www.white-wolf.com/newsblog/a-message-from-white-wolf

1 hour ago, Stan Fresh said:

You know White Wolf basically edgelorded itself out of existence? It got so bad that its parent company dismantled it rather than deal with the constant headaches created by WW leadership.

Yeah, Paradox Interactive yanked that up hard.  Honestly any period of White Wolf would not have been a good fit for doing a Star Wars setting if you asked me.  Mechanics wise maybe, but in getting in the right mental space for setting I don’t think they had it.

42 minutes ago, Hchar said:

Mechanics wise maybe

WW were never cinematic or storytelling-oriented, for all their talk about it. The rules were clunky and full of unnecessary fiddly bits that got in the way of telling a story together. In a lot of ways it was closer to DnD than to something like FFG SW or Powered by the Apocalypse.

Re: White Wolf

I tend to agree with the sentiment that they were always a little full of themselves, though the most recent incarnation takes the cake.  There was after all a reason why their World of Darkness setting was also known as World of Over-Bearing Angst ;) (amidst far less polite names), though at least back in the 90's they weren't being nearly as insensitive as the Swedish Wannabe Edgelords of the most recent iteration were in their efforts to be "edgy."

Then again, this was the same company that back in the mid-90's published a Street Fighter RPG (based upon the SFII material) that in spite of the clunky mechanics has an oddly quirky charm provided one embraces the kung fu action theater feel and overall cheesy fun of the setting.  A friend of mine recently ran a one-shot of said game, making a few mechanical tweaks borrowed from Vampire 5th edition, and once we got a handle on the fight mechanics it was actually quite a lot of fun, with hopes of going from one-shot to episodic campaign series.  So there was at least a brief period of time where White Wolf wasn't too full of themselves.

@Donovan Morningfire "So there was at least a brief period of time where White Wolf wasn't too full of themselves." 

I think that was when they were publishing Ars Magica, and Vampire was just starting out.  So what did they write about Chechnya?

9 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

WW were never cinematic or storytelling-oriented, for all their talk about it. The rules were clunky and full of unnecessary fiddly bits that got in the way of telling a story together.

While I wholeheartedly agree that their mechanics were a mess, the books nevertheless encouraged players and GMs to approach RPGs with a more story-and-character-driven mindset; which in my opinion was a big step in a good direction.  And at least where I was living at the time, it opened the hobby to a much broader fan base than it had previously had; for which I will always be grateful.  That said, I'm not the least bit sad to see them go. 

7 hours ago, Eoen said:

@Donovan Morningfire "So there was at least a brief period of time where White Wolf wasn't too full of themselves." 

I think that was when they were publishing Ars Magica, and Vampire was just starting out.  So what did they write about Chechnya?

As far as I can tell they had attempted to use the real-world ongoing massacres of the LGBT+ community in Chechnya as a plot point in their two most recent books so they could get a few cheap points on the angstometer. After this was pointed out the entire industry quite rightly asked what the heck they were doing, and the ensuing backlash saw everyone involved in producing the books in question fired and White Wolf's ability to produce any material removed.

So let's hope FFG doesn't do anything more controversial than a Sequel Trilogy sourcebook!

For my money, I think they've already wound this line down to a one-book-at-a-time model more or less, if they were better at calculating shipping times anyway (I think I agree with the previous poster who suggested a bad misprinting problem). They'll keep giving us content as long as we buy the books, but that happy era when we had three or four books in line at once is long gone. That said, there is a possibility of some very good content still - I'd eagerly buy a big book of gear, and the Era sourcebooks had some of the best content from the d20 line, so I'm optimistic we will at least get good stuff.

23 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

I wasn't implying if White Wolf (or whatever they are called now) would be a good thing

11 hours ago, Vorzakk said:

While I wholeheartedly agree that their mechanics were a mess, the books nevertheless encouraged players and GMs to approach RPGs with a more story-and-character-driven mindset; which in my opinion was a big step in a good direction.  And at least where I was living at the time, it opened the hobby to a much broader fan base than it had previously had; for which I will always be grateful.  That said, I'm not the least bit sad to see them go. 

Agree 100% in their 1st and 2nd editions they had taken roleplaying to a different level.  Mechanics always got morw crunchy as the editions came.  The original masquerade background was great.

10 minutes ago, Kilcannon said:

I wasn't implying if White Wolf (or whatever they are called now) would be a good thing

Sure. I'm saying it can't be WW because they don't make RPGs anymore.

On one hand I'm hyped for the release, but I'm also worried about the upcoming release schedule. I know that the RPG line hasn't been nearly as profitable as Armada, X-Wing, and Legion, and I know that, if I were in charge of a company and wanted to make a profit, working more on the unprofitable line wouldn't be what I'd do, even if said RPG line is better than any for the genre that came before it.

Profitability of the product > quality of the product.

3 hours ago, Galakk Fyyar said:

On one hand I'm hyped for the release, but I'm also worried about the upcoming release schedule. I know that the RPG line hasn't been nearly as profitable as Armada, X-Wing, and Legion, and I know that, if I were in charge of a company and wanted to make a profit, working more on the unprofitable line wouldn't be what I'd do, even if said RPG line is better than any for the genre that came before it.

Profitability of the product > quality of the product.

We don't really know the particulars of the license. There could be a "use it or lose it" clause in there somewhere that mandates they can't just ditch RPGs in favor of miniatures and card games.

Edited by SavageBob

On 1/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, Stan Fresh said:

What is sad is they werent trying to edge lord. Some idiot editor merged 2 perspectives in to one horrifyingly bad perspective. I kind of want to see what the original intent was. Because the result is horrifyingly crass.

9 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

What is sad is they werent trying to edge lord. Some idiot editor merged 2 perspectives in to one horrifyingly bad perspective. I kind of want to see what the original intent was. Because the result is horrifyingly crass.

Weren't they? They developed and published it. This wasn't the doing of some lone rando lost in a vast company bureaucracy.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, Nytwyng said:

Yeah, but even I have to admit that a “greatest hits” package isn’t the best sign.

Nah, the game needs some collation of elements that are in too many books at the moment for the casual GM, and there's some new content. Hopefully they will do this with ships as well and add some new art.

Edited by Eoen