bblaney001

Rise of the Separtist's release date?

2 hours ago, Yaccarus said:

I say we all take a road trip to a port at San Deigo, board the ship via rowboat, buy and unload one crate of books on our own, and resell said books in time for Christmas with a markup.

LA babe, not Diego, you need more points in land nav.....

A little off topic, but does anyone have an opinion on which core book would go best with a clone wars game?

I have a group that is excited about playing a squad of clone troopers during the war, but we've only got one of the beginner boxes right now.

4 minutes ago, Tesoe said:

A little off topic, but does anyone have an opinion on which core book would go best with a clone wars game?

I have a group that is excited about playing a squad of clone troopers during the war, but we've only got one of the beginner boxes right now.

Age of Rebellion. It has a very military bend to it.

1 hour ago, Tesoe said:

1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

Age of Rebellion. It has a very military bend to it.

You could also combine it with Force and Destiny, given the heavy Jedi presence. 

24 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

You could also combine it with Force and Destiny, given the heavy Jedi presence. 

...or you could do it with EotE and focus on how the war impacts the criminal parts of the galaxy.

It’s not all that different from any other time period, all three games have their place in the Clone Wars.

1 hour ago, Tesoe said:

Best option is probably Age of Rebellion as kaosae said, especially for campaigns that are going to have a primarily military bent to it and the bulk of your PCs are regular sentients and not Force users of any stripe.  It does help that the careers in general are all geared towards active combat (some are better at it than others) or at least supporting active combat in some fashion.  It also offers the Recruit universal spec for allowing those PCs who aren't combat-focused to quickly get up to speed thanks to some very handy talents that bolster up their selection of in-career combat skills.

Force and Destiny is a close runner up if you've got one or more Jedi in the group; you might not be using the F&D careers and specs for some of those characters, but the book does have more of a focus on how to handle the Force in your games in addition to providing a bevy of options for lightsabers (because let's be honest, the 'saber offered up in EotE and Aor is horrendously powerful) and Force powers.  But if nobody's interested in playing a Jedi or any other type of Force user (which can happen), then it's borderline useless.

Edge of the Empire is very much an edge case, but it works if you're running a campaign where the PCs are on the fringes of the war, not unlike Honoka's crew of pirates in TCW, or are freelance operators willing to work for whomever can pay their price (or at least pay without screwing them over).  A number of the careers aren't really geared towards combat roles, which can be a problem in a Clone Wars campaign that centers on the war.

Personally, Tesoe, I think the others here are overthinking things.  I would have to assume the new CW book would include everything you would need to create and play in a campaign centered on war ... especially in regard to small unit tactics.

Therefore, I believe your core book should either be something that includes alien species you’d prefer playing as and/or a setting you might wish to indulge in after you’ve exhausted your CW itch.

That said, if you’re interested in playing characters like Hondo or Cad Bane, wheeling and dealing during the war?  Well, yeah, EotE might be your best bet.

*shrug*

6 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

Personally, Tesoe, I think the others here are overthinking things.  I would have to assume the new CW book would include everything you would need to create and play in a campaign centered on war ... especially in regard to small unit tactics.

This is FFG we're talking about. The one thing they go out of their way to do is to make sure you don't get everything you need in one place. They want you to feel a "need" to buy everything, and they have a Cylon-esque "plan" to get you to do it.

7 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

This is FFG we're talking about. The one thing they go out of their way to do is to make sure you don't get everything you need in one place. They want you to feel a "need" to buy everything, and they have a Cylon-esque "plan" to get you to do it.

I love FFG, but they do tend to have a habit of solving every issue and answering every question "in the next source book!" I don't mind getting additional books, but feel like if they made video games I feel like they'd be in the EA/Activision model of "All you dreams come true when you purchase THIS new DLC!"

It's not as bad here since it's a roleplaying built on coming up with stuff on your own. I had my own squad rules (they weren't great but I had them) before I got anything with an official rule set for them.

On 12/21/2018 at 4:46 PM, Harlock999 said:

Therefore, I believe your core book should either be something that includes alien species you’d prefer playing as and/or a setting you might wish to indulge in after you’ve exhausted your CW itch.

That said, if you’re interested in playing characters like Hondo or Cad Bane, wheeling and dealing during the war?  Well, yeah, EotE might be your best bet.

*shrug*

Look at Dawn of Rebellion. It is going to be like that.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:59 AM, evo454 said:

I love FFG, but they do tend to have a habit of solving every issue and answering every question "in the next source book!" I don't mind getting additional books, but feel like if they made video games I feel like they'd be in the EA/Activision model of "All you dreams come true when you purchase THIS new DLC!"

It's not as bad here since it's a roleplaying built on coming up with stuff on your own. I had my own squad rules (they weren't great but I had them) before I got anything with an official rule set for them.

I used to have a negative opinion of this business model, and I can see the complaints for things like X-wing where you’re buying an entire piece just for an upgrade card, but with the rpgs as a GM I’ve always been able to find other stuff to make the purchase worth it. So if a player has an idea requiring only one page from a sourcebook I’ll usually snag it, copy the material for them, then scan the rest of the book for interesting/useful things.

46 minutes ago, ExileofEnya said:

Don't get a Despair!

“You accidently open a container that has a Rancor in it that you now have to fight.”

“Wouldn’t I have noticed that the container was too big? Or wouldn’t there be danger signs.”

“...”

”Alright, let’s roll initiative.”

On 12/24/2018 at 4:38 AM, Yaccarus said:

“You accidently open a container that has a Rancor in it that you now have to fight.”

“Wouldn’t I have noticed that the container was too big? Or wouldn’t there be danger signs.”

“...”

”Alright, let’s roll initiative.”

It's the size of a Holocron, your only warning was when it was activated it immediately expanded knocking you off your feet as it released the clearly furious predator from whatever pocket dimension it was being held in stasis within.

You figure it might have been a Sith artefact since Jedi aren't usually that nasty!😉

Edited by copperbell

On 12/23/2018 at 2:12 AM, Daeglan said:

Look at Dawn of Rebellion. It is going to be like that.

As I've never had the pleasure of looking through that particular book, please allow me to ask a few basic questions:  Do these era books not include careers and accompanying specializations from which to choose?  And, if so, couldn't you simply create, say, Clone Trooper/Clone Pilot?  And, if that was indeed the case, would you then not need any kind of Soldier or Hired Gun career to accompany the Clone Trooper career/specialization?  And finally, if that's how the era books work, would it then not matter which core book you used for the general rules?

Sincerely curious...