Jump to content
bblaney001

Rise of the Separtist's release date?

Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2018 at 9:02 AM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Given that most of the status updates to "Shipping Now" tend to occur on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and this week being a holiday week here in the U.S. (where FFG is based and does most of their shipping), it's not likely we're going to see an update until next week at the earliest, simply due to staff being on vacation for the holiday.

Soonest we can probably expect an update to "shipping now" would be next week, meaning it'd be on the shelves around the 14th of December, which is well past Black Friday which is the big shopping day in the U.S.  Then again, RPG products typically aren't impacted all that much by sales seasons, with the exception of gift sets, of which this book is not.

My guess (bases solely upon speculation) is that if we've not seen an update to "shipping now" by December 7th, then we're probably not seeing the book until January.

It sucks to wait, as I'm also eagerly anticipating getting this book, but it's the nature of the business, especially as it seems the SWRPG line is winding down in favor of newer lines such as Genesys and L5R that have a great deal more untapped potential.

Could it be that FFG is working behind the scenes on a second edition of the SWRPG line?  Possible, but we won't know until they announce it, since for all we know they might well be willing to only publish one or two RPG sourcebooks a year and instead make the bulk of their money off the various minis and card games, both of which are historically far more lucrative in terms of profits than RPGs.

I wouldnt be surprised if it went shipping no next week and on the shelf thenfollowing week. I mean we have gotten new articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 7:49 PM, the mercenary said:

I've got this ordered and am looking forward to it. At the same time, I'd be just fine with no more era books, instead concentrating on region books. The Corporate Sector and Zygerian space would probably be the first two that I'd like to see, as well as more details about Wild Space and the Unknown Region. Whichever order would be fine with me. I'd most likely buy Old Republic era books, especially if they had new species, new careers and specializations, new talents, and maybe a Force power or two for the Force-using NPC's that turn up now and then (since my players have expressed zero interest in being Force users/sensitives).

Old Republic Era book would be only the second one (after my main character's career book) That I actually pre-ordered. That is a dream I dare not dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Daeglan said:

I wouldnt be surprised if it went shipping no next week and on the shelf thenfollowing week. I mean we have gotten new articles.

Not for a minute though. It'd make sense for a christmas release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luahk said:

Old Republic Era book would be only the second one (after my main character's career book) That I actually pre-ordered. That is a dream I dare not dream.

I’d like to see a galactic civil war era book, a clone war book, a dark times book, a new republic era book, and a new trilogy book.

An imperial book, an alliance book, a Jedi pre-clone Wars  book.  Also corporate sector, more sector books, and of course adventure books.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, does anyone know what happened to the next preview? The previous one said there'd be a preview "next week" (aka last week) about GM stuff, but nothing showed up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kualan said:

I'm really liking the concept of this 'troupe' style of play and the focus on emulating the serial feel of the TV show.

Yeah Ars Magica!  Troupe style play is fun, we are already doing that in my group.  In Ars you played a mage, a companion, and shared a troupe of Grogs to play.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kualan said:

I'm really liking the concept of this 'troupe' style of play and the focus on emulating the serial feel of the TV show.

I've no interest in a CW game per se, but the mechanics they mention could be very useful in an AoR campaign, from either side...

Edited by Lorne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lorne said:

I've no interest in a CW game per se, but the mechanics they mention could be very useful in an AoR campaign, from either side...

 

Agree

 

Honestly, I think most people could find a use for it, if they have players that enjoy that style of play... For AoR in any era, you obviously have squads of actual soldiers. For EotE, you can easily use underlings... What sort of crime lord doesn't have underlings, after all? A bit less common than in AoR of course (the lone smuggler is a trope for a reason), but definetly many who will enjoy that. For FaD, the classic archetype that'd be using squads is of course the Jedi General, but honestly, FaD classes can neatly slot into any other campaign, so you cna probably do military squads or crime gangs or whatever you want easily there as well. Maybe squads of trainees, or "menials" who are not force sensitives but want to help you anyway? Or ****, just bodyguards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the squad rules will be refined and expanded from those found in the AoR GM screen. They're very useful, particularly in this kind of story but it seems people on here want something a hair more susbstainial. They did expand mass combat rules from Onslaught at Arda 1 later so they could do it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kualan said:

I'm really liking the concept of this 'troupe' style of play and the focus on emulating the serial feel of the TV show.

 

Yes, it sounds interesting. Could be quite useful in the EotE campaign I"m running right now where the PC's are loosely affiliated with Saw's partisans and doing jobs for the Black Sun while also getting mixed up with Hutts, local criminal groups, other rebellious groups, and the Empire being the cherry on top. It would be interesting to be able to have multiple teams doing multiple things at the same time, supporting each other, and let the players either make it happen or fail, rather than just a die roll. 

 

This makes me more interested in this book. It needs to start shipping already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, the mercenary said:

This makes me more interested in this book. It needs to start shipping already.

Too bad it's still on the boat and has been there since the last update in early September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheJack said:

I'm pretty sure the boat it's being shipped on is a sailship... Or the captain had to dump the cargo to avoid trouble with the law

Haha, sure seems like it.

 

I think someone here posted a link before that went into great detail about the movement of cargo ships. IIRC, the most cost-effective speed for them to travel was something like 3 kph or some ungodly low number. And I think they don't take a direct course from A to B, there are some pointless turns here and there. Though that could just be military vessels.

 

Also, "On the boat" *could* simply mean that it's left the publisher. Technically, once it's left it *is* "in transit". Even if the container sits in the container yard by the dock for two months, it technically is in transit. 

 

The waiting sure bites though. I'd gladly pay more for books that were printed in the US or Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the mercenary said:

Haha, sure seems like it.

 

I think someone here posted a link before that went into great detail about the movement of cargo ships. IIRC, the most cost-effective speed for them to travel was something like 3 kph or some ungodly low number. And I think they don't take a direct course from A to B, there are some pointless turns here and there. Though that could just be military vessels.

 

Also, "On the boat" *could* simply mean that it's left the publisher. Technically, once it's left it *is* "in transit". Even if the container sits in the container yard by the dock for two months, it technically is in transit. 

 

The waiting sure bites though. I'd gladly pay more for books that were printed in the US or Canada.

 

Yeah, according to the legend on the "Upcoming" section, "On the boat" just means it has been printed and has left the printers. Large container ships do indeed take it slow, due to fuel efficiency... I suspect what might seem like pointless turns is actually trying to avoid or utilize ocean currents too. Still though, slow as balls, but 3 months seems a bit excessive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheJack said:

 

Yeah, according to the legend on the "Upcoming" section, "On the boat" just means it has been printed and has left the printers. Large container ships do indeed take it slow, due to fuel efficiency... I suspect what might seem like pointless turns is actually trying to avoid or utilize ocean currents too. Still though, slow as balls, but 3 months seems a bit excessive

 

It might be different for cargo ships, but from what I was told when I did a WESTPAC deployment, if we had gone straight from San Diego to Hong Kong it would be viewed as an act of war. At the very least, it would be considered an aggressive action. 

 

That could just be one of those .mil rumors that got started from someone talking out of their fourth point of contact. Or it could be a holdover from hundreds of years ago. Who knows. 

 

You're absolutely correct though, several months seems quite excessive. I guess that's why I'm not the head of some global shipping company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...