bblaney001

Rise of the Separtist's release date?

Like the backlog of releases that FFG released last year, it was pretty obvious that certain items that were listed as "on the boat" had already arrived at FFG and were simply being delayed to stagger releases.  My suspicion is Rise of the Separatists is probably in FFG's warehouse already, and FFG is choosing to delay the release... but why would they delay the release until April???

HINT: There's this big convention coming up in April which has something to do with some kind of war in the stars...

My suspicion is it's being delayed to coincide with Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.  Clone Wars is going to have a pretty big presence at the convention as the new season of the show releases later this year... in addition they will be celebrating the 20th Anniversary of TPM.  It would make sense to push the release until then and do the official unveiling at Celebration (you could probably sell a huge swathe of copies there) and maybe even announce another product or two at FFG's panel.

Yancy

Honestly, by now, I wouldn't even mind if they waited until april to release it, as long as they told us they were doing it

I've been checking the site just about every day for two+ months now :(

8 hours ago, Gallandro said:

Like the backlog of releases that FFG released last year, it was pretty obvious that certain items that were listed as "on the boat" had already arrived at FFG and were simply being delayed to stagger releases.  My suspicion is Rise of the Separatists is probably in FFG's warehouse already, and FFG is choosing to delay the release... but why would they delay the release until April???

HINT: There's this big convention coming up in April which has something to do with some kind of war in the stars...

My suspicion is it's being delayed to coincide with Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.  Clone Wars is going to have a pretty big presence at the convention as the new season of the show releases later this year... in addition they will be celebrating the 20th Anniversary of TPM.  It would make sense to push the release until then and do the official unveiling at Celebration (you could probably sell a huge swathe of copies there) and maybe even announce another product or two at FFG's panel.

Yancy

I was at Celebration Anaheim and when I asked if they had product on hand I was informed that company policy was not to sell at a convention (unless it was GenCon). The policy was in place so that people would support a LGS. I doubt that they are holding it until then or that they would change their policy regarding con sales, the more likely scenario is that they might be holding the book until X-Wing Wave 3 is released but the more likely explanation is that the company they went with after the last shipping company went under requires them to ship in larger quantities to keep the prices at the same rate.

1 hour ago, EinherjarLucian said:

I mean, it's likely some time between 31 Jan 2019 and the heat death of the universe.

Do you believe in an open or closed universe, our universe is just about neutrally stable so we could go either way, as in a hot or cold death, I'm asking because a cold death could take a lot longer.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:32 AM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Well, there's one "gloom and doom!" yokel over in the AoR that's predicting FFG is going to completely kill the line (no support, no reprints, no anything) once Rise of the Separatists is released, and would probably cite the "constant delays" in getting this book to shelves as FFG trying to string along the customer base.

Doom and gloom aside, it's a hard pill to swallow that there are presently only 2 new RPG products in the Upcoming page - the "in development" Android supplement, and this book, and nothing else.  Sure, we're not really owed any updates but it sure would be nice.  I don't see much point in a company stringing along a customer base, it seems more likely that finances play a large part in this, e.g. the exit of Christian from the helm of the N.A. branch. 

To boot, only 2 reprints, last updated in September as well. 

Edited by themensch
new information

13 minutes ago, themensch said:

Doom and gloom aside, it's a hard pill to swallow that there are presently only 2 new RPG products in the Upcoming page - the "in development" Android supplement, and this book, and nothing else.  Sure, we're not really owed any updates but it sure would be nice.  I don't see much point in a company stringing along a customer base, it seems more likely that finances play a large part in this, e.g. the exit of Christian from the helm of the N.A. branch.

My hope is that more will be announced during Celebration in April. I'd love to see some more source material for something like Old Republic or the New Republic eras. I know there is a Force Awakens Beginner Game, but I don't think it would be outlandish to say they might do a source book for that time period since it's the direction the new trilogy has gone and its arguably the one we know the least about (Old Republic in RP can just go based on non-canon sources and there's a slew of stuff for the OT and Clone Wars to pull from).

40 minutes ago, themensch said:

There is also the Shadowlands book and an adventure for Legend of the Five Rings rpg on the way.

But it seems to me that canon stuff for the Star Wars rpg is mostly mined out except for the sequel stuff that will most likely be collected in an Era book in 2020. FFG might be working on Age and an Edge regional books and delve deep into Legends stuff and making new content.

50 minutes ago, themensch said:

Isn’t there also a L5R book coming up, too?

Also, aren't there a few veteran forum-goers who have rather heavily implied they have seen/playtested for large portions of - if not the entirety - of this book?

Given the sort of lead times we see between development and retail, I would presume there are still books coming down the line and until we start to see whispers from those forum posters that the pipeline has dried up then there isn't anything to worry about.

13 minutes ago, Kualan said:

Also, aren't there a few veteran forum-goers who have rather heavily implied they have seen/playtested for large portions of - if not the entirety - of this book?

Given the sort of lead times we see between development and retail, I would presume there are still books coming down the line and until we start to see whispers from those forum posters that the pipeline has dried up then there isn't anything to worry about.

Just because they started it doesn't mean they're going to finish it.  No announcement, no product, at the end of the day. 

9 minutes ago, themensch said:

Hm, didn't show up on the upcoming page for RPGs, maybe I missed it. 

I could swear I saw one in the News banner just a few days ago, but can’t find it now.